Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Auldron
Welcomed New User

After installing the "new and improved" 1.27 NWN patch I now get random freezes on my XP pro box... especially on character "customizing" screen. Tried reinstalling & patching again, disabling sound, & lowering all other options to thier lowest setting in-game... all to no avail. WTF? Game worked fine BEFORE THE PATCH, on what plane of exsistance does that make sense? Specs are as follows:

P4 1.6ghz
512MB ram
gforce 4 128MB
VIA AC 97 audio card (POS i know)

I'm thinking this may be a video card driver issue but am unsure of what set is the most compatible with NWN... any help would be shweet!

[ 01-04-2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Auldron ]
Old 01-04-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

Welcome to IW [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I had the same problems, mostly during transitioning between areas, until I upgraded to the new nVidia 40.72 reference drivers. I haven't had any problems at all since.
It could also be your onboard sound as well. Older onboard sound chips are notorious for causing hang ups and problems during gaming.
Good Luck!
As a side note I can't even install any patch above 1.22. Auto update tells me to do it manually because it can't complete it, and trying a manual update doesn't work either! Oh well, game runs fine the way it is.

[ 01-04-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Animal ]
Old 01-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Animal...I had the same problem. What caused it was the camera hack. Though I reset the camera hack values to the Bioware defaults and then uninstalled the hack before updating. I still could not auto update and when I tried manual updates they told me I had a corrupted file. In the end I had to save all my stuff and uninstall the game. I reinstalled it, then patched it. Now it works fine.

While I love the haks and things you can add onto the game they are not official and can cause some serious problems. Anyway, that's how I solved my troubles.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Animal...I had the same problem. What caused it was the camera hack. Though I reset the camera hack values to the Bioware defaults and then uninstalled the hack before updating. I still could not auto update and when I tried manual updates they told me I had a corrupted file. In the end I had to save all my stuff and uninstall the game. I reinstalled it, then patched it. Now it works fine.

While I love the haks and things you can add onto the game they are not official and can cause some serious problems. Anyway, that's how I solved my troubles.
Interesting. I avoid all hacks, primarily for that reason. I'll probably have to do the reinstall again, although I don't play multi and the game runs fine with no problems so I'll probably wait until I really have to.
Why do today what you can put off doing until tommorrow?