Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2002, 01:50 PM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It does go by quickly. You'll realize later that it wasn't so long after all! Sometimes when I'm dragging myself up for work in the morning I wish I was back in College and could rearrange my schedule to my taste.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:00 PM   #12
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Also, kids, you are learning how to learn, and that will enable you to sudy and learn later on in life what you are really interested in. Listen, I went through 12 yr. of El-hi school, 4 years of college, and then 4 years of medical school, a year of internship and two years of residency, so that I have done 23 years of schooling. My husband, the surgeon, did 25. But, as a result, we can take people apart and put them together again and cure your diseases. So, stay in school.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 03-26-2002, 02:05 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

High fives to Galadria! That's a lot of school, but God bless you for doing it! You and your husband do good things with what you've learned. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 02:07 PM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, to comment seriously, I think that there are a lot of useless things which we're taught, time spent in school that I'd rather spend at home.

Like Music class, rather useless knowledge which we're taught there, I'd rather have more of something useful or just have less time at school to make it all seem more bearable.

Then there's Chemistry, Physics and Biology, 60% of all of the students will probably never find ANY use for any of what they've been taught there in whatever job they end up with.

Oh, and Maths, I am willing to bet that I will NEVER find a use for at least 50% of the equations that I've been taught there, which means a lot of wasted time.....
Old 03-26-2002, 02:16 PM   #15
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Neb, I'm sure that you are right, about never using higher math again, let alone chemistry and physics, but think of it as time spent in the mental gymnasium, building "mind-muscles" for whatever you plan to do.
Cloudy thanks for the high-fives. Attalus says to tell you that he just got into it for the money and to meet women.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 03-26-2002, 02:24 PM   #16
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Good point Galadria, good point. It DOES build mental muscle, but there are still a few things that could be skipped in my opinion.

And it IS nice to know a bit about how things work(Physics, Chemistry and Biology) even if you're never going to use it.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:28 PM   #17
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Math, chemistry, physics stimulates one part of the brain, music, art etc. another..
You need to train both
An besides, music is fun! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 03:29 PM   #18
ʆë®Ñï†Ý
Zhentarim Guard

School isn't just about the lessons [img]smile.gif[/img] I find that many people make friends that way. How else are you going to be in contact with so many people from 9am till 4pm? A lot of my friends are gathered from all the different schools I went to [img]smile.gif[/img] It's fun to be with people ~grynz~ and I find school gives my life routine, otherwise I'd sleep till midday everyday (kinda like I am now, now that I'm on easter holidays *beaming*). Also, if you didn't have to work most of the time, you wouldn't appreciate your holidays as much. *sigh* much as I detest all the work and being in school etc. it's a neccessary evil.

Chatting with your friends helps pass time, and mucking around in general

Old 03-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #19
Azred
Drow Priestess

First, let me defend schools by saying that you can never learn to appreciate anything--music, literature, art, movies, aeronautical design--unless you study it. I enjoy the Gateway Arch in St. Louis more because I know it is a hyperbolic cosine curve. Also, there will be so many things in life that you will not understand at all unless you have been exposed to it via schools, like "how do planes fly?" or "how does lowering interest rates put money into the economy (in theory)?" or "why did the Roman Empire collapse?" (much less "what was the Roman Empire?").
On the other hand, I do wish that I could restructure the cirriculum at public schools, especially here in the good ol' Lone Star State (TAAS is a joke ).

Knowledge is the one thing of which you can never have enough.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:50 PM   #20
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hmmm, well MagiK, I'll agree with you on the experience thing, but if you ask me secondary school doesn't give you much valuable experience, just learning and making friends.
It's only when you go further on and have more responsibilities to take care of that you get the true experience.
But hey, I wouldn't have met some of my closest friends if I didn't go.
Hey Galadria, I'm close to that, if I follow the path to my chosen carrer I think i'll have been in education for a minimum of 20 years, if I do my final training full-time rather than stretched out half-time, if I do half time it'll be more like 23 years,.
I'm not going to tell you lot what I want to be because trust me, it'll bear the brunt of a lot of jokes.
Damn job reputations!!!!!!!