Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
Kzonon
Dungeon Master

Don't know if any/many of you have had experience with this, but I have to fill out a performance review for someone that....well, he's a very likable guy but he just wasn't getting it done. I feel so bad writing what I have to write and I don't want to be seen as shifting all the blame of a project gone bad all on the guy's working for me....

I know how it feels to get a bad performance review but writing one isn't easy.

So,..do I sugar coat it? Do I tell it like it is? Trying to be diplomatic is so hard.....

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Arvon
Unicorn

Yeah! Go for the truth. But limit only to the facts of the matter. No personal feelings, no little digs, no speculations.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 04-17-2003, 12:47 AM   #3
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've done many and have a few ideas that might help.
Make sure to include the good points the employee has,after all this review is likely to effect any raise this employee will get.Negitive points whenever possible should be incorperated into an employee devolopment plan.Showing the areas that need improvment and what positive steps you recomend to help the employee overcome these problems through additional training, seminars, additional responsibilitys to encourage a better teamwork ethic,and many others I don't know your industry or what you have availible.If you can administer the review before the final draft is given to upper managment encourge imput in the devolopment area from the employee they may have goals in the company you are not even aware of.Fill it out in pencil first the employee might have a legitiment point you're not aware of and you might want to change, don't take that as it's a bartering process only that it's not written in stone yet and you are willing to except any pertinent information.If you have this option you will be amazed at the release of tention in the room when the employee realizes you are willing to listen.DO NOT let your personal oppinion of a person effect your oppinion of thier performance,I've had people I liked with poor performance,and people I couldn't stand that objectivly were doing well.
One to consider and this isn't a cover your butt and say all is good, the guy doing your review might wonder, if this person you review poorly is still here where is your documentation of problems with them, disiplinary reports of infractions, and your recommendations for employee growth from before the review.Heck a smart employee will say if these problems really exsist why wasn't anything said when it happened.When filling out the review avoid useing the same expressions and words, You would be amazed how many will show them to each other in private like report card day, makes you look ingenious if the same phrases keep poping up.The best tool I've found is the simplist keep a running folder of each employee throughout the year, and add to it each week even if it's to add a note saying doing ok because it makes you review the weeks preformance instead of just running out when the whistle blows.

Anyway these ideas have helped me hope maybe one or two might apply to you and help you through this, evaluating others really is not any kind of fun.I get to do 35 employees with 3 weeks to do it in and our form is 5 pages (altho I could reduce it to 2) One last piece of advice when you are doing them every half hour or so get and smoke a butt,or walk around,or do something for 10 mins to clear your head It's not right to just push through them.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook