Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Light Bulb

Just started playing it again after 2-3 yr. hiatus. So, these will seem newbie 'cause you guys have likely discussed them often, but...

1. Do you guys think it's better than BGII??? If so, why?? (personally, I missed exploring the individual maps between important locations - I'll probably get over the nastalgia shortly, though.
2. ANyone notice the two paintings in the Friendly Arm - 1st floor, west wall, one to the north of kitchen entrance is old MM cover by Easley, and (I think) the one south of the kitchen entrance is the floating citadel picture from Champions of Krynn.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I prefer BG I to BG II. I just feel that there's real progression in the former; you start out a complete nothing and work your way up to being pretty powerful. I know the same is true of BG II, but I think the difference is more profound in BG I. I too love the individual maps between the more important places; they give it that non-linear feel that I love. I also like the little towns, Beregost, Nashkel, Gullykin; but also the music, the scenery, the genuine thrill of fighting an enemy you know you may not be able to beat. I love the fact that sometimes you can't afford a weapon, or particular suit of armour, and have to go out and work for it. There's just a real feeling of it being you against the world, in that you have to really struggle to get to the top of things.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
1. Do you guys think it's better than BGII??? If so, why?? (personally, I missed exploring the individual maps between important locations - I'll probably get over the nastalgia shortly, though.
I think I remember you from somewhere, TL...now if I could only remember where... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Some of the quests in BG1 are done better than BG2, IMO. And all the quests are finished.

And if you've played BG2... (highlight)
*I also remember how proud I was when my cleric/ranger finally got the lightning warhammer +2...then found it at the Adventurers' Mart on sale. All those nifty little pieces of gear that saved your bacon time and time again in Baldur's Gate turn into not-so-nifty little pieces of crud in Athkatla.*

The thing that bugged me the most in BG1 was the Chapter 3 stretch. Here you are, fresh out of the mines, finished with Nimbul and Tranzig, and you know where to go. Problem is, when you go there, you get your bacon handed to you by the baddies. You need to level up, but how? Enter into the Chapter 3 stretch, going around to all the little maps with their piddly little quests in order to solve the Unstated Quest: earn enough experience to get you to Chapter 4. There are side quests in BG2, but depending on your character and party makeup, they all relate in importance to you somehow.

(This makes the 2nd post where I mentioned bacon. Must be getting close to dinnertime...)
Old 04-14-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I certainly will agree that BGII is certainly overpowered in the magical weapons department. Since creating even a measley +1 swords forces one to sacrifice a CON point, I want to find the Calcutta-style hidey hole where they're putting all these wasting-away mages. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

It's an FR thing: the land where you literally trip over magic items with every step. OF course, now it seems with 3E that all TSR realms work that way. I like the old-style 2nd Ed. Ravenloft setting with VERY LITTLE magic items. You wouldn't believe the adventures one can have when trying to simply find an iron or silver sword to go kill the beastie.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

TL if you're interested in a 2nd ed ravenloft game I'm running one in the RP forum, send me a character, the guidelines are all on the first page of the thread, here
Old 04-14-2003, 12:16 PM   #6
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

I believe you. I still play 2nd ed. AD&D P&P roleplay from time to time. Last time my character tried punch an air elemental with a non magical blade. Nothing happened until the air elemental decided that it was my time to take a hit. After the character hit the nearest wall - face first, the DM asked me to make a morale check and my once so brave fighter decided to turn on his heels and run away.

After having a little conversation with the mage in the party, the once so brave fighter is now looking under each and every rock to see if he can find a better (=magical) weapon.

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane