Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
Thoran
Galvatron

Got this via email today... very funny but I don't trust these sorts of emails much anymore... smells like an Urban Legend.

Subject:: The best interview ever.

Marine Corps General Reinwald was interviewed on the radio the other day and you have to read his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children. This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is a portion of a National Public Radio (NPR) interview between a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General Reinwald who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military installation.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: So, General Reinwald, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL REINWALD: We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery, and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL REINWALD: I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER: But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL REINWALD: Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LMAO! [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Whether it's true or not it's funny. However I think the good old general needs to work on his arguments a bit. For a joke that was brilliant, for an argument that was not much better than a 12 year-old could have come up with.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

*snicker* Don´t sure if it is a good come back though, but still... LLAO!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Grungi
Banned User

rofl, thats urban legend, a general would NOT come up with a line like that in public, he'd be slated by all sorts of groups esp feminists, very very funny and a superb point indeed, i agree with that, everyone has capabilities to do different things, they just dont have to use them, so i see what hes saying but i dont believe thats a true interview, these days they have to watch what they say in public arena.

that argument is a good one if you read into it. Just because you have a tool (whether a body part or not) you dont have to use it in certain ways. So the children arent being equipped to be violent killers, they are being equipped to use a weapon pure and simple, if there are psychos amongst them they will go out and get a gun and practice with it irregardless of the army.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Alas, this story is just pure fabrication...although it does make for good entertainment.

Whenever you have a question about an urban legend, go to Snopes.com
They are the definitive experts on urban legends.

They also have an excellent Search Engine. Just type in General Reinwald interview and it will lead to the full story.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, it doesn't have to be true to be a good comeback. Sometimes that simple downhome Dr. Phil-type reasoning is best. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

And remember:
DON'T SQUAT WITH YOUR SPURS ON.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:31 PM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

I think it's a good argument winner!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #8
Rokenn
Galvatron

QUOTE]Originally posted by Thoran:

Marine Corps General Reinwald was interviewed on the radio the other day and you have to read his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children. This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is a portion of a National Public Radio (NPR) interview between a female broadcaster and US Marine Corps General Reinwald who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military installation.

The radio went silent and the interview ended.[/QB][/QUOTE]

These parts here are big tip-offs that it is an "urban legend" type email. A faliure to ID the radio program, or the interviewer. As well as the final line that the they would just go to dead air and end an interview. I've heard MUCH worse exchanges on live and recorded radio programs then a weak jab like the General Reinwald supposedly delivered. If you want to hear a really good radio fight check this one out from Fresh Air on NPR:
Terry Gross vs Gene Simmons part 1
Terry Gross vs Gene Simmons part 2
Terry Gross vs Gene Simmons part 3
Terry Gross vs Gene Simmons part 4
Old 01-17-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

These links appear to be broken... too bad because I'd love to hear this one.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:56 PM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
These links appear to be broken... too bad because I'd love to hear this one.
They worked for me. They are in wma format, so I think you need windows media player...