Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2002, 07:37 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Here's the problem:

After the recent threads about virii here, I got jittery and dld AVG free version virus checker. All was well for a couple of days, then I started getting General Protection Faults and Fatal Exception Errors (Running Win98). It just got worse and worse. Sometimes I boot up and it's all fine, other times Windoze won't even start up without giving me a GPF and rebooting itself. MSN Messenger is the worst offender causing a GPF 5 tries out of 6. MS Outlook Express does similar, AIM, Dungeon Siege, IE - everything I open causes a GPF. It was driving me up the wall and I spend about 40 minutes at the start of each session rebooting to try and get everything working.

The only change to my system was AVG. I couldn't find the uninstaller, so I uninstalled it using the 'Add/Remove Programs' function in Control Panel. Then things got worse. I rebooted several times to be faced with a Fatal Exception Error when Windoze launched. After several reboots, I finally got it to boot up successfully by booting to safe mode and disabling everything in my start up folder, but got lots of error messages during system check about AVG related files in the Registry which couldn't be found.

I now get more GPFs and Fatal Exceptions than I did before. I am seriously considering just backing up my DS saved games and a few documents and doing yet another HDD reformat and Windoze reinstall - but I can't find most of my driver CDs which is a real bummer.

Any ideas? Or the PC gets it.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:43 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Perhaps you should try cleaning your registry? My PC ran a lot smoother after I did that....
Old 05-20-2002, 07:45 AM   #3
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

*hands her a computer sized casket*
Sorry Epona, can't help ya, I've been running AVG for ages with no probs.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:46 AM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Just a thought - have you tried running the System File Checker? Or even reinstalling Windoze over the current installation?

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-20-2002, 07:47 AM   #5
Daniel_M
Elminster

Try backing up all your improtant stuff and re-installing windows
Old 05-20-2002, 07:47 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
*hands her a computer sized casket*
Sorry Epona, can't help ya, I've been running AVG for ages with no probs.
*Sobs quietly and throws a handful of dirt into grave*
Old 05-20-2002, 07:49 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Just a thought - have you tried running the System File Checker? Or even reinstalling Windoze over the current installation?
I'll try that tonight Mouse. I have to say that reinstalling Windoze over the current one has always caused more registry problems than it solved when I've done it in the past. I'm getting to be an old hand at the reformat/reinstall game now, I just wish I could find all my driver disks because that would be the easiest option - clean slate so to speak. Problem is I'm semi-packed ready to move and don't know where I put them.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:26 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
epona, you can do what mouse says, but i would get rid of 98, if i was you and if it's possible i would install xp, or at least me2000, but i wouldn't go back to 98
Old 05-20-2002, 08:28 AM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
epona, you can do what mouse says, but i would get rid of 98, if i was you and if it's possible i would install xp, or at least me2000, but i wouldn't go back to 98
98 is the most stable version of Windows. Not ME, ME = Bad. XP, possibly. But 98 is quite stable and compatible with almost all things, it runs very well for me.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:36 AM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
I'll try that tonight Mouse. I have to say that reinstalling Windoze over the current one has always caused more registry problems than it solved when I've done it in the past. I'm getting to be an old hand at the reformat/reinstall game now, I just wish I could find all my driver disks because that would be the easiest option - clean slate so to speak. Problem is I'm semi-packed ready to move and don't know where I put them.[/QUOTE]Epona, a clean install would probably be best, but this time, once you get the base operating system, your utility software (Office type products and utilities) and anything you consider "MUST HAVE" do an image of the system (if you have two drives or a CD burner) and store it somewhere. That way you can quickly return to this default load without looking up a bazillion driver disks. You might want to check the web site of the software that caused all the problems and check their tech support..they may be able to help too.

Windoze ME = MEga bad Win98 SE is very good, XP is ok if you have tons of horsepower and disk space to spare. Win2000 is not too bad either.

[ 05-20-2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]