Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2001, 10:42 AM   #11
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

All the games I play run perfectly under Win2k (but then if they didn't I wouldn't play them!) - especially BG2. Even with the way I treat it, it is absolutely solid (couple of early driver problems though) - so much so that I even let my G/F use it
Old 07-06-2001, 12:29 PM   #12
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Hell, that is the computer I have. Dell sux, they hadn't done a full install of everything when I got it, not even the resetbutton (I can't reboot it).
And man, Windows Me is just like 95/98, it just eats more ram... switch it and you'll have quite a monster

The Dell 8100 does not have a reset button. It has a powerbutton (which appears to work fine) and an E-button which takes you to the dell solution center software and provides online support options. if you feel the need to "reboot" try the start menu, or the Power button, As both work fine.

------------------

Get The IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 07-06-2001, 12:37 PM   #13
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

If you run a P4 system with win98 it will only run at 800Mhz.
besides as far as multi tasking goes, i usually have 15 - 20 things going at a time. i will often have BG2, adobe photoshop6, adobe imageready 3, 6 or 7 internet explorer windows, outlookXP and any other application which i happen to need at the time (plus the usual MSN messanger, Aim , or whatever)
If your having those troubles multitasking then i would suspect that you have something wrong with your system, and would recomend a reinstall of the os.

------------------

Old 07-06-2001, 12:38 PM   #14
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

btw memnoch,
Nice system
I want one

------------------

Old 07-06-2001, 01:17 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Memnie Genie, if you haven't started yet using your new big toy, I would really really recommend you get rid of ME and install a good old W98 instead. Wish I had, when I got my new comp last year, with ME pre-installed ...
Memsykins... Moiraine is the voice of reason and sanity! My tech buddies all say ME is for the masochistic user... and darlin...you are anything but that!

Oh and CONGRATS! You will love the new pc! I'm not a major Dell fan either, but they are good with service (we contract w/Dell and Gateway at the Uni where I work). And I'll tell you this...improperly loaded software can happen on any system! LOL

My lovely new Gateway arrived the week before Christmas two yrs ago with a botched software install. Guess who spent her holidays after Christmas, wiping and re-configuring/reloading a 20 gig hard drive? I laugh now...but... ugh..

Anyway, ENJOY the new PC, Memsy! POWER gaming is in your grasp, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-06-2001, 01:26 PM   #16
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Memnoch u bastard! You are blatantly trying to make everyone jealous, I mean :"...comments please!".
Well personally I reckon it's $hit. Get it outa my face
Old 07-06-2001, 01:45 PM   #17
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

Memnoch - nice system!!!!!

I would also recommend switching to Win2k. Yes, there were a couple of issues with the Via chipset, but they've got most of them resolved with patches, etc.

As far as gameplay goes, MS releases Critical Update packages on a monthly basis to help compatibility with programs and games. Keep your system updated, and you shouldn't have any problems. I know I don't.

------------------

Always listen to your heart, for it will never lead you astray.
All bow and cower before the Triumvirate!!!
Old 07-06-2001, 04:21 PM   #18
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Sounds like a nice computer Memnoch! But I hate Dell, they tried to rip me off last year big-time. Thats ok I like my HP.
Old 07-06-2001, 04:31 PM   #19
SunSlip
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I used to work for Dell, and I must say...
well, I thought they were a pretty good company. I'd never buy one, because I'm a build your own type of guy, but if you're not.. well... not a bad way to go.
Get rid of ME, though... good for backups, bad for game playing.
W98 is the way to go, I think... I've had W98 for a long time (first edition) and have been happy with it for everything from Unreal Tournament to Baldur's Gate to Wizards and Warriors to American McGee's Alice.
Had WAY too many horror stories at work with W2k, (uh, I get a VFAT not loading error after I installed Cossaks, what's up?) so I stick with W98 as the game player's platform of choice!
Old 07-06-2001, 05:49 PM   #20
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Those are some NICE specs.

------------------