Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 09:02 AM   #1
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

Microsoft Is Using Linux To Protect Its Own Web Site [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

http://www.internetweek.com/story/sh...cleID=13100775

C
Old 08-26-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Thoran
Galvatron

Looks to me like they hired an outside firm to provide a service... I'm sure they'd have preferred if those guys were running Windows but maybe there aren't any in that industry that do, in which case you get what you get. I don't see this as such a big deal, it's not like they've switched over to Linux for their internet server farm... it's just a front end cacheing app. It might actually be kindof clever, anyone targeting microsoft servers would need to go through Linux servers to get to em... providing an additional layer of complexity.

Glad to see Linux making headlines tho... M$ needs some competition.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Well it only seems logical.
Most of the worlds computers run on Windows. Thus hackers and virus-coders choose these machines as their main target. Ever noticed that many virus reports say "only Microsoft machines are affected"? This is not because Linux or MacOS are THAT much safer but because the virii are coded for Windows. So if you want to avoid these badguys the easiest thing to do is switching the OS to Unix, Linux,... or buying a Mac.
So MS just took the easiest step towards their protection.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Yeah, most viruses and worms target windows operating systems and outlook express. I was seriously thinking about switching to linux because of this and the palladium issue but it's too bad more games aren't developed for Mac or Linux...
Old 08-28-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
IAmThumper
Dungeon Master

The reason there are so many Windows viruses is because it is soo easy to make a Windows virus.
Everything that a virus needs is hidden away and protected very well in Linux in the core of Linux operating system so it's VERY hard to make a linux virus. Where as the protection that Windows uses is put on top of the operating system. Windoze is getting better but for every one security update in Linux there are 10 in Windoze. I haven't heard of any linux viruses (in a very very long time) but I've had at least 15-20 different ones on my windoze box this year alone. Heck some of the windoze viruses attack or make use of the virus protection software for goodness sake!
Linux is also getting better wrt games. Some of game makers are starting to port the software over to Linux. It's too bad.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Viri are amazing pieces of craftmanship, but those who make them should be permanently banned from everything electrical.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Naw.... I really think they should be allowed to visit the electric chair
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

The chair will probably short-circuit when you put the buggers on them...