Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2001, 09:14 PM   #31
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

well, im both. i dont really think rp as in RP. get it? im like yeah, get aerie, and whoever for fun. and stuff... and edwin for power. korgan too, but this time i refuse to

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...teehee and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-05-2001, 12:24 AM   #32
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I guess I lean more towards powergaming, but I try to role-play as much as I can. It's all from the Diablo background
I use all the tools that I'm given (no sense in wasting time and effort to get Crom Faeyr if you are'nt going to use it), but I don't do things like say.. create a fighter with a max prof in Warhammers and dual wielding just to Dual Wield Crom Faeyr and Celestial Fury or something. I tailor my group to the circumstances. I might spend an hour rolling up stats, but that's just to get the best out of my character
Playing an Evil-Party really gets the role-playing aspect going I think. The first time around everyone wants to get the powertools and the best parties with the good guys. The second time around, playing an evil assassin really gets you "in-character". Like that quest for Edwin where he tells you to aquire papers for him. Being the evil guy that I was, I had an option to say "ooh look there's a fly on you're neck (quickly and silently break his neck)"
Needless to say, I took it, even though my orders were to do it without bloodshed.
Nifty!

------------------
Why?

[This message has been edited by Lifetime (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-05-2001, 01:34 AM   #33
Jaret
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Neither - I'm just an explorer. (and an obsessive compulsive one at that.) I like to explore every nook and cranny of the game world, and to try every possibility. I end up with a lot of junk, so you could say I'm a powergamer - but I don't actually use it. Heck, I don't think I've ever even used any of those wands that are cluttering up my inventory except once to test the "cloudkill from out of sight" cheese tactic I heard about on this site. Kind of dissappointing, actually. I prefer to invent my own cheesy (read "wierd") tactics.
Needless to say, my method is time consuming and leads to a lot of reloads, but I have fun with it.

------------------
Philosophically, I'm chaotic evil. In practice, well.... (Dang conscience!)
Old 06-05-2001, 02:17 AM   #34
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Powergamer but not a cheese monster
Old 06-05-2001, 02:25 AM   #35
Cayle
The Magister

Also a Roleplayer with bit of powergamer trying to break out.

In my first time through, I never asembled Crom Fyer, I sold Celestial Fury, I kept Minsc rather than Keldorn because of Ranger solidarity and I wielded Dragonslayer and Namarra (later the Equalizer when more powerful weapons are available, Minsc used Sarevok's sword until Ch6, I fretted about putting innocents in danger when I fought a Gith war party in Waukeen’s Promenade, I used the Staff of the Magi all of once and I gave the “cloak of cheating” to Aerie rather than using it on my Ranger. That was "prevention of reloads due to Aerie getting killed yet again", or PORDTAGKYA for short. I also always assemble my groups to maximize NPC interactions. Aerie and Korgan/Minsc/Hear’ Dalis, Minsc and Aerie/Edwin, Keldorn and Edwin/Viconia/Anomen, etc. and my first group kept Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen because they were with me in BG1.

I always max the main stat for whatever class I am using, I give out magic items in such a way as to maximize the effectiveness of my party and you will pry the Ring of Gaxx out of my cold, dead fingers.

BGII lends itself to powergaming with its wide array of overpowered items. One or two such items spiced up a game, but this is ridiculous. In PnP, I usually have to run away.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:56 AM   #36
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

id like to say i was a RPer, but id be lying if i didnt say i wasnt tempted toward powergaming. every time i play a mage or a thief, i almost always get some elven chain. i try to RP, but thats usually w/ fighters that can use everything (if not its in red). the only diff is in my ranger that will only use bows and swords. well, since ive already said a few lines, i suppose its time for me to shut up now too.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:22 AM   #37
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Definative sign of a powergamer with a guilty conscience: Not using Keldorn when you have the Holy Avenger, but refusing to sell it "just in case"

------------------
Why?
Old 06-05-2001, 10:23 AM   #38
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Well, since you asked...

I would probably fall into the powergamer category in your eyes. I like to make my character strong, and I don't mind using Shadowkeeper. I don't max all my stats, but my prime requisite(s) sure get up there (I am a half-god, by the way). I like strong weapons and armor, but if I gave myself all the best, why would I bother looking for any other? And if I wouldn't have dualed Imoen at level 7 and distributed her thieving skills that way in BGI, why should I suffer the designers role-playing over my own? Like the others have mentioned, CRPGs offer little in the way of complex interaction like the "P&P" style games, so I get my kicks where I can. My characters act their alignments, use appropriate weapons, and advance just as I would roleplay. Otherwise, I love cheating!
Old 06-05-2001, 10:37 AM   #39
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

OKI, the booring answer for me, both actually.. I like both styles and after I had made it through the first time, I wanted to have a power-dude that could laugh kangaxx in the face (more like a stupid character! ) But well, I was looking for the bets solutions and equipment. After that I tried a bard and made it through with the best things for a bard, which is very different for fighters etc..

So, I like to go both ways really..

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Old 06-05-2001, 01:25 PM   #40
Vampire

A bit of both.
Never give ridculous stats to characters....obey D&D rules.
BUT MUST HAVE ALL COOL ITEMS...even if I can't use them.
I modify NPC's but never give them highier than normal stats..just twicnkle them to my tastes.