Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
Christopneuma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Good eve , fellow forumites !!!
My question is one and prayer ye all may be able to help me ......
I defeated brother Poquielon and also managed to get HOW , the question is this i installed HOW after defeating Poquielon and see now that i am not able to retrieve my character at the point of defeating Poqueilon to use in HOW and second question how would i get to kaldahar, confused i am and help would be appreciated thank you

I remain
humble
christopneuma
Christopneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:03 PM   #2
Cayone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Before you fight Poquelion your chars are automatically exported so when you choose to play HoW, you will get to choose whether you use your last chars in IWD or start new ones...
Old 01-13-2002, 06:59 PM   #3
Durwyn
Elminster

And to do that all you need to do is when creating your character in how just press IMPORT and import your IWD Characters into HoW [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Good Luck.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #4
Christopneuma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Durwyn , that`s exactly what i did , the problem arises when after importing the characters the game asks for iwd disk i then insert disk and is starts me off at Easthaven from the beginning , is there anyway actually starting off in that house in Kaldahar doing the airwalk and cruising with that dude to Lonelytown or must i at a point in iwd go to kaldahar comeplete TOL and HOW and come back to IWD and finish up Poqueilion ?

any input would be greatly appreciated ....

thank you all

Christopneuma
Old 01-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Correction ... (may contain spoilers)

I believe that the characters are exported before you fight the final battle against the big baddie (Behlifet) - remember that RBP is first confronted in Lower Dorns Deep as well, so its better to specify exactly where ! These auto-exported characters are identified in your character files as IWD1, IWD2 ... etc.

If you have a save ANYWHERE near the FIRST confrontation with RBP, you can simply retrace your steps from THAT point back to Kuldahar and find Hjolldar to initiate the HOW expansion and THEN after completing HOW, you will be transported BACK to Kuldahar to finish the rest of the original IWD! WORD of CAUTION! Make sure you stash the badges someplace safe if you don't take them with you. The bookcases in Fleezum and Flozzum's rooms make good storage points.

If you don't have a save from that point and want one, let me know. I think I have a save RIGHT after the idol is destroyed but before the FIRST confrontation with RBP. You can simply import your characters into THIS saved game and resume from there.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:19 AM   #6
Christopneuma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Micah , thank you for the expedient response...

The battle i refer to is the last one where Poquelion transforms himself by Jerrod`s Stone at Easthaven!!

If i am to understand you correctly , i assume you are telling me that I should before confronting Poquelion even for the first return to Kaldahar finish up HOW and TOL before returning to Poquelion and destroying him? if this is to be true then i pose another question which is this , do i finish up how then gotot tol or should i also at a poing during how , goto TOL finish that up then finish HOW and then goto IWD ??

any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-14-2002, 12:00 PM   #7
Yukon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually your characters are exported AFTER the final battle in IWD. One of my chracters died during that final battle, but I was still able to import her into HoW. The problem was because she died in the final battle she had NO equipment.. absolutely nothing.. no armor, weapons, items... So of course I went back and re-did the final battle a few times until everyone survived!
Yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:42 PM   #8
Christopneuma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

so which way is the better way then??? play till end of iwd and thern do How or goto How before finishing iwd?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The best way to do the entire sequence of IWD / How / TotLM is as follows: (contains spoilers)
Run through IWD as far as you want (but at least until your characters have reached 9th level!) - otherwise Hjolldar will tell you that you aren't strong enough yet! NOTE: It may be 12th level not 9th, but the level limit DOES exist! My choice for where to make the switch is right AFTER I have destroyed the idol and gotten the last badge! That way, I can save the badges in a chest in a nearby room. I always make a save at this point.

Assuming you are high enough level, talk to Hjolldar in Kuldahar, get transported to Lonelywood and start HOW ... go as far as you want but do NOT go to the Sea of Moving Ice for the final confrontation. If you do that, you can NOT start TotLM. You can do EVERYTHING else before that if you want, but do NOT go to the sea of moving Ice - there is NO return to Lonelywood from that location! I typically make the switch after I talk to the SEER but this is much more subjective.

Go to the Inn in Lonelywood and talk to Hobart Stubbletoes (the halfling man just to the left of the dwarf). That will initiate the TotLM sequence.

Finish TotLM and get transported back to Lonelywood at the inn.

Finish HOW (your characters will be exported into files tagged as IWDHOW1, etc. when you go thru the last door before confronting the big baddie) and get transported back to Kuldahar

Resume IWD and finish the final battle with Behlifet! i believe that the game has been changed slightly as to when it exports your characters. It USED to export a final save when you entered the last chamber with big B, but now I think it may export the characters individually when the game ends.

Recommendations: I like to do an end game save at three locations: (1) before I enter the last chamber in IWD.
(2) before I enter the last room in HOW
(3) and before I go thru the last pentagonal portal in TotLM

and I export my characters BEFORE i enter the last room in IWD before big B.

Remember that containers do NOT export! Scroll cases, gem bags, potion boxes and one other type of item will NOT export with your character! So any items that they contain are lost

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:59 PM   #10
Christopneuma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you Micah .... once again sir you have come to the fall , i will do what you have suggested intrestingly enough i do have a saved game prior to meeting with poquelion for the first time , so i am going to clean out all rooms and dungeons collect all items that have been left behind , sell them and move onto HOW , at least i will be flushed on arrival to Lonelywood [img]smile.gif[/img] , and off course purchase a few beefing up items as well , one more thing...
possible spoiler...

i killed the drow that started the conflict between the dwarves and elves , was it a good thing?