Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2003, 03:33 AM   #1
elianne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i have unfortunately got a scratched disc five so cant play the game as it wont copy nor read area 1100 (south west of baldurs gate), which is a rather important area.
its so annoying that its only one area missing thats stopping me. not sure if all other areas are ok, maybe someone has a list of all the area files?
but i really dont want to buy a whole new set of discs for one scratch, that i didn't make (2nd hand discs).
the file will be in disc 5, data folder. there might be some sub areas to it possibly like area 1100a or something, but i'm not sure.

can anyone send me a copy of area1100.bif ?
my email is missyvortex@dg-s.fsnet.co.uk.

please, i really need help on this.
otherwise i can't play and i've just started chapter 5, so am reasonably addicted to the game i'd say
elianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:04 AM   #2
Jan

Welcome to the forum [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Hmm how and where do you copy area1100.bif?

Can't you get it from gatekeeper or shadowkeeper?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:09 AM   #3
elianne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

gatekeeper? shadow keeper?
are they websites?
problem is that i can't copy my file of my baldurs gate cd 5.
though there are millions of people out there with working cd's
all i really need is for someone to copy the file
it would be quite easy to from
e.g. D:\baldursgatecd5\cd5\data\area1100.bif

whatever gatekeeper/shadowkeeper are, do you think they'd have the file?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

The file is 36,4 MB.

I could send it, but I doubt you have large enough mailbox. ??

And if the scratch is larger, there is a good chance that itīs not the only area that doesnīt work. I would try to contact some kind person from your own country to copy the whole CD and send it via snail mail. Of course, if nothing else works, I can do that too.. always a pleasure to help.

Someone here must know if itīs really enough to replace the file only, can the game read it if you havenīt done full install etc. Oh and there is no sub file for it.

GateKeeper is an un official editor for BG1 with which you can mess with the char stats and so.. it doesn't contain any areas, but as I havenīt used that myself, I donīt know can you just jump over some area with it.

[ 01-16-2003, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 01-16-2003, 05:40 AM   #5
elianne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well, my mailbox doesn't have a limit. so you could send the file, but at that size it would probably take an hour for you to send it and an hour for me to recieve it. i wouldn't mind but it would be a bit time consuming. you could of course winzip the file. not sure how much it would be compressed by but could take off atleast a MB if not a lot more.
i think what i really need is a list of all the files i should have, soi can check if anymore are missing. and it really only is if they are missing, if they copied to my harddrive in the installation then they are there and working, but it just cant copy the file from the cd.
a good solution would be if someone could copy the file directy with the cd 5 data and put it on kazaa, but that wouldn't be good for copyright reasons, though noone can run the game from one cd anyway.

unfortunately i know noone with this game in the UK. is strange. its a good game, why doesn't anyone have it?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:44 AM   #6
elianne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

oh, yeah. the game did definitely do a full install. it just skipped that one file. didn't see any other files have problems being copied. though my uninstall didn't work, not setup as well. maybe from that error or another on the cd.
but al other areas of baldurs gate have no problems
its jus that one that crashes my pc when it tries to load of cd or get a nonexistent file from my harddrive.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:55 AM   #7
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Sending it via mail is indeed an unpractical way... Zipping it reduced the size to 24Mb, but itīs still quite a lot. More so because I only now realized that my schoolīs mail system has a limit.

My ISP cut down my peer to peer capabilities after my neighbourhoodīs last year xxx-download party, so Kazaa only works when it wants to, and when it works, nothing transfers rapidly to any direction.

BG sold very well thanks to itīs 5 cdīs, so itīs not really burners dream. Maybe thatīs why itīs not that popular in Kazaa or similar.. You should be able to get it from someone.. there must be UK forums or buy/sell sort of things. And other people in this forum can help as well, but I promised too much.. again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

PS. I try sending that file now, but donīt hold your breath. Iīll report back here how it's progressing...

[ 01-16-2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 01-16-2003, 06:04 AM   #8
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

As much as I expected, it didnīt work. Hopefully someone else is able to help you out.

Cheers,
NW
Old 01-16-2003, 08:06 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

upload it to an ftp site, should find a free one can handle a temp transfer of up to 50mb easily enough, once upload just redownload at your leisure
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:36 AM   #10
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
upload it to an ftp site, should find a free one can handle a temp transfer of up to 50mb easily enough, once upload just redownload at your leisure
Good thinking, but Im bored and it would take too long. Since we are at it, mayhaps you can do it?

Ok.. Im out.