Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

We've had a big 30 some inch TV, no flatscreen or anything, just a big giant thing, for about 6 years or so. Occasionally it just turns itself on out of nowhere. Since we've lived in this house I've noticed it more, and I noticed that it seems to always do it if the power goes out for a few seconds then comes back on. BUT, it doesn't turn itself on when the power comes back on, it does it randomly, sometimes a half hour after power is restored, sometimes it could be an hour or two after. And again, sometimes it's done it when the power never even went off. I just noticed the power-off thing cause two weeks ago the power went out in the middle of the night, then it did it again a few nights ago (so fun, I get to get up and turn the light on, blind myself, so I can set the damn digital clock in the bedroom back so I can get up in the morning!), and both times the TV randomly came on afterwards, I could see the glare from under the door LOL.

Well, it did something different last night. I came home 20 minutes early (thank God!) and noticed the TV was on, but it didn't turn itself on or anything, hubby had turned it on when he got home from work apparently. He btw was downstairs in his dungeon with his friend playing music, guitar, blah blah, totally not paying any attention to anything outside of their space LOL, as usual. So I go into my room, boot up my PC, and I hear this sound. From my room it sounded like the snap of the front door locking into place. I'm like "I know I just locked that door and I can hear them downstairs, so it can't be them" and go to investigate. I notice the TV is now off, and an odd light peeping/crackling/fizzing (hard to describe) sound is coming out of the back of the TV. So I yell downstairs a zillion times, finally get hubby to come up. By the time he gets up the burning electric smell starts, and gets worse and worse by the second. Oh, what's the first thing hubby does? Tries to hit the button to turn it back on. Well of course it doesn't come back on and the smell is REALLY overwhelming now, I mean smoke is gonna start anytime now I'm thinkin, then fire LOL, electrical at that, fun stuff, and he finally realizes this and unplugs the dang thing.

So TV is dead in the living room now LOL. Man that's gonna be one big piece of trash to get rid of. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] I can't imagine being able to just set it out on the street on trash day LOL.

I dunno what happened though, beats me. It always was a freaky TV LOL. But you know, I must wonder....the TV was not hooked up to a surge protector. I'm thinking power surges? What do yall think?

Oh and you know, if not for me getting home early and hearing that snap (probably something popped) and investigating, the entire house would have burned down before hubby would have noticed, at least a substantial part of it, not kidding, he even admitted to that. Thank God it didn't turn itself on and then pop when nobody was home, sheesh.

[img]graemlins/lamb.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
POLTERGEIST !!!

*runs away from thread*

Old 01-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

The pop may be common. There are static dischargers in the set to clear the capicators, and the set pops when you turn it on or off. As for the on and off, could be anything fro defective switch, remote, or receiver in the set. And yes it could be power surges.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

You ever watch that movie white noise. About the dead talking through the T.V. I think you may have something here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But just in-case I am wrong. Happy t.v shopping. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

LOL, guys, this TV was turning itself on at our other house as well, so if it's a ghost, it's a ghost in the TV LOL, and well, it's found the white light now [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Oh and Arvon the sound was pretty loud, the pop or snap or whatever it was, cause I heard it pretty clearly from another room, with another TV on as well. When we turned that big TV on it yes made a click sound, but nothing loud nor anything I'd hear probably in my room with the TV in my room on.

Definitely something defective. I think it had something to do with whatever switch, etc. that made it turn itself on. This time it turned itself OFF and committed suicide LOL. Was a Philips Magnavox btw.

That thing freaked me out with the turning itself on thing, so I myself won't miss it LOL, I hardly watch TV in the living room anyways, and hubby has his Aquios TV in his dungeon. Bet the one who will suffer the most will be the cat, at night she demands time on the couch in the living room for snuggling. Well, without any TV, that won't be happening LOL. Man, and again, how to get rid of this giant TV? Heh, I bet if we look to find a replacement, they aren't $900 anymore.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Lady Z, I can totally identify with this my pc has a bizarre habit of doing the exact same thing. It hasnt burnt out yet but it is frightening to wake up at 5 in the morning to the sound of my comp firing up, I have no explanation other than maybe watching Ghost In The Machine one too many times

As an aside are you sure the TV is ruined and cant be fixed? Maybe save yourself a few doubloons [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-05-2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Madman-Rogovich ]
Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Ladyzekke

I don't want it fixed Madman LOL. I think it was flawed from the get-go, would rather go without until we get another one. And I checked online and indeed they are cheaper now than they were 6 years ago since they are not flat screens.

That's also freaky if your PC is doing it. I think if my PC started doing that I'd unplug the thing and only plug it in when I used it LOL.

Oh and on a side note, I remember ages ago I had a car that didn't start itself, but was reluctant to shut off, i.e, I turned the key off, got out of car, still it is making stuttering sounds, and you could even see the hood moving to the stuttering. After a minute or so finally it would turn the F off LOL. Sheesh. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Oh and I bought a twinkie once that had NO filling at all in it. Damn the bastaids! All of em! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

They're here!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

The tv is possessed, sent it for exorcism. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Time to call the gnome exterminators. Gnomes just love to mess with gadgets, and it sounds like you're infested. Trust me, they're like little groupies, they'll follow you to the ends of the earth! My gnome stalkers have managed to follow me all the way across the world.

But really, I'm glad you caught the TV before it burned you out of your home or worse. Even if the TV was tip top when it came into your home (which I doubt, given the way things are handled in most stores. Worked in a stock room for a while, oh the horrors) over time little power spikes would fry the circuits, even something as simple as accidentally hitting the power button just right so it goes on then off. Our new electric fan did that, and the vacuum. Probably cheaper to replace it than fix your tv anyhow, since you're looking at the very least at having to replace the power source thingy. That's a technical term, by the way, since I forgot what they're called. Then there will be the various little other doohickies that will have been screwed up and need to be replaced. Our tv did the same thing