Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Question Mark Re: Ok you PC techies! (DSL issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
Your location changed between tests from OH to KY.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: Ok you PC techies! (DSL issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Your location changed between tests from OH to KY.
The server test site changed (Auto).

After "soft" reset.

CinnCiti
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234586326.png

Eastern KY
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234590404.png

Indy
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234593864.png

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Last edited by Felix The Assassin; 04-03-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
No, the server test site changed.

After "soft" reset.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234586326.png
Yeah, but the site should choose the closest to you - are you very close to the OH border to justify it moving state? Mine selects tons of servers in neighbouring cities before ever going into another state. Just noting it, is all.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Ok you PC techies! (DSL issue)

Quote:
Just replying to the edit here. Still, mine will not change its destination automatically, but rather, it will choose the closest one to me with the lowest possible ping and remain fixed on that one. Even if I reset my hardware it again calculates the closest to me and still comes up with the same location. I can run the test multiple times and the destination remains the same. I am wondering why yours is changing. Maybe it's nothing *shrug*.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Just replying to the edit here. Still, mine will not change its destination automatically, but rather, it will choose the closest one to me with the lowest possible ping and remain fixed on that one. Even if I reset my hardware it again calculates the closest to me and still comes up with the same location. I can run the test multiple times and the destination remains the same. I am wondering why yours is changing. Maybe it's nothing *shrug*.
Geographically speaking:
Lexington = 1st server 85 miles
Cincinnati = 115 miles
Nashville = 118 miles
Indianapolis = 130 miles

These are the 4 that auto searches first.

No idea on meaning. Except Nashville always "shows" a slightly higher rate, (downhill maybe) ~LOL.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234712582.png

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Geographically speaking:
Lexington = 1st server 85 miles
Cincinnati = 115 miles
Nashville = 118 miles
Indianapolis = 130 miles

These are the 4 that auto searches first.

No idea on meaning. Except Nashville always "shows" a slightly higher rate, (downhill maybe) ~LOL.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234712582.png
Yeah, odd how it flips about for you. Like for me, it chooses closest and stays put.

Anyway, one may show a higher rate at one point, then change due to congestion later. These are all just snapshots and don't really tell you much about your issue other than confirming your low speeds. Have you run a traceroute?

And how easy is it to tell in the practical sense (before hitting speedtest) that you are experiencing a "bout" of trouble?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Are you sure one of your neighbors isn't downloading movie torrents? When the tech visited he could've cancelled that session, which freed up bandwidth for you until that neighbor cranked it up again...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Are you near Nicholasville, Ky? Wind stream is dominate there, and they DO suck.

Have you modified your registry settings? (MTU=1499) etc? I can give you that program if you need it... what OS you on? XP?

When you did a hard reset of your router, it ALSO reset your password. which is default "admin" I would change that first... go to 192.168.1.1 and simply enter the password admin.. (leave the username blank.) go to administrator props and change it..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Ok you PC techies! (DSL issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRider View Post
Are you sure one of your neighbors isn't downloading movie torrents? When the tech visited he could've cancelled that session, which freed up bandwidth for you until that neighbor cranked it up again...
Unless the ISP is so small that it can only handle one user utilizing their maximum speed (lol), I doubt this would be the case. He isn't sharing internet with the neighbour. Would be funny if he was tho, lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Are you near Nicholasville, Ky? Wind stream is dominate there, and they DO suck.
No, 16 miles West by SW of Ft. Knox, 37 miles South by SW of Louisville. The old "Faye" Thompson farm off of 1600 between Vine Grove and Flaherty. Bobby Joe was caught dipping his wick elsewhere in 2001, Faye took all 532 acres. Divided the odd shapes into 10-15 acre "mini-farms", and sold a 400 acre rectangle to a developer. She built a small mansion on the remaining 65 acres and runs million dollar horses, her stables are nicer than the 1/4 million dollar homes the "Hardin County Home Association of Builders" built in the old cow pasture!

Windstream bought out Alltel a couple years past. (The only DSL service).

Quote:
Have you modified your registry settings? (MTU=1499) etc? I can give you that program if you need it... what OS you on? XP?
No, I have made no changes in several years.

Quote:
When you did a hard reset of your router, it ALSO reset your password. which is default "admin" I would change that first... go to 192.168.1.1 and simply enter the password admin.. (leave the username blank.) go to administrator props and change it..
Correct, that is first thing completed post "hard" reset.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen