Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 AM   #201
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I'm mildly miffed. But then I live a long way from London so it's all feeling pretty remote to me.I would be angry if one of my Muslim friends was beaten up in the street, so I hope that attacks like this are kept to a minimum.

One of them did go to "study religion" in Pakistan - I would suggest that anytime a visa application is made for religious purposes to a country like Pakistan, the security services immediately keep tabs on them during their return.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:45 AM   #202
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
On the contrary - it is the Muslim population inside Britain that offers us the best chance of defeating the terrorists.

You really don't understand us at all TL. That's okay though - no reason why you need to.

BTW - glad to see you retain the double T!
Interesting point, if you are suggesting that it is the Muslim population in the UK that has to stand up and be a big part in calming the militants then you could be right. By default the wishes and arguments of the traditional UK population and its government will not be listened too and would be just viewed with contempt. It is time for a 'million Muslim march' in the UK to show support for the UK way of life and to show the rest of the population that Muslims are united against such acts.

[ 07-14-2005, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:42 AM   #203
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

TL is right to a degree in that undeniably the thret of Muslim fundamentalist comes from the Muslim population. But to tar them all with the same brush is narrow-minded, they should not be associated in our minds with terror. Yes they do have a role to play in attempting to moderate extremists where possible. But mindless persection would not only increase the threat from within but from without also, as more moderate Muslim are persuaded that the West really is trying to destroy their way of life. It would only increase extremism and support for it amongst the global muslim population.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #204
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:
On the contrary - it is the Muslim population inside Britain that offers us the best chance of defeating the terrorists.

You really don't understand us at all TL. That's okay though - no reason why you need to.

Interesting point, if you are suggesting that it is the Muslim population in the UK that has to stand up and be a big part in calming the militants then you could be right. By default the wishes and arguments of the traditional UK population and its government will not be listened too and would be just viewed with contempt. It is time for a 'million Muslim march' in the UK to show support for the UK way of life and to show the rest of the population that Muslims are united against such acts. [/QUOTE]I agree 100%, I recall reading about a similar event that one group or other tried to organize here in the states and less than 50 people showed up, encouraging that those who showed up care enough to stand up and make a difference, but extremely discouraging that it was so few. I'll see if I can track down the article in a bit.

It's also telling that muslims by and large condemn terrorism, but try to get them to explain what they think terrorism is and you'll usually get a line of bull that will make your head spin. But it usually doesn't involve suicide bombers in Israel, anyone fighting the US and it's allies by any means (especially in the middle east) and is typically reserved for those who hurt islamic interests. If they wish to be trusted they need to put forth a sincere effort to ferret out the more fundamentalist teachers and students of islam and actually assist law enforcement instead of crying out that they shouldn't be retalliated against for the acts of a few. If visible efforts were made to reassure the public that they were policing their own (and they are better able to do so than outsiders) the fear of backlash would be greatly reduced.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #205
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:

I don't know how you presume to speak for all your fellows, nor make the giant leap to saying I don't understand you at all. As for my screwup with the double T, sorry -- call it homage to the Romans.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #206
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Maybe the Muslims inside our countries *are* the key to defeating terrorism. But, it is undeniable that in the UK, this attack came from Muslims within. It's similar in some small ways to Columbine -- disgruntled disenfranchised youths wrecking havoc. And, all it takes for this to happen again is... well, very little as we can see.

If the Muslims inside our countries are a weapon to defeat terrorism, we need heed the fact that the sword is double-edged.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM   #207
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:

I don't know how you presume to speak for all your fellows, nor make the giant leap to saying I don't understand you at all. As for my screwup with the double T, sorry -- call it homage to the Romans. [/QUOTE]Not a giant leap at all. I've known it for sometime!

If you have to ask if we ever get angry you obviously don't know us at all. Of course you may be saying it "tongue in cheek". We are angry, but anger must be chanelled and focused, or it will destroy us.

You are in agreement with the aims terrorists if you want the Muslim community at war with the rest of us. Nothing would please them more than to see Mosques set alight, what more proof would they want that we are at war with Islam.

As I told you once before - you are an enigma to me Timber Loftis! I freely admit that I don't know you (apart from your real name, the name of the company where you work and the name of your school of course!!) Don't worry though - I can keep a secret!

Try to catch pictures of the 2 minute silence in London, the rest of the UK and in Europe today. it was extremely moving. A clear signal to the terrorists.

BTW - the fifth bomber is thought to be from Jamaica! Now what should we do?
BTW2 - London awaits the next round of bombings that will surely come.
BTW3 - show some solidarity Timber - come visit for a while!

[ 07-14-2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #208
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
If you have to ask if we ever get angry you obviously don't know us at all. Of course you may be saying it "tongue in cheek".
Yes, it was tongue-in-cheek, a joke regarding the Brit reputation for being reserved and stodgy and unemotional. I take it you guys will laugh at this reputation as well, since it seems your comedy pokes at it from time to time -- else where would I have learned it?

As for visiting, I will again if ever I can. I spent 2 months working in London during law school (and lived at Kings Cross and worked on Russell Square, traveling that particular section of tube 100 times or more), and the only weekly mag I read every week is the Economist, so as for not understanding you guys at all, I'd say I'm leaps and bounds ahead of my fellows -- though it takes years and years to really understand any place fully.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #209
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
It is time for a 'million Muslim march' in the UK to show support for the UK way of life
You've got more chance of seeing a rocking horse shit.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:34 PM   #210
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
quote:
It is time for a 'million Muslim march' in the UK to show support for the UK way of life
You've got more chance of seeing a rocking horse shit. [/QUOTE]LOL Charlie, I suppose so, but something more is needed than the same old talking head appearing on TV saying that violence is not what true Muslims are about. Maybe it is just a case of the mainstream press not reporting the facts (and I remain open to education if a link could be provided) but I feel as though the UK Muslim population could, and should, do more to prevent the evil wedge of division being driven further into the community

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote