Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 07:13 AM   #41
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Rob, I agree with almost everything you say EXCEPT when you sully the fair name of Viconia. If you can rise to defend your favorite character, so can I. Viconia, from a role-playing point of view, is not 'really' evil, she was just raised that way. You can view her sorta like Drizzt, a drow who began to doubt Lioth's way. I grant you that if you take her at face value, her rants early on and so on, you can make her truly evil, but if you treat her really well, and speak soothingly to her, you find out that she's had a really rough time, because of the few times she has followed her 'good' impulses, i.e., refused to sacrifice the baby and opened up to the farmer in Beregost. As a Paladin, I feel it is my task to take her in and protect her and (in TOB) turn her to the good. Jahiera, from MY role playing point of view, is a stinker. She doesn't clue you in on the plotting against you going on at the Harper Hall, which in my opinion, if she is really your guardian and your companion of many quests, she should have early on. I know she is privy to that, because she hints at it, several times. I know she eventually sides with you, but I put that down to physical attraction. Maybe I am unfair, and she is conflicted. That would go with being neutral. But when the d****d Balance is between her ward and longstanding comrade and a bunch of snotty Harpers, I would expect her to be on my side all along. As for Anomen, grr., how can you like him, or even tolerate him? I can tell you haven't played as a female, as he hits on you all the time while continuing to act in an arrogant and condesceding way.(sorry, Melusine) From a role-playing point of view, I, as a Paladin, do not judge him fit to be a knight, so I won't help him. Witness his arguments with Keldorn. Plus, if you don't do to suit him,i.e. sleep with him, he runs out on your party. Viconia, on the other hand, has none of these problems. As she says to the jerk elf general, "I am loyal". She does attempt to leave the party, but only because she thinks she is drawing danger onto you. Her (frequent) insults are only an attempt to push you away, because she fears trust and intimacy. You can overcome this. Anyway, that's my opinion.I adore Vickey, and will defend her, even unto the death. While you buy Minsc drinks at the bar, Vickey and I will stay at the table, sipping our Razorblood wine and talking about how silly men are. So there. BTW, she does have a serious fight with Keldorn. You can't have both of them in your party, for long. I (prejudicedly) think it is more Keldorn's fault for taking her too seriously.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:05 AM   #42
Whailor

OK my 3rd comment, yet again about Minsc and stuff in general..

Someone stated that Minsc is dieing in their hands all the time and sucks because of that. Weird, in my party the 2 toughest members are my char and Minsc. Minsc sure has HP to take the beating and return in. Good for me. Yes, his low WIS and rolls and such perhaps are not as good against those mind affecting spells, I am not saying it isn't so. It isn't though happening in my game as such. I am a main tank usually, so the fights go like this: party stands behind, I walk to door, kick it off it's hinges, yell "Surrender fools!" and charge in. All baddies flock on me and then Minsc comes from behind with the rest of the party. Done, minced meat everywhere flying. Simply don't forget to equip the chars accordingly.

Someone also mentioned 'loyalty'. Heck that's probably one of the main things, why I always take Minsc with me. He's stupid, yes, but he's darn loyal. The rest whine here and there and don't like this or that (like I care though what others like), but Minsc doesn't. He doesn't run away, betray and so on. Heck, what else do you want? I am better off with a loyal not-so-uber Minsc rather then some "uber axeman" Korgan. Considering that I am benevolent person. Meaning that I aint evil, but neither am I some total do-gooder - I always collect the Silver Pantaloons, because the darn wench deserves it. I'd kill her too, but OK, she isn't THAT annoying. Yet.. (and always return to that house later, heh) And I always tell to Lord Umar's wife where his husband is, and then watch them fight heh. And the mouthy "bosses" of the different gangs, I always leave them last while killing all his members around him/her/it - I want to show him/her/it how futile his/her/its attempt is heheh. So I aint a total do-gooder, but I aint totally evil either. And so there's no issue that any of my party members runs from me because of that. Heck some would probably leave me because I am too good..

So there. I aint going to scream that Minsc is that good, it's simply a matter of the taste. He is good enough for me, I equip him out well, he's loyal - all I will ever need from him. He rarely dies or is close to death, he does fight very well (in my games anyway). I ordered ToB and will get hopefully soon. Guess who is one certain person, who will be there in my party? Yes, Minsc. Guy never asked from me anything and has come with me through heaves and hell, literally. So yeah, I respect that and he's forever in my parties [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides, what's the darn fun in the game when someone tries to create the 'uber' party all the way? Bah, artifical crap. I take people as they are, with their good and bad sides. And to those who are getting aggravated by voices - perhaps you should really see a shrink. If the in-game voice of a fictional char makes you lose your wits, then hell, what can happen in the real world..
Old 12-03-2001, 09:40 AM   #43
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

OOPs. Rob, somebody should have warned you about getting on Viconia's case when Galadria is around.Now, for heaven's sake, don't say anything about Nalia or , especially, Imoen. LOL. I agree with her about Vickey, I have to, I'm married to her. By the way, Galadria, it's just Vickey who has the razorblood wine, you have scotch. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 10:18 AM   #44
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Dude... Minsc is a Ranger. All Rangers get 2* in Two Weapon Style whether they like it or not. So if you want to diss, diss not the programmer, but the people who created 2nd Ed D&D.

Rangers are suppose to be living in the wild, and sometimes it is far better to shoot a target, then to engage it in melee. There is nothing wrong with having profiencies in Longbows, it makes sense. Who wants to hunt rabbits with a sword? Far better and more efficient to hit it with a bow.

Minsc does not seem like a guy who bothers with shields( blows to the head anyone?), and his dialogue points to this.

"No effect? Need bigger sword!"

So it also makes sense that he prefers Two-Handed Swords.

Remember, the NPCs were made with roleplay in mind. If you want to totally powergame, then go create a custom party instead.

Ive got a custom party and I at least try and Roleplay them- give them characteristic weapons items and spells and use them in a particular way.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:29 AM   #45
Russ
Manshoon

Um, Galadria... Viconia is a specialty priestess of Shar in good standing. Sorry. You don't get to be one of those and cast unholy blights unless you're severely challenged in the scruples department.

-edit- meant to put in a note, but clicked... if there is a way to change Viconia's alignment... such an item or quest would be a great character hook.

otoh, deals just like that are why these characters are so much fun to play with, and so well-written. Besides, late in the night, if I want to pull my wife's nose out of her book, all I have to do is go to Minsc's inventory and click on Boo...
Old 12-03-2001, 11:00 AM   #46
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Radiant_Memphit:
Ive got a custom party and I at least try and Roleplay them- give them characteristic weapons items and spells and use them in a particular way.

Yes, you can roleplay with a custom party; but my point was that if you do not like the NPCs just because their stats 'suck', then go create your own party members instead.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 02:32 PM   #47
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Um, Galadria... Viconia is a specialty priestess of Shar in good standing. Sorry. You don't get to be one of those and cast unholy blights unless you're severely challenged in the scruples department.

-edit- meant to put in a note, but clicked... if there is a way to change Viconia's alignment... such an item or quest would be a great character hook.

otoh, deals just like that are why these characters are so much fun to play with, and so well-written. Besides, late in the night, if I want to pull my wife's nose out of her book, all I have to do is go to Minsc's inventory and click on Boo...

Oh, Russ, Russ,Russ,(shakes head) SPOILER
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
If you romance Viconia, and do it right, she will change alignments to Good in TOB. What you have to be is firm and kind and ignore her rants. She's good-hearted, she's just confused. Don't encourage her, it makes it impossible to change.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 12-03-2001, 02:42 PM   #48
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
OOPs. Rob, somebody should have warned you about getting on Viconia's case when Galadria is around.Now, for heaven's sake, don't say anything about Nalia or , especially, Imoen. LOL. I agree with her about Vickey, I have to, I'm married to her. By the way, Galadria, it's just Vickey who has the razorblood wine, you have scotch. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Attalus, you're supposed to be seeing patients, not playing on the internet.BTW, Vickey, Imoen, Nalia and I had lunch at Keldorn's Order Building, where you're not a member. Guess who we talked about. And BTW, its LADY Galadria to you, until you e-mail that test to Sir Byronas. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 06:50 PM   #49
Ningauble
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I guess Minsc's personality forces people to have strong opinions.

Next to your main character (if you're a fighter type) Minsc is as good as you're going to do in the first dungeon for serious "buttkicking" so I can't see why you'd leave him in his cell.

Fall on my sword Evil. I won't be as gentle!
That's easily my favorite line of his.

Now I don't mind his general loopiness, and I like the fact that he's got the low Int and Wis scores but he's not as big dumb moron, he's a nutjob. A fine distinction to be sure.
Ningauble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:49 AM   #50
Rob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As for everyone who took my comment on Viconia the wrong way I should apologize. It is ment to be taken the OTHER way. Anomen and Keldorn both leave your party the moment you take Viconia with you. I always rescue and free her myself, even though I get MUCH complaining about it from my followers and I too on many occasions have gone out of my way to turn her to good. The only reason I don't take her is because Aerie reminds me more of my in real life girl friend that I am always protecting. Thus I feel like I protect her, and if you have Aerie's Romance then you can't have Viconia's (mainly cause I'm to lazy to get the hack that allows both, besides I'd have issues about cheating if I did). Back to the point she had a hard time and I would protect and save her, turn her good, but not sleep with her since Aerie is just to much like my real life girlfriend. Innocent, wanting to see more of the world, curious about.... uhh.h.... things. ~whistles~ I think I'll stop before I get in trouble. Nothing was ment about Viconia going to have it out with Keldorn and Anomen, what was ment was more how they would treat her. Oddly I would have figured Jaheria to be more passive on the subject of Viconia personally. I think if any of the characters were a pain it wouldn't be Minsc though. I'd leave behind Jaheria, let her whine about balance while Minsc, Boo, and I get songs of glorious 'good' deeds written about us.