Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 05:32 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Ok its been 5 months since I joined IW (BG2 Discussion) to seek help and give help. I logged on to see if anyone had answered the questions I posted..and know I'm going to re-install BG2 (with saved games) and start playing again [img]smile.gif[/img] . I'm up to the part which you give the money to the guy to seek help about Imoen (Chapter 3?) Now for the questions;

1: Can someone tell me a more indepth explantion of THACO and if the higher or lower it is the better [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
2: Can someone also explain more about saving throws, and all the nitty gritty stuff about D&D [img]smile.gif[/img]
3: Was Icewind Dale made before BG2 and is it better/worse? Just curious

I know these questions must seem stupid but I haven't played it in a while you know [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: GokuZool ]

GokuZool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 05:55 AM   #2
Whailor

Allrighty. Here are my - certainly NOT indepth - answers:

1) THAC0 - the lower the better. I never cared about the details though, as long as I can hit 'em;
2) Also the lower the better. Again - never cared about the details, as long as my spells land and no spells land on me, I am cool;
3) When you play BG1 (with TotSC I think), then it shows a trailer of IWD, so I suppose it was made after BG1 but before BG2.

Now, here are my answers, which are not detailed as you can see But, I live by the rule - if nothing else helps, try again. If not even then, check the readme.txt/manual. And I yet have to read any of those heheh... I am sure that someone more "into" this stuff can and will give you more detailed answers.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Whailor ]

Old 02-05-2002, 06:49 AM   #3
eb
Manshoon

3) Yes Icewind Dale were made before Baldurs Gate 2 Shadows of Amn
Old 02-05-2002, 07:01 AM   #4
Ceridan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1. THAC0 - To Hit Armour Class 0
In 2nd ed D&D this gave you the base roll on a d20 (20 sided dice) to hit an opponent with AC0.
For non - AC0 opponents you took the difference between AC0 and actual AC to find the d20 roll required. Eg THACO 12, enemy AC5, need 7 or greater to hit. So as already said lower the better.

2.Saves.
Used in 2nd ed to avoid effects such as from spells and were the minimun roll required on a d20 to make the save (and so avoid or reduce the effects).

3.Icewind Dale came out after BG1 but before BG2.
Bit more combat-orientated than BG with all the party members being PCs created by yourself. So depends what you prefer, roleplay and story - Baldur's gate, combat and action - IWD.
Ceridan is offline   Reply With Quote