Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
Gammit
Elminster

Ok, so in my quest to be the best biology/math teacher I can be, I'd like to ask for some advice. What qualities did your favorite teacher(s) have? Specifically, what did he/she do to earn your respect and motivate you to learn? Was it real-world applications/examples? Being motivated themselves? Being open, honest, and fair? Feel free to be elaborate!
Old 11-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

As I plan to attempt to go to school to become a spanish teacher, let me share my thoughts on what I thought I would be able to do to be successful.

Being able to relate: I have a very youthful mind, and love to be opposite of what people expect me to be at my age. I think kids do not want bosses over them, they want friends. I can do that.

Doing it for the fun and love of helping...not for the money. If I wanted to make money, I would begin studying pediatritionry (is that a word?). I prefer to be in a school, helping children prepare for life.

At the moment, those are the only two factors leading my plan. It is not much, but is a start. I look forward to seeing other replies that may help mold my plan into a more formible shape.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
As I plan to attempt to go to school to become a spanish teacher, let me share my thoughts on what I thought I would be able to do to be successful.

Being able to relate: I have a very youthful mind, and love to be opposite of what people expect me to be at my age. I think kids do not want bosses over them, they want friends. I can do that.

Doing it for the fun and love of helping...not for the money. If I wanted to make money, I would begin studying pediatritionry (is that a word?). I prefer to be in a school, helping children prepare for life.

At the moment, those are the only two factors leading my plan. It is not much, but is a start. I look forward to seeing other replies that may help mold my plan into a more formible shape.
You can't be a SPANISH teacher, you are an American!

(I know, I know..back to timeout)

Edit: for colour and panache

[ 11-22-2002, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 11-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #4
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ask your class if they saw the game on Saturday
Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

The teachers that I enjoyed the most, and also learned the most from, always challenged me but did it in a fun and upbeat way. If it is dull and boring to you it will be bore and dull for them. If you have enthusiasm and excitement for what you are teaching and convey it to your students then at least some of them will respond. Of course for those who look at school as serving time before they are released to freedom there is not much you can do.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Not to overstate the obvious, but absolutely knowing your s**t (meaning: subject) inside-and-out would be the first key. If you know your s**t, and can explain it without going over the audience's head, you're bound to figure out the other tricks to being a good teacher.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:51 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

My mother is a teacher for the government and i've never seen students that love and adore her so much, she once had an arabian prine claim that one day he would make her one of her wives (No this is not a joke) she's with the government and teaches internationally and hasn't written any books (though she's published many cook books) I think she should write a biography, the fact that she can't is because of the reason she's such a good teacher, she is dedicated to her studeents and their learning and understanding of their world, she doesnt put stress on them she individually follows and helps each one of them, if they have a problem she helps them to face it and overcome it, she tells her students to not keep secrets or be afraid of the truth, she was the best mother I ever had, and I suppose in that i've had her as a teacher for life... Im making straight As in college and only took the SAT once... clepped out of english all-together and can write for hours on end without a single gramatical error (i consider this my off-time from writing thanks [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) I've had english teachers use my work as examples for research papers and stories, i once even had a class teach a book of mine, I wouldn't have learned to write had it not been for her, much less write well, though a little bit comes from my watching tons of saturday morning cartoons [img]tongue.gif[/img] They say they rot your brain but I learned the entire history of the world from them and every word in the english language [img]tongue.gif[/img] anyway... So if you want to be a good teacher, the main fact is to try and center yourself on who you're teaching, appeal to them, dont give them assignments offer them the abilit to help themselves learn... understanding that learning is important is the first step to learning... at least that's what I think anyway... When She writes a book i'll let you know [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
Mellagar

Humor is a good way to loosen up the class. You don't have to turn the classroom into a comedy hour but a few smiles help. Best way to keep their attention is show them something they've never seen before. In biology I think there are a few things to brighten their eyes, but math....hmmm....you're on your own with that one. Humor is definately needed there, if not...you'll be teaching at nap time every day. Spontaneous, that's another way. Catch them off guard with something they'd never expect a teacher to do. Have them walk into class thinking "What the hell is he going to do today?" Instead of "Another day of hell with him today."
Also, learning. Make them want to learn, not just study textbooks and take tests. All they'll do is memorize it, then forget it. If you can get them to want to listen to you, then it makes life easier on you and the students.

If that doesn't work....recess. Its a sure winner.

[ 11-22-2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Mellagar ]
Old 11-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #9
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Ping-pong!
As in, my ping-pong teacher....
Old 11-23-2002, 09:20 AM   #10
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The teachers I respected had a little touch of iron in them, when the situation called for it. One of them walked out of the class when it got too noisy, and it got us all worried and remorseful . While I'm not a teacher, I feel that it might be better to start off on the sterner side (so students know there are times when you'll mean business) and slowly loosen up with jokes and anecdotes over time. That's better than starting off too chummy, losing control and being labelled a spoilsport / stuffy , etc. later on when you need to regain control of the situation.

Impartiality and passion for the subject are also important.