Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Terror suspects held over deadly poison find

Six terror suspects are being questioned by detectives after traces of the deadly poison ricin were discovered.

The six men of north African origin were arrested after an operation by the anti-terrorist branch in north and east London.

The yard said 'equipment and materials' were found at an address in Wood Green where one of the man was also arrested.

A woman who was also arrested has been released.

Ricin was the poison used to murder Bulgarian exile Georgi Markov in a political assassination in London in 1978.

The news comes weeks after security sources warned of a possible terror attack involving London underground.

In a joint statement issued this afternoon, anti-terror chief David Veness and Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Pat Troop said: "In the early hours of Sunday, 5 January, 2003, six men and one woman, were arrested under the Terrorism Act 2000 at premises in north and east London by officers from the Metropolitan Police anti -terrorist branch.

"This successful joint operation between the anti-terrorist branch, MPS Special Branch and the Security Service follows receipt of intelligence.

"A quantity of material and items of equipment were found at a residential premises in Wood Green, north London, where one of the men was arrested.

"This material has been analysed at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratories at Porton Down. A small amount of the material recovered from the Wood Green premises has tested positive for the presence of ricin poison."

Wood Green - I go past there on the way to and from work. It's only a matter of time.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Great job by British intelligence. They should let them have a taste of their own gas.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Glad to here the police caught them before they could do any harm!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

More here

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...adlines.uknews
Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Scary stuff! Glad someone is on the ball over there!
Old 01-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Jesus, that's scary stuff. I LIVE in North London.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:50 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

The worrying thing is that they only found traces of Ricin. The actual poison had been removed. Police are looking for three more men.

Ricin would not be suitable for an attack on a mass of people. It is more likely that there is a specific target or targets. Security around major figures has been increased.

A Bulgarian was assasinated in Britain years ago. The ricin was delivered by a stab in the back of the leg with the tip of an umbrella.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-08-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
Jesus, that's scary stuff. I LIVE in North London.
I've just realised I walked past that bloody flat on Sunday. It must have been before the police arrived.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:32 AM   #9
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Great! Ya know, I just so happen to have six lengths of rope...
I wonder if the Brits could use them?
Old 01-08-2003, 11:21 AM   #10
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Well, to add myself to the list of people who live in North London... I live in Wood Green. Around the Turnpike Lane area, its complete Studentville - cheap rents for London. I just got back from the Wood Green snooker club in fact. This whole thing worries more than a little, although I avoid using the tube as much as possible as I can't really afford it.

Now I come to think of it, a few months back approx 5 people were killed and 20 injured in a shooting in the other direction to this from my house in a gang war incident. So I have Greek, turkish, and kurdish gangs to the South of me and terrorists to the North, both within five minutes walk...

House prices just went even further down I think!
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe