Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I haven't had any pnp experience with the 3rd ed rules, so I am curious about something. In NWN, the skills of Discipline and Parry (and I think one other...) are added to the game because they are "a necessary part of the Aurora Engine technology".
I am just wondering why? Can you not Parry in pnp? Have yo no way to resist the combat feats listed (Disarm, Called Shot, etc.)? What would be the result of not having added them?
Just curious
Old 06-20-2002, 12:54 PM   #2
MagiK

I hope they aren't necesary, I didn't choose either of them for my Ranger...but since he is mostly an Archer...I guess if he is parrying, he let them get too close
Old 06-20-2002, 03:14 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
I haven't had any pnp experience with the 3rd ed rules, so I am curious about something. In NWN, the skills of Discipline and Parry (and I think one other...) are added to the game because they are "a necessary part of the Aurora Engine technology".
I am just wondering why? Can you not Parry in pnp? Have yo no way to resist the combat feats listed (Disarm, Called Shot, etc.)? What would be the result of not having added them?
Just curious
NWN is my first tastes of 3 ed d&d ,although I play 2nd edition w/players options rules p&p D&D for over 10 years now. Parrying is one of the many choices one has in a melee situation. Discipline is new to me in NWN, but you can resist disarming attempts, ect. In 2nd edition d&d one way is by making what is called an opposing dice roll. A good AC and a helmet is a great way to beat a called shot.

As far as using them in NWN, I, myself, would never use parry for a melee character because it uses up my opportunity to attack. That said as a spell caster I would put points into concentration instead for the same reason plus it is automatic.

Parry seems useless to me, but if your out of spells and your summons cant hold back a horde, it may be a nice final option before running away.

Discipline seems way more useful, and its an automatic skill, I like the auto skills!
Old 06-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Yeah, I'm familiar with 2nd ed, but I just thought it strange, the remark about how they were made specifically for NWN. Just made me wonder how it's handled in pnp.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:23 PM   #5
Lanthir
Drizzt Do'Urden

Discipline need it I have been disarmed twice already but have survived several more attmepts. I have parry and only came close to using it once so far. Might be good in MP play for a tank to use it while others do the damge.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:41 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

I would see parry being more useful in a group play situation. You are gettting pounded and need to buy time for the group cleric to lay a heal on you. It would seem to have limited usefulness in solo play.