Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
LadyLuthien
Dungeon Master

Do most of you tend to use really fighter-heavy parties? My husband tends to, and I admit he has a much easier time with tough battles in the game than I do. Of course, I don't play for the battles, I play more for the romances and and NPC-interactons. Anyway, my husband thinks the evil party I've put together is going to have a really hard time surviving. Here is what I have:

Myrdin (My PC, a Cleric of Talos)
Viconia (romance, first time trying this one...)
Korgan
Edwin
Jan (As my thief, though I could replace him with Yoshimo)
Haer-Dalis (As much as my husband insists he sucks, I've never had him in a party and would like to keep him.)

Is this party a recipe for failure? Are there tactics that might help their survivability with only one tank character?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyLuthien:
Do most of you tend to use really fighter-heavy parties? My husband tends to, and I admit he has a much easier time with tough battles in the game than I do. Of course, I don't play for the battles, I play more for the romances and and NPC-interactons. Anyway, my husband thinks the evil party I've put together is going to have a really hard time surviving. Here is what I have:

Myrdin (My PC, a Cleric of Talos)
Viconia (romance, first time trying this one...)
Korgan
Edwin
Jan (As my thief, though I could replace him with Yoshimo)
Haer-Dalis (As much as my husband insists he sucks, I've never had him in a party and would like to keep him.)

Is this party a recipe for failure? Are there tactics that might help their survivability with only one tank character?
Do you have ToB? The expansion will greatly enhance Haer'Dalis. He is great for the NPC interactions though.

I am assuming you are playing on Core Difficulty.

Your party is spell-heavy, and thus, fights will involve massive spell barrages. Fortunately, spells are the strongest arsenal in this game. If you use them correctly.

Jan Jansen is a viable thief, and considered by many to be the best. His banter with the other NPCs can be entertaining too. As a half-Mage character, he can assist battles with spells such as Magic Missiles. He works best as a support Mage though, so that pure Mages like Edwin can cast offensive spells. Consider spells such as Greater Malison, Slow, Spook, Lower Resistance, etc... for Jan Jansen.

Haer'Dalis is a trickier one. If you want to ensure his survival on the battlefield, always remember these two spells for him. Mirror Image and Stoneskin. He will excel in flanking the enemy, picking off the weaker/weakened targets, while Korgan handles/distracts the rest.

Not much to say about Korgan really. He's a mean Dwarf, and a tough one too. Great tank material, especially with a shield.

Edwin is the numero uno Mage NPC in the game. Fill his slots with all manner of offensive spells such as Magic Missile, Melf's Acid Arrows, Flame Arrow, Emotion, Chain Lightning, etc... remember to cast Mirror Image and Stoneskin though.

Clerics are great against Undead. For evil Clerics, you get a chance to control the Undead if you are of high enough levels. Otherwise, they are great party buffers, with spells such as Remove Fear, Free Action, Chaotic Commands, etc... Sunray is an awesome spell to use against Undead, as is False Dawn. Bolt of Glory rocks against Demons.

Lastly, summoning. With that many spellcasters, it will be no problem for you to max out your summon limit of 5 at any time. Use summons such as Conjure Animals, Aerial Servants, Animate Dead( at lvl 15), Mordenkainen's Sword, Spider Spawn, etc... ...

Your party is viable. You will however need to rely more on spells.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
LadyLuthien
Dungeon Master

Oh, I do have TOB. And in every game, I've always had my spellcasters cast Stoneskin on themselves first thing upon waking up (if it's worn off), since the spell lasts quite a while.

Thanks for all the tips. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Korgan rocks as a front-line tank. You probably won't need much more.

Also, don't forget about your summons! With two clerics and a couple of mages you can easily summon enough meat shields (even if you don't resort to cheese methods) to distract your enemies while you rain down your arsenal of spells.

TOB summons (High level skeleton warriors, Mordenkainen swords, planetars, etc.) will give you plenty of fight.

[ 04-15-2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Neomi ]
Old 04-15-2004, 11:22 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyLuthien:
Oh, I do have TOB. And in every game, I've always had my spellcasters cast Stoneskin on themselves first thing upon waking up (if it's worn off), since the spell lasts quite a while.

Thanks for all the tips. [img]smile.gif[/img]
A better idea is to cast it right before resting. That way they can cast it again the next day in case of an emergency.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote