Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: WBC told to shut up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRider View Post
Maybe the best attack they could make is to hack the news sites and REMOVE references to WBC. Take away their media attention & let them stew in the dark...
Hackers can do far more than just attack their websites. They can also hack their financial records and (conceivably) gain access to their bank accounts. If they do that, they could possibly lock down those accounts and cut off the troll's access to his money. That WOULD bring a screeching halt to many of his protest trips since he wouldn't be able to access the funds to pay for them.

That is the type of attack from which troll and family might not fully recover. Attacking the two listed websites is just a diversion. Even if they were successful, the troll could just create new websites, so any "victory" on that front by Anonymous would be temporary at best.

But as Bungleau points out, the only restrictions on Anonymous are time and their willingness to keep trying. I would add a third constraint - not getting caught. Those are the only limits Anonymous has. Even if the troll manages to hold them off for an extended period of time, he is still having to commit time, resources and money to that effort, which will take away those resources from his normal activities. It may not eliminate his protests, but it will hamper them in the interim. Again, though, that is going to be more of an annoyance than anything. But that's ok. I suspect Anonymous plans to be like John McClain in the first Die Hard movie; a fly in the ointment, a monkey in the wrench, a pain in the ass.....until they wear down the defenses enough to strike at the heart of the opposition and do some real damage.

Their greatest asset is the supreme arrogance of their opponent. The troll has gotten away with his actions for so long, he believes he has become virtually untouchable. Shouting an open challenge for dedicated hackers to "Bring It" is the height of ignorance and arrogance, but that's what the troll does best.

I think this time, though, it might be a case of "Be careful what you wish for".
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: WBC told to shut up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Hackers can do far more than just attack their websites. They can also hack their financial records and (conceivably) gain access to their bank accounts. If they do that, they could possibly lock down those accounts and cut off the troll's access to his money. That WOULD bring a screeching halt to many of his protest trips since he wouldn't be able to access the funds to pay for them.

That is the type of attack from which troll and family might not fully recover. Attacking the two listed websites is just a diversion. Even if they were successful, the troll could just create new websites, so any "victory" on that front by Anonymous would be temporary at best.

But as Bungleau points out, the only restrictions on Anonymous are time and their willingness to keep trying. I would add a third constraint - not getting caught. Those are the only limits Anonymous has. Even if the troll manages to hold them off for an extended period of time, he is still having to commit time, resources and money to that effort, which will take away those resources from his normal activities. It may not eliminate his protests, but it will hamper them in the interim. Again, though, that is going to be more of an annoyance than anything. But that's ok. I suspect Anonymous plans to be like John McClain in the first Die Hard movie; a fly in the ointment, a monkey in the wrench, a pain in the ass.....until they wear down the defenses enough to strike at the heart of the opposition and do some real damage.

Their greatest asset is the supreme arrogance of their opponent. The troll has gotten away with his actions for so long, he believes he has become virtually untouchable. Shouting an open challenge for dedicated hackers to "Bring It" is the height of ignorance and arrogance, but that's what the troll does best.

I think this time, though, it might be a case of "Be careful what you wish for".
Anonymous is known as a "hacktivist" group as opposed to just a random number of hackers who break security and steal stuff. Hacking into major banks is not their style, as it really puts an FBI target on them and will likely start a hunting party. They won't steal their accounts because of fraud and grand theft charges, and gaining any sensitive information from a major bank would result in big problems for this group - which they seem to steer clear of. Their thing is more in the realm of simple DDoS attacks, crashing websites that they deem a target. With Wikileaks, they targetted sites that opposed the cables, citing freedom of information being paramount. They are not, however, above a DDoS attack on the WBC's bank site, but stealing their info and locking them out...I very much doubt we will see that. I also would be surprised if the leaders of WBC even utilize online banking at all. If they are anything like most old, conservative and highly religious people, they probably haven't a clue how to use a DVD player - nevermind an online bank. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even have an online bank account, and instead make withdrawals the old-fashioned way, in the lobby.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Aww, crap!!! It's a hoax...

It's a Hoax: Anonymous Did Not Threaten Westboro Baptist Church

Quote:
Based on its recent successes taking on the considerable forces aligned against Wikileaks, and its ability to take down HBGary--an information security firm--in a matter of hours, you do not want to be on the radar of the hacking collective known as "Anonymous". Perhaps that is why an apparent ultimatum from Anonymous to the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is making headlines. Problem is--it's a hoax.
more at the link. So is the troll smart enough to create a false threat to get some free publicity? Did one arm of Anonymous issue the threat, and another arm deny it? Rats! I wanted to see a war...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, saw this too. Apparently Anonymous say they have better things to worry about namely, being supportive of the Libyan protests. Didn't really add up to begin with.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

May have started as a hoax, but Anon got pissed. See their reply here:
http://rmonteux.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/xbb6u.png

Here is the story:
http://rovemonteux.net/2011/02/24/an...confrontation/

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am way past my bedtime, but a bigger picture is clearly visible in my mind. A dime a dozen fraudster hiding behind the banner of religion is no match for countless impressionable geeks getting kicks on their way to free media. When stood next to the person who controls them, Fred Phelps is nothing.

There's no hoax, but so too is there no fight with WBC. Just very cleverly selected targetting. Interesting stuff.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: WBC told to shut up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post

Here is the story:
WIN!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #18
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post

Here is the story:
WOW....OK, I only THOUGHT Fred Phelps was one of the most ignorant individuals I've ever seen or heard, but I gotta admit that baby girl can obviously hold her own in the Department of Ignorance.

She spends the entire interview interrupting Anonymous and the host and keeps talking like a bad-ass HS bee-yatch. Anonymous really does not need to do [i]anything[/i[ to Westboro Church because they could never do as much damage as just letting the Phelp's Family talk.

I believe the word "ignoramus" fits Shirley Phelps-Roper like a glove.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Aye, she needs a good smack in the head. Her dopey, arrogant smile says it all. Arrogance works when you know something - she clearly knows nothing, lol. What a dumbell she is. And you can see she has NO CLUE whether her website was just hacked or her stove was shut off so she can't bake anymore cakes. Not much going on behind those uncomprehending eyes. Like the rest of them, she is ignorant to the point of stupidity. I agree with Anon - these people are hardly even worth the effort. Move on, as they try to figure out this quirky new technology known as the internet.