Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm random restarts, can't say I've had many of these but I did have a few while playing Heroes of Might and Magic 4. It sounds like you've got either an overheating problem (have you tried installing and extra fan and/or heatsink?) or a memory problem. More likely an overheating problem as a memory problem usually leads to a nice blue screen and then a forced restart whereas you're going straight to the restart right?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-02-2003, 02:35 PM   #12
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

From the symptoms, I'd say a mobo problem is likely. What brand/model is your mobo?

This might be a good time to contemplate a mobo/cpu upgrade, and get a performance boost.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #13
andrewas
Harper

I have the same problem, but I know my hardware is stable, since the problem only occurs under winXP. It once lost me a truly incredible Angband save - no way in hell I will ever get *that* lucky again. Life sucks.

In your case, overheating is a strong possibility. Athlon chips are rated to 80C, but 60c is above the recommended temperature. So upgrading the cooling is probably a good idea.

Replacing the PSU is maybe a good idea, this doesnt sound to me like a PSU problem, but if you have a small PSU then it could be. 350W minimum for your system I would say.

Switching the motherboard may be the only fix though.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #14
Link
Jack Burton

So summed up, I should do the following:

- Add another cooling device, or somehow give the processor more cold air. I have already removed one of the sides of the computer box itself, which dropped the temperature 5 to 6 degrees. Maybe removing the other one will help as well..
- Install a new mother board. I have no idea where I can check what kind of mother board I have. If you help me with that, I can check it for you, Sir Krustin..
- Replace the PSU..

I know how to fix the first two, but what do you mean with replacing the PSU, andrewas? The other problem I'm facing are two problems actually. One is that I didn't buy the computer in a store, but just from someone I know. Although he mentioned a warant, he hasn't answered my SMS yet.. Second problem is that my computer is relatively new, and I don't want to upgrade it by buying a lot of new stuff. I also can't afford it, I'm afraid..

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-02-2003, 03:37 PM   #15
andrewas
Harper

PSU = Power Supply Unit. Certain companies skimp on these and lack of power mean the system becomes unstable.

On IDing the mobo, it can be done by opening the case and checking the markings, but it would be easier to run Sisoft Sandra on it, and check the motherboard in that.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:51 PM   #16
skywalker
Banned User

I have replaced 2 motherboards in 2 IBM Netvista computers that had the same problem of rebooting spontaneously and/or erratically. I'm about to do the same with a Compaq Evo. It may your problem too.

Mark
Old 02-02-2003, 03:56 PM   #17
Charlie
Lord Ao

I'm guessing you've already sworn at it. Have you tried threatening it?
I have a big hammer I can send you should you need it. They often capitulate when the hammer comes out, they know it's serious then and start behaving.
Just ask.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #18
Link
Jack Burton

As far as I can check, this 'SiSoft Sandra' isn't available for free downloading, right? It's too late for opening the case, so I'll do that another time.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2003, 04:06 PM   #19
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
I'm guessing you've already sworn at it. Have you tried threatening it?
I have a big hammer I can send you should you need it. They often capitulate when the hammer comes out, they know it's serious then and start behaving.
Just ask.
Well.. I have been standing in front of the computer, holding a huge hammer in my hands ready to strike at the computer, but then the others in my house (I'm a student) ran over to stop me, because they do like my computer. Playing Mariokart is soo much fun! But I'll take your advise in consideration [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2003, 04:52 PM   #20
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
As far as I can check, this 'SiSoft Sandra' isn't available for free downloading, right? It's too late for opening the case, so I'll do that another time.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Unless they've changed it in that last two days, it should have a free download.

Yup, the standard/shareware version., youll need the version for win32. It may npt work properly on win98SE without a few more programs though, but even so it should tell you what mobo you have.