Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 01:31 PM   #161
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Thankyou. My point entirely. So give it a rest and comply with the will of the people.
Yes, sir, Chairman Mao. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] Seriously, I've never heard a more tyrannical comment. [/QUOTE]You meant democratic I'm sure. The will of the people is just that. We don't want your smoke. [/QUOTE]Actually it is the will of health boards in most communities, who are not elected and don't have the science to back their assertions. The process they go by is not democratic.

Here in Framingham, MA outside Boston as I posted in the other thread, the voters supported requiring segregated smoking areas in resteraunts and giving bars a choice in the matter. They overturned the unelected health boards unilateral ban on smoking in bars. The will of the people here seems to be in sharp contrast to the will of the people where you are. I wonder did the people get to vote on the issue where you are at or was it an unelected health board with their facist seeming tendency to tell people how to live and where to live like it.

If it was truly a health problem tobacco would be as illegal as pot.

If you dont want the smoke, go away to a place that caters to people like you. If I want to smoke I wont go to a non-smoking place. Fair and equal.

I firmly believe their is a compromise in this issue, but I guess you have to believe it to see it.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:32 PM   #162
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
quote:
The banning is in NYC. NYC is full of bars. Taco bells are rarer. Not much money there. It's all about the bars and restraunts here.
Hey, here's a thought.

MOVE WHERE THE FRIGGIN' JOBS ARE!!
[/QUOTE]That would be New York City wiseguy.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #163
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
The will of the people here seems to be in sharp contrast to the will of the people where you are. I wonder did the people get to vote on the issue where you are at or was it an unelected health board with their facist seeming tendency to tell people how to live and where to live like it.
Bloomberg was elected. He made the call.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #164
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Australias education system is so good, that America has been importing teachers and syllabus to teach New Yorkers in particular, how to read better.
It's that good? Wow. Let me try to contain myself...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #165
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Thorfinn:
quote:
The banning is in NYC. NYC is full of bars. Taco bells are rarer. Not much money there. It's all about the bars and restraunts here.
Hey, here's a thought.

MOVE WHERE THE FRIGGIN' JOBS ARE!!
[/QUOTE]That would be New York City wiseguy.
[/QUOTE]Apparently not, if the only jobs are at bars and restaurants...
Old 05-13-2003, 01:37 PM   #166
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
The will of the people here seems to be in sharp contrast to the will of the people where you are. I wonder did the people get to vote on the issue where you are at or was it an unelected health board with their facist seeming tendency to tell people how to live and where to live like it.
Bloomberg was elected. He made the call. [/QUOTE]And he ran on the platform to ban smoking in bars? Is this the reason the majoriy of voters chose him? Putting it to a referendum or having an issue be a central part of an election platform is the only way to qualify the "will of the people" in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #167
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thorfin, you're missing the point.

Chewbacca, you too. If New Yorkers feel strongly enough about the issue, they can vote Bloomberg out.

In any case, just yesterday I read findings that showed bar/restraunt clientelle and business in New York is UP 3% since the banning.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #168
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Thorfin, you're missing the point.

Chewbacca, you too. If New Yorkers feel strongly enough about the issue, they can vote Bloomberg out.

In any case, just yesterday I read findings that showed bar/restraunt clientelle and business in New York is UP 3% since the banning.
I get your point. Smoking should be completely banned and there is no compromise on the issue.

I would love to see a source for the 3% increase please! Is it just bars because mixing resteraunts in with those statistics would be misleading. Resteraunts have had regulated smoking areas for years now. Bars are the issue here.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #169
Mordenheim
Elminster

The same lawyer who won millions for smokers is the one who has won 2 out of 7 cases against McDonald's. I just seen one his clients.. I very large woman use the line "I can't help it they make it irresistable" and no I am not kidding. She won......

The same lawyer who won against smoking.

You don't see a line here? America ... oh my
Old 05-13-2003, 01:54 PM   #170
MagiK

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Yorick, you may quote me in your post, but you may not mis-quote me or change the text to chjange its meaning or take it out of context..please undo your little edit above so that the purple actually reflects what I did post.
It is what you posted. I corrected the typo "gan" to "can". You said "OR GAN THE"... meaning it's an alternative I'm able to exclusively quote.

In any case, I have a requent. Could you please NOT include your reply in the quote box? If you made one structured reply instead of splitting it there wouldn't be an issue. One click quote.

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]Fair enough since I have previously announced I will not be pursueing this circular discussion any further.

I apologize for thinking that you were twisting my quotes maliciously. I see that I thought you were referencing a different post than the one you were actually using.