Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 07:34 AM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I was gona start reading "The Wheel of Time" the other day and while in Waterstones I picked up the first book. I then noticed that there is also a book about the begining of time or something like that, a kind of background book, not actually concerned with the story itself, a bit like Tolkiens one.
I was just wondering if this was worth reading or compulsory to read before reading the books or what?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

there are two prequels, one is a short story detailing how two of the more important characters from the first few books met (not critical for enjoying the series) and IIRC the next prequel expands on the short story and continues the journeys of the two characters.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Be ready for a long read! I read the first 4 or 5 books (about 900 pages each) and just got tired of it.Just started reading "Ship of Magic" by Robin Hobb.Wow great story ,great charactors etc.I have to thank whoever it was here on Ironworks for recommending it..
Old 05-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Was probably Moiraine who mentioned Robin Hobbs John. I still have not read any of those books yet, as I cannot find them in my local bookstores, not all of them including the first one, so I guess I'll have to order them online.

As for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, I read 9 of the books (and yeah each one is humongus!), but they got boring and I just could not get myself to buy another. All were good but I'd say 8, and especially 9, were disappointing and boring as hell.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I have also recommended Robin Hobb's books before, and as the proud owner of them all I can say they are brilliant. Ok, well il think carefully before buying theses books, although I do love a long read. At the moment I am reading The redemption of Althalus by David & Leigh Eddings, not far yet only about 30 pages so I dont know if its good or not, but it seems quite interesting.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Your best bet is to save yourself the time and not read any of them! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

OK Djinn I'll just turn on the TV and melt my brain with some "reality" tv....
Old 05-12-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Don't forget C.S. Friedman, my favorite fantasy/sci fi author [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Coldfire Trilogy is a great read to start with this author (three books in the series). [img]smile.gif[/img] or the single novel In Conquest Born, which is an incredibly intense sci fi novel.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:52 PM   #9
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Don't forget C.S. Friedman, my favorite fantasy/sci fi author [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Coldfire Trilogy is a great read to start with this author (three books in the series). [img]smile.gif[/img] or the single novel In Conquest Born, which is an incredibly intense sci fi novel.
Great reads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you my long-lost sister?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

I started WOT series on the second book and I do not regret it! The prologue to "The Great Hunt" has one of my favorite scenes in any book series ever. This scene and many others help me overlook the serie's several shortcomings.