Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2003, 02:59 AM   #31
the mighty stamar

I think you're right. I have all the old X men comics that the movie plots are taken from but its been a while. The mystique character and magneto were never friends for that matter. Magneto was a good guy (depending on the author) who wanted to fix the world no matter what the cost was, a great complicated comic book character. In later issues he leads the X men in place of Prof X....always a conflict of ideals story, not as portrayed in the movie as someone ruthless enough to try to kill all humans. Mystique was a criminal in classic supervillain mold more.

The stories are greatly changed for the movie but they would have to be.

What suprised me about this second movie was how much was just direct by the word quotes from 80s comic books. Including the 15 second hank mccoy scene, I saw on the website the comic it is taken from. The movie audience likely has no idea what its about. In fact last I saw, not too many of these characters are in the current X men comic books, so its only real nerds like me who understand some of this movie.

THE MOVIE IS GREAT. Better than the first one which was good. The ending was not particularly great, it sort of suffer from empire strikes back syndrome of ending and then spending twenty minutes starting the next movie.

Nine of ten. The last movie I was this impressed by was the Star Wars movie, which means this one was better than two towers. And it is, its much more exiting.

Definitely Nightcrawlers powers steal the show. Reading the comic books I really had no idea how someone would try to relate his super powers in movie form. Pretty amazing looking actually.

PS I just saw it and I dont remember a gambit scene at all....anyone remember him in it?

[ 05-04-2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
Old 05-04-2003, 06:26 AM   #32
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

wait it ain't related to the movie at all... but is Shadowcat the strongest mutant? my friend told she is... hmm
Old 05-04-2003, 06:30 AM   #33
the mighty stamar

No but she is in the movie briefly the same amount of time, and the same scene as collosus.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:37 AM   #34
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Heh I guess I am also a bit of an X-Men nerd - but that's from watching all the cartoons when I was younger - not from reading the comics.

How did you figure shadowcat is the strongest? She is a weak little girl - she is the one who can phase through walls and yeah she doesn't get a very big part.

I reckon in the 3rd film they will HAVE to introduce Gambit or the girls in the audience will go crazy When I saw it I heard some girls near me talking about how disappointed they were that he wasn't in it.

I bet that they will also show how Hank McCoy turns into Beast in the next one.

Damn I am such an X-Men nerd

Stamar - don't you wish they'd put Psyloche in the next movie?

Also you are right, I'd say Magneto was kinda good but he is not afraid of human sacrifice. At the end of the cartoons he takes over leadership of the X-Men too - he is father of that really fast guy - Pietro or something and also another girl mutant whose name I can't remember.

They should also put in that George mutant who helps Mr Sinister - you know the really stretchy one - he's cool

Better shut up now
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-04-2003, 07:45 AM   #35
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I love Gambit! He was one of my fav characters. I have only ever seen the cartoon series though, never the comics. They were good...very addictive though, and the cliffhanger endings were annoying for every episode. I got very far into the series...when Phoenix succesfully possessed Jean...it only happened at the end, though...she struck Cyclops, I think...and he says, "Jean?!" or something like that, and she says Jean Grey is no more. She sides with the bad guys in that case...only faint memories. I think Wolverines claws in the film are far better than the cartoon series as well...nice big blades.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:44 AM   #36
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Just saw it about an hour ago and loved it. I have never been into the X-Men before, and only watched the first movie 7 days ago because there was nothing better on TV. I thought the first movie went OK, so I forked out to go see this one. Nightcrawler was amazing, and I agree with Jorath that the snippet where hs saves Rogue was way impressive.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:19 AM   #37
the mighty stamar

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
wait it ain't related to the movie at all... but is Shadowcat the strongest mutant? my friend told she is... hmm
In X men mythology, the strongest Mutant is either Apocolypse or Magneto.

They fought several times with several outcomes. I havent read up on it in about 15 years but Im sure they have fought since. Apocolypse story uses some sort of highlander story where he has to be the strongest and he is always trying to kill magneto.

BTW one more X men thing. The next movie is called the mutant war.

Well, they already killed the Stryker character. BUT, the key component that hasnt shown up and is a huge part of their story is the sentinels.

The Mutant war is very likely a war between sentinels and the X men, and the brotherhood of evil mutants teamed together. Just a good theory.
I think Sabretooth was in the first one. But A common villain I havent seen yet is juggernaut. Probably shows up as one of magnetos people in the X3. And apocolypse...Well its a long way off but just my theories.

[ 05-04-2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
Old 05-04-2003, 10:52 AM   #38
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Light Bulb

Quote:
BTW one more X men thing. The next movie is called the mutant war.
you mean there is already a xmen movie production ongoing now?? cool!

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-04-2003, 10:54 AM   #39
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Yeah- there is SO much potential in this X-Men world that I wouldn't be surprised (or upset ) if they made a series of movies longer than Police Academy or Star Wars.

Introducing Apocalypse would be in the last or 2nd to last movie because he is the most powerful of all. In the cartoons it tells you that he stays alive for ever because he rejuvenates himself in the axis of time ...right. Anyway, Apocalypse is
much more powerful than Magneto the way I understand it. He is not only a shapeshifter but is immune to most energy blast-type powers and can change his size to HUGE, hehe. He also has a bad attitude "I am as far above mutants as they are above mere humans! Your puny powers are useless against me!" etc. lol
Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 AM   #40
MagiK

Yo, dudes, you must all be really young or not nearly geeky enough [img]smile.gif[/img] As an X-fan from the 70's.....I just have to make some corrections....

1. The Original Xmen consisted of Bobby Drake-Iceman, Jean Grey-Marvel Girl
Scott Summers- Cyclops, uhhh some guy-Angel and Hank McCoy-The Beast, these were the original team. There soon followed several others(part time members)...Alex Summers-Havok (scotts brother only he channeled cosmic rays where scott channeled solar power) Banshee was a sonic abled mutant from ireland, Polaris-was Havoks girl friend and had magentic powers similar to Magneto. Later (much later) came storm, colossus, shadow cat, wolverine, night crawler and rogue and later still cannonball and other new mutants such as Remmey Lebeau aka Gambit. [img]smile.gif[/img] I havent followed this stuff for 15 years so my info on the newer things is non-existant.

2. Magneto started out as a villian and remained a villian for 15-20 years of the comic book, Only reletively recently did he start having bouts of goodness. He led the original "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" Don't recall who all were actual members at the start...I think Scarlet witch, Quick Silver, Toad and Mastermind were the originals along with Magneto as the leader.

3. Colleen wonders how I can remember this stuff from the 1970's and 80's and yet can't remember that tuesdays and fridays are trash pickup days...

[ 05-04-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]