Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2002, 04:03 PM   #11
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, MagiK causing trouble again. Sorry, I am fairly unconcerned of the effect of DU rounds on the inhabitants of enemy tanks.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:05 PM   #12
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, MagiK causing trouble again. Sorry, I am fairly unconcerned of the effect of DU rounds on the inhabitants of enemy tanks.
Have any of you ever handled depleted uranium rounds? I can assure you I have being a former Marine aviation ordnanceman. Its been 16 years yet here I am! I have handled 20mm uranium depleted rounds singly, in belts, by the case, by the pallet, and worked on a bombing range in Yuma Arizona where there are actually fired. The projectiles (about the size of your pinkie) litter the desert. I think I still have a few somewhere. There are no mutated cancer lizards, no monster snakes, no killer bunnies (as in the movie Night of the Lepus [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) infesting the Arizona desert. Also no cancer-ridden ordnancemen, including myself. While I firmly believe in environmentalism in some cases they are full of crap. Playing on the fears and ignorance of the public with stats skewed their way to further their own agandas. I propose we administer a 20mm depleted uranium suppository to one of them to properly guage the effects. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thank you for not hearing a word I'm saying [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2002, 05:16 PM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
[QB(as in the movie Night of the Lepus [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB]
LOL! I loved The Night of the Lepus It was so bad, that I still recall the bathos of their radio calls out. And trying to make bunny rabbits act like monsters. I actually felt sorry for the handlers. (Director: "Now give me a ferocious bunny rabbit!" Handler: *looks helplessly at bunny rabit twitching its nose.*)
Did you see The Killer Shrews? They had collie dogs painted and with fake teeth. In one scene, I swear that one of the "Shrews" was licking the actors instead of biting them.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:23 PM   #14
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

LOL Attalus I missed the shrews! I'll look for it on TNT or TBS I remember the bunnies/Lepus gnawing on the silly humans! It was corny as hell LOL
Old 10-20-2002, 05:45 PM   #15
MagiK

You nut jobs! The DU rounds are SUPPOSED to kill the inhabitants of tanks!...errr Enemy tanks...Im pretty sure the inhabitants of the tanks firing the DU rounds might get a bit miffed if they were to start dropping dead from handeling the silly things.

Hey LoA do they make you wear lead undies when you have to use those rounds? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2002, 05:47 PM   #16
MagiK

Boy you guys watch some of the worst movies....wonder what it says about me that I do too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2002, 05:56 PM   #17
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Boy you guys watch some of the worst movies....wonder what it says about me that I do too [img]smile.gif[/img]
Errr remember Attack of the Killer Leaches? A true classic!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:34 PM   #18
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yes, LoA, I saw The Killer Leeches and appreciate its ... artistry

One of the recent hot arguments around our house was about whether Freddie Got Fingered had replaced Ed Wood's Plan Nine From Outer Space as the worst movie of all times. The consensus was that it had, because we laughed a lot more watching Plan Nine than that other bit of ... weirdness. The scene where the cop trips over the gravestone and it goes sproing-g-g has me rolling on the floor every time, and Piestrider, too.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:45 PM   #19
Eisenschwarz

Quote:
I understand that but: A. Depleted Uranium isn't causing tank crews to drop dead from the radiation,(because it is not that radioactive)
Quoting:
“The purpose of this work was to determine the concentration and ratio of uranium isotopes in allied forces Gulf War veterans. The 27 patients had their 24-hour urine samples analysed for 234U, 235U, 236U, and 238U by mass spectrometry. The urine samples were evaporated and separated into isotopic dilution and concentration fraction by the chromatographic technique. The isotopic composition was measured by a thermal ionisation mass spectrometer using a secondary electron multiplier detector and ion-counting system. The uranium blank control and SRM960 U isotopic standard were analysed by the same procedure. Statistical analysis was done by an unpaired t test. The results confirm the presence of depleted uranium (DU) in 14 of 27 samples...”

I won’t pretend to understand much of that, But what this study seems to be saying is that 14 out of 27 allied forces gulf war veterans (in the study) were found to have DU in their bodies. This means that More people who were involved in the fighting might have it in them.
And Having DU in your body is bad (

A report on DU by the U.S. Army
Environmental Policy Institute says that "if DU enters the body, it has the
potential to generate significant medical consequences. The risks associated
with DU in the body are both chemical and radiological..."

Quote:
B. Almost all of the DU rounds were fired in unoccupied desert and most importantly of all. C.
I should think that thousands of Soldiers were exposed to depleted uranium aerosol fallout particles during the 4 days of ground battles in Kuwait and Iraq.
Additional soldiers could have been exposed because
they entered, crawled on, sat on, touched or kicked up dust by walking
around Iraqi tanks and other vehicles destroyed by depleted uranium metal penetrates used in cannon rounds.

It's interesting to note that A sub-commission of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights appointed a 'rapporteur' to investigate the use of depleted uranium weapons among other types of weapons, after passing a resolution which categorised depleted uranium weapons alongside such as nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, napalm, and cluster bombs as a 'weapon of indiscriminate effect'.

Quote:
The Iraqi population centers are NORTH of where these aerosols were supposedly generated..the prevailing winds are west to east. SOOOOOO the people who should be dropping in droves would have to be in Khuzestan Iran and maybe in Basra and northern Kuwait, and not in Baghdad or any other Iraqi population center.
I dunno enough about that, I cede the point unless anyone knows more.

Quote:
What part of Iraq? Look at the maps and check the prevailing winds, only Bassra could have been affected. There are no other "Population" centers down there. Kuwait and Iran would have been the ones that should be reporting problems not Iraqi's
Quoteing;

"Another report showed that the prevailing winds during the days of tank battles in southern Iraq blew southeast, "meaning that the fumes from depleted uranium went back to the American forces in Kuwait," said Suad Naji al-Azawi, a University of Baghdad ecologist who was educated at Colorado College in Colorado Springs."

So rather than the Iraqi people, It seems teh USA forces got it instead!

Quote:
Well yes the some armor has some DU in it, but I don't think we were tossing tank hulls around to bombard troops or cities. Nearly all penetrators that aren't of a ceramic nature are tungsten. I have never read about any other material.
LOSAT specs show that the penetrator is a "High Density Rod Armour Penetrator" which previously has been used to describe a long tapered tungsten rod.
I want A gold Kinetic penetrator.
IIRC Armour is becomeing Too hard to penetrate now, So the main points of attack are now Tracks & the Turret Ring. so Maybe They can get rid of that nasty DU and use other Fun Heavy Metals.

HTH!
HAND!

Old 10-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #20
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Hey Magic, doesn't the Phalanx(sp) System fire DU rounds?