Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2002, 11:30 AM   #1
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

At frequent intervals my game just stops.The music becomes a drone or a single note repeated over and over again,I lose control of the mouse and keyboard and I cannot even close the game down.All I can do is restart my computer and this has already caused an error bad enough to require me to re-install windows!!!.
I am running the unpatched version of the game(as reccomended).I have installed DirectX 7.0 off the game disk and I have applied the tip of reducing graphic acceleration to none.
I am running in Windows 98 and I have:
An Abit KG7 motherboard
Nvidia(sparkle)GeForce3 Ti200 Graphics card
Athlon 1.8 GHz CPU
Soundblaster Platinum soundcard
100Gb(7200RPM) hard disk
Toshiba CD/DVD
DDR 512MB RAM.
Please can someone solve this problem for me as it is becoming very frustrating!!!
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

P.S. I have now disabled screensaver,cleabed cd drive and re-installed game.All to no discernable effect.Game still "freezing".
GRRRRR!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi Zero!

Well, I certainly wish that I had some more techie expertise so that I might lend a hand and it seems like our board techies have been a tad busy of late as well Hope you can be patient until someone who really has an idea of what they are talking about comes along and gives a suggestion.

I had read your post shortly after you had posted but left it unanswered hoping that our techies would note that it still needed a reply. Perhaps bumping this back to the top will help.

Have you read through Saz' help desk thread and seen anything in there that might seem like a solution?
Have you tried running the game in software mode??

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:00 PM   #4
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Wyv,the answer is yes to both questions!I would be grateful if you would keep bumping this post back to the top until someone who knows the answer posts.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:07 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I emailed copies on to Saz and Xignal. I know both have been very busy, but hopefully one will come to the rescue!!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:41 PM   #6
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That's very kind of you,Wyv,perhaps one of our resident geniuses(genii?) will be able to help.In the meantime I will persevere because I love the game.If nothing else it is reinforcing the old adage of "save frequently"!!!
I am a half-decent gamer(on a good day,downhill,with a following wind)but I'm afraid I know little about the workings of computers!
Thanks for your help so far and I'm sure that between us we will find someone who knows the answers.
Old 02-23-2002, 08:50 PM   #7
Xignal
Drizzt Do'Urden

Some thoughts. Since the freeze-ups don't seem to be activity-related (random?) they may be memory-related. I'd suggest reviewing your sound and graphics cards drivers to ensure they're the latest versions, and also disable or quit all background applications prior to playing.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:39 AM   #8
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm pretty sure the sound and graphics card drivers are the latest ones since the computer was built by a friend of mine in the last month.I will check out disabling programs running in the background and see if that helps.
The freeze-ups do appear to be random,sometimes when you are just walking along,more frequently when interacting with game interface
and never in towns.
Thanks for your reply,I'll keep you posted and would be grateful for any further ideas you or Saz might have.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Still no better!I'm not sure about closing background programs,I've disabled screensaver and energy saver but some of programs I brought up when I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL seem important e.g. I think one of them is my internet browser.Is it safe to stop these programs running and if so what's the safest way to do it?
Old 02-24-2002, 08:13 PM   #10
Knip Dyolf
The Magister

Zero
use CTRL+ALT+DEL.
Close all programs in the window except systray and explorer. These are all you need to keep windows running.
Then try to load Wizards and Warriors.
Using CTRL+ALT+DEL is a safe way to close programs. You wont stuff up your pc
Good luck

Knip
\"Listen, strange women lyin\' in ponds distributin\' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. \"<br />Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Knip Dyolf is offline   Reply With Quote