Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
D*Ranged

Fighter: One of the watchers teach you how to fight with a weapon of your choice. Fair enough, those guards are there to protect Candlekeep and as guard they had some martial training so they can guard the keep.

Ranger: You spend time in stables (Since you can't venture outside), spend time on the spires of Candlekeep, and watch birds and other animals alike. Hmm...dunno if this would have worked well... but then, maybe Obe the Illusionist helped by creating illusions of the wild to help you out. Also, you would have studied racial enemies by reading books about it, and probably learnt to survive in wild ONLY in theory too.

Paladin: You were inspired by heroes and want to be one yourself. You may have had no particular order to follow, but that didn't hinder training too much, since Gorion would have done his best to instill the strict sense of code and justice in you, and chances are, some paladins would have visited on occasions. They may have helped you further by guiding you in the ways of true knight, disciplin you, and at the same time trained you as a fairly competent warrior as well. Hard, but workable.

Cleric: You would have become a priest by spending time around the shrine of Oghma (In NE corner of Candlekeep), and have read Books/Scrolls about deities and their history. Chances are, while you were sick of seeing deities sqabble among one another, Gorion's friends have continued training you as a spiritual man/woman, and eventually you have decided to follow a certain deity, and he/she has given you powers as you grew more powerful.

Druid: Hard, but the best guess is that you love nature, and you may have studied druidic ways by book, and Obe may have helped you out with it a bit, but otherwise...just doesn't seem to fit in.

Mage: Books, books and more books. You studied arcane arts and tongues, and Gorion himself made you an apprentice, and taught you. Easy to imagine, since Candlekeep is one GIANT library and have powerful spellcasters in top order.

Thief: Winthrop. Imoen was trained by him. You and Immy trained together, often tried to sneak, delve into unknown parts and tried your luck in lockpicking and pickpocketing (without getting caught of course ), or trained to spot/disarm traps safely. Although how he managed that, I won't know, given that Immy calls him "Puffguts".

Bard: Gorion's storytelling made you wonder how to make it sound more grand and exciting. You also learnt to sing poems, use musical equipments, maybe a bit in pick pocketing, fighting and a few spells as you go. A cook taught you how to sing bawdy poems? Gorion urged you to find a new one before ruining your voice and there is a chance that he found a new voice instructor who made you proficient in basics at least...again, doable. Hey, who knows, Ulraunt may have invited a jester to lighten the place up for a while...

Multi/Dual class:
As you grew, you played every role in imaginary battles, and in youth you started to show talent in more than one areas, training in both professions you chose to be. (Multi)
As for Dual, those are humans who were good in more than one area, but chose what you were better at, until you either got sick of being that class or just circumstances drove you to change profession.

That's all for BG1 classes...it took an hour to imagine this, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were rather half-baked... oh, and BG2 only classes (No Subclasses) are coming sooner or later...

Any corrections/suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
TheVulcanAndroid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Pretty cool and imaginatitive explanations. I hate to rain on your parade, so don't take it as an artistic offense or anything, but each PC(and NPC) has a biography. The first half seems to explain somewhat why you are what you are, and the second part talks about what you actually know of yourself. Someone might need to nit me here, as I just checked a thief character and it mentioned picking the pockets of monks, so I would guess that isn't the same as the fighter bio. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Keep your nifty mini-back stories coming though, by all means.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:47 AM   #3
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by TheVulcanAndroid:
Pretty cool and imaginatitive explanations. I hate to rain on your parade, so don't take it as an artistic offense or anything, but each PC(and NPC) has a biography. The first half seems to explain somewhat why you are what you are, and the second part talks about what you actually know of yourself. Someone might need to nit me here, as I just checked a thief character and it mentioned picking the pockets of monks, so I would guess that isn't the same as the fighter bio. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Keep your nifty mini-back stories coming though, by all means.
lol, I know. I'm a long - time BG saga follower, myself. What I tried getting at, however, was that I was trying to dissect how convincing the Biography was.
Druid and Rangers have to be over - the - top to work properly...and Ranger is my all time fav. character, too.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:25 AM   #4
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Rangers rule!

Other than that, very nice work.

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 08-11-2003, 01:38 AM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Figuring out how the PC became his/her class isn't anywhere near as difficult as trying to justify how the PC became of Evil alignment.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Six, it's not too hard. Kid's just a bad apple. Maybe Bhaal's taint has more hold over him than most. Maybe he just doesn't respect authority. Or maybe, he's always been concerned with his own welfare over and above others. Or maybe he just likes creating havoc. Now, who does that. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

The BG novelizations may be a pile of steaming Kobold turds, but I like how they (sort-of) explained class and alignment. In the books, the hero (the PC) has been out adventuring for I'm guessing two or three years, and gets called back to Candlekeep by Gorion with urgent news. PC never gets the news because, well, the plot of BG kinda gets in the way. [img]tongue.gif[/img]