Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As suggested in response to my post about game freezing,I have downloaded latest nvidia driver v23.11.Double clicked on icon on desktop.Got intallshield wizard which went by so fast I couldn't see what was happening.Then prompted to restart computer which I accepted.
Two results!!!
1. My display has been changed so that it is too small for the screen and everything on display is too big.Resolution still at 1024x768 pixels,just as it was before.
2. Start-run-dxdiag still shows driver version 4.13.01 2183,just as it did before I ran (or not as it seems!!!) new driver.
PLEEEEEASE HELPPPPP!!!!!
Sorry for shouting but I am getting very close to putting this game in the bin and hoping I can find someone to sort my computer out as I can't afford to sling that in the bin!!!
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Detah
Dungeon Master

The fact that your version did not update may just be a residue issue. An additional install of the video drivers or a simple reboot may solve this problem. The pixel size problem is much more disconcerting.

Lets see if we can fix it. Dont panic.

Control Panel/Display/Settings tab
1) set screen area to 800x600
from there,
click Advanced/Monitor tab
2) make sure refresh rate is set to 60 Hertz
click Troubleshooting
3) make sure Hardware acceleration is set to max (Full)

Reboot

If the problem persists, continue below.

Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Adapter
click Properties
click Troubleshooter
Follow the instructions. Ive found this to be not so helpful. But your problem may be in there.

Report back here with your results.

Detah
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Detah
Dungeon Master

If none of that helps, do the following.

1) locate, download and reinstall the old version of your geforce3 drivers. Lets see if we can at least get you back to where you started. I feel badly that my suggestion got you in this situation. I will do my best to help you get out of it.

2) Search microsoft window's website for service packets regarding video card issues (noting specifically your version of win98; I dont recall if you said you have win98SE or not, but be certain to pay attention to that when searching for packets). If you find any relevant ones, install them.

If that doesnt work, come back here and I will ask my IT person at work. She is a hardware god. We will get your computer fixed.

Detah

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Detah ]

Old 02-27-2002, 03:20 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Wowzah Detah!!!

You are just becoming invaluable help around here!!!

Thanks!!!

Wyv
Old 02-27-2002, 03:26 PM   #5
Detah
Dungeon Master

If I am able to help anyone, they owe you the thanks, Wyv.
I came here a couple months ago and asked some pretty silly questions (in retrospect) and you politely helped me. That hooked me. Now I find myself just hanging around here cuz its fun.

Detah
Old 02-27-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Appreciate your help,Detah.
Weird stuff going on!
1. set screen area to 800x600--OK.
2. click adv/montor tab no option for refresh rate,there is on the adapter tab so I set this to 60Hz,got a message saying this could damage my monitor so I backed off.
3.Can't find Troubleshooting.
4. hardware acceleration set to full--OK.

Ctrl panel-disp-settings-adv-adapter,no properties button.Can't find troubleshooter here either.

Put screen back to right size using buttons on monitor and 1024x768 pixels,looks ok.

Decided to try running game before I posted again.Game screen now full size as opposed to having one inch of black screen at top,bottom and right!!Twice game locked on loading screen.Third time it ran but when I walk I appear to be doing little jumps all the time.

Diagx still shows driver version 2183,not 23.11 after several re-boots.There ia an icon on my desk top called Win9x-me_23.11 exe.

Please would you help me again here? I'm sure I must seem very dim but I'm afraid I'm an old dog failing to learn new tricks.
Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:53 AM   #7
Detah
Dungeon Master

That exe icon on your desktop IS the driver. That is why it was never installed over the old one.

As a rule of thumb never put actual files on your desktop. Only put shortcuts on the desktop. This will save you many headaches in the long run.

Right click/cut the desktop .exe file. Open Windows Explorer and paste it into any empty temporary folder.

Control panel/System/Device Manager
Double click Display Adapters, right click your geforce3 video card, then select properties.

Click the driver tab

Click update driver. Follow the instuctions. When it asks for the driver, enter the path where you placed the .exe file.

REBOOT

Check dxdiag and confirm that your driver was updated.

Come back here.

Detah
Old 02-28-2002, 10:12 AM   #8
Detah
Dungeon Master

FYI Some stuff I found on the net.

Refresh Rate- The number of times per second a displayed image is regenerated. Measured in Hertz, e.g., 60Hz or 60 times per second. The faster the rate, the steadier the image.

Slower video refresh rates can cause flicker at high resolutions. The video adapter and monitor may support a higher refresh rate for the resolution you are using.

It is entirely possible that when you installed your video card (or video card driver) that it forced your refresh rate to be set at a certain level, like 100 Hertz. Higher refresh rates are recommended for when you experience flickering or jotty gameplay during some games.

I suggest you read the readme.txt files for your videocard and your monitor and check what each one recommends for the refresh rate.

I found this on the microsoft website
“Configuring your hardware to use a refresh rate that your hardware does not support could damage your monitor, and is not recommended.” [hardware here means your video card and your monitor.]

I have never heard of a lower setting damaging a computer. I’m not sure why windows is giving you that message. Maybe its a built in protection so people dont go changing the refresh rate willy nilly. It is possible that setting your refresh rate to 110 when the recommended is 60 could harm your monitor, but not vice versa. To be safe, check your readme files and see what is recommended.

PS once you have confirmed that your videocard driver has been updated, you no longer need the .exe file. I recommend creating a drivers folder and placing it in there in case you need to reinstall it later. It is also a good idea to keep a little txt file in there with the file name of the driver and what device it belongs to.

Detah
Old 02-28-2002, 11:33 AM   #9
Zero
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Followed instructions.
Went OK until it asked for driver. Entered c:\new folder.Computer asked for disk of compatible drivers then locked up,had to re-boot.
Tried renaming folder Win9x-me_23.11.exe then entering this when it asked for driver,same reult as above.
Reached a point where process offers you a choice of:
1.search for better driver than the one your device is using now (recommended).
2. Display a list of all drives in a specific location so you can select the driver you want.
Tried both with same results as above.
Sorry about this but I'm followig instructions to the letter and having my son double-check for me.
Please help again.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
Detah
Dungeon Master

Ok. Thats ok.

Let's do this the simpliest way.

Never name a folder the same as a file (including extension). Folder names should never include a period. This confuses the OS.

Nvidia was just not thinking at all, the day they named that selfextracting file, with two periods in it. This will result in an error 99% of the time. That is not your fault. But you need to be aware that it can cause problems. So lets do this methodically.

1) go to the folder where the exe file is located. rename the folder something simple like 'drivers'.
2) double click the exe and pay close attention. You may not be able to observe what happens next..it may be very quick. This is a self extracting zip file. Which means that the contents will place themselves into the proper directory when you double click on them. Installing drivers (or updating drivers in this case) just means that you are placing files in a specific directory. Once these files are placed in their correct locations, you do not need to do anything else.
3) if you receive some kind of error while trying to double click this file, then it is most likely a result of the 2 periods in the file name. When windows (or any other program) tries to read that file, it reads left to right just like you and I do. It sees xxxx.11 and thinks that .11 is the extention. Of course it causes an error, because .11 has no meaning. Fortunately this is very easy to fix.
4) right click on the exe file and choose rename.
5) remove the period and hit return.
6) now doubleclick on the exe and let it extract itself.
Hopefully this will complete the update for your driver.

Detah