Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 02:31 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

How are these processors? Any known issues/bugs? I have a guy from Dell telling me that a 1.4 Centrino runs at about the same pace as a 2.6 P4. True?

Here's a computer I'm looking at getting:
Dell Inspirion 8600
15.4" SXGA
128 Mb Nvidia
512 Mb Ram (upgradable to 2 Gb)
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
60 Gig HDD running at 7200 (desktop rate)
3 yr mail-in warranty/ preferred phone support (w/ a promise that I won't have to talk to tech support in foreign countries)
XP Home
MS Small Business (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Also includes a wireless router -- as if I'd use it.

$2600 less rebates/consideration as business customer = $2200

Because it doesn't have serial/parallel ports I'll have to get a docking station for my printer at $149 later -- which is fine by me as I need one anyway. External 1.44 drive will be $59 (if the docking bay doesn't have one -- need to check on this).

I'm thinking that considering the software and warranty, this even beats out the Area51 Notebook from Alienware.

Any input/comments?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:52 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

A mobility processor running at 1.6 that can match a current-gen desktop processor at 2.4? Yes, I can see that happening. Salesmen lie, but they should at least try and be believable. The pentium-M does seem to outperform the pentium4-M, but not by that much. But it is probably the best mobility processor you can get at the moment so go for it.

That 128Mb Nvidia graphics, is it a GeforceMX? If so, be aware you will have trouble with it, none of the MX series support DX9 which is becoming more and more troublesome. Might even have troubles with ToEE.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:49 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

you can get a dvd writer (i think) if that is in US dollars. with that kind of price.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-08-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Light Bulb

Thats one fine laptop you have there TL!! And do as Harkoliar says: get a DVD-writer! Great for backing-up lotsa stuff that needs backing-up!!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:48 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Andrewas, the Centrino processor is not the same as the Pentium-M (or any Pentium). Centrino is a different chip, Pentium-M is basically a Pentium 4 made for laptops (most notable -- increasing battery life). It outperforms Pentium-M, AFAIK by about as much as it outperforms the P4.

On every machine I'm looking at a DVD-RW adds about $200. Why would I need a DVD-RW when I have CD-RW?? I don't intent to open a knock-off movie shop, nor do I own a camcorder. Barring those, I don't see that a DVD-RW adds anything to my life.

Oh, and thanks for the info about the processor problems. This one is
128 NVidia GeForce FX5650 (I think I got the number right). How can I find out if this has issues or is DX9 compatible? Anyone know?

[ 10-08-2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the replies, guys. I found out the card IS Dx9 compatible. Erm... and I'm learning lots about Centrino technology.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Bumping once more for final thoughts on the Centrino. I think I'm about to drop a load on this, so I'd hate to get a 1.4 Centrino processor that functions at a crappy PIII level.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:59 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
On every machine I'm looking at a DVD-RW adds about $200. Why would I need a DVD-RW when I have CD-RW?? I don't intent to open a knock-off movie shop, nor do I own a camcorder. Barring those, I don't see that a DVD-RW adds anything to my life.
actually im saying that you dont have to get a dvd writer.. im just saying with that price you CAN get a dvd writer (i think) without adding 200 dollars but of course im not sure when it comes to laptop. it could be more expensive.. well its definitly a good laptop

Catch me if you can..