Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

You know on some websites, especially art websites, how it doesn't enable you to the save the picture? How do you do this?

Is it some sort of HTML code? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Dunno.

But I can tell you that it takes a competent internet user approximately 20 seconds to pull the picture from the cache (and thats assuming you use deceptive filenames) so why bother?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:38 AM   #3
Grojlach
Zartan

Well, they've probably disabled the right-mouse-click with a reason; but either way, you could always check your Temporary Internet Folder for those images; they should be in there somewhere.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:42 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

If it's a disabled right click, that's JavaScript... same thing can prevent you from looking at the source code, until you discover the "View" menu.
It's also not a good way to protect images - Water Marks can't be bypassed.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:43 AM   #5
Flaming Fist Enforcer
Drow Warrior

You can't do that, but if you have Win XP you can move your mouse pointer over a picture and wait for menu bar to show. Then click on save picture as icon.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:53 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Fist Enforcer:
You can't do that, but if you have Win XP you can move your mouse pointer over a picture and wait for menu bar to show. Then click on save picture as icon.
That´s not a winxp feature, it´s a IE 6 feature. Works for win2k as well as for win98 if you have IE6.

As Lennon and Andrewas said, this is not a very good way to protect you images. If you still want to try it here the script my hubby made for me.
code:
<script language="javascript" 
type="text/javascript">
<!--
var message="All images on this site are copyrighted.";
function click(e)
{
if (document.all)
{
if (event.button == 2)
{
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
if (document.layers)
{
if (e.which == 3)
{
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}
if (document.layers)
{
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
}
document.onmousedown=click;
// -->
</script>
[/QUOTE]Goes between the headtags. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-04-2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 05-04-2003, 06:56 AM   #7
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Fist Enforcer:
That´s not a winxp feature, it´s a IE 6 feature. Works for win2k as well as for win98 if you have IE6.

As Lennon and Andrewas said, this is not a very good way to protect you images. If you still want to try it here the script my hubby made for me.
code:
<script language="javascript" 
type="text/javascript">
<!--
var message="All images on this site are copyrighted.";
function click(e)
{
if (document.all)
{
if (event.button == 2)
{
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
if (document.layers)
{
if (e.which == 3)
{
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}
if (document.layers)
{
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
}
document.onmousedown=click;
// -->
</script>
[/QUOTE]Goes between the headtags. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Thanks Willow and Willow's husband

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2003, 07:04 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
Thanks Willow and Willow's husband

[img]smile.gif[/img]
NO problem. Beware that most people find this very annoying. I also have a script that allows no clicking whatsoever on you site. Used that on my university forum once as an April fools joke.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:18 AM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hehe well until Willow came along I was about to tell you that it's JavaScript etc.
IIRC in ASP you can also prevent files being cached - now THAT is how you stop people stealing your images Of course you need to be on a host that runs Internet Information Services Server.

More specifically you have to set the "Cache-Control" HTTP header to "no-cache". Then people's browsers will simply not cache your images. Use this in conjunction with right-click disabling or whatever and people will really be annoyed

As I said this requires that your site is made with a server-side scriping technology like ASP, JSP or PHP.

[ 05-04-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 05-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
andrewas
Harper

But be aware that this depends on the browser following the HTTP standards regarding the no-cache rules. It wouldnt be a massive programming task to make a 'browser' that simply pulls a given page and saves all images to disc.

And if its smaller than the screen, theres nothing to stop someone using the print screen function to capture it. (Although that saves a .bmp, re-encoding it to a .jpg would lose significant quality).

In the end, if you put something on the net and someone wants to steal it, its stolen.

One tactic that might work is putting a smaller/marked version on public display, and making the full thing members-only. At least that way the onyl thing thats easily stolen is a limited version. Of course, charging for membership might not be acceptable and if membership is free theres little benefit.