Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #11
Faceman
Hathor

I could nitpick about some minor issues of rhetorics, but I won't [img]smile.gif[/img]
It is a truly great speech.
I especially like the emphasis of hope in the last part (although it may seem cliche to some)
as I strongly believe that hope is one of the strongest emotions and probably the most essential.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #12
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I believe Edward's speech tonight will also be a good one, and one that should be uplifting, but it will be hard to match this one.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I get bored listening to politicians dribble on and never put anything on the table. They don't give us clear cut plans they want to put into place just global ideas. It would be nice to have a canidate put a plan of action together and stand on that platform for a change.
A lot of people can say what needs to be changed and can be elequent saying it, but it doesn't change the fact it still needs to be done after all the talk. I don't want to elect a talking head, I would rather elect someone who has faith in thier plans and has enough confidence in themselves to put the plan out for all to see.

Great speech but nothing new and no plans of how to do anything. I imagine the rest of the convention will go the same way, as well as, the Republican one.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I think you'll find clear-cut plans if you're willing to look, Nightwing.

HERE for instance.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Been there still to vague. There basic ideas and platforms but no plans as to how to make it happen. I know for the sake of time they need to be a figure of what they stand for. It would be nice for someone to say " I'm for this and this is how we are going to achieve it. I'm sure there is something out there to find but I would like the politicians to find the world at some point.
Good web site to get started however.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #16
Moiraine
Anubis

Light Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
And Engerland, Djinn, and I'm sure other countries as well -- but not all of Europe (France being the only one I know about where it would be an impossible story).
Nice little sentence. Elaborate please.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sure, I'll elaborate. It is my understanding that a legal immigrant or visa holder in France cannot gain access to certain jobs and benefits. There are certain jobs and positions in France that are reserved for natural-born French-folk, I am told. I did not know this until recently, and was surprised by it.

A colleague of mine works for a client of mine in France, and her work contract is up. She has explained that she cannot get anything EXCEPT contract work there because of these rules, and, accordingly she is seeking employment in the USA. She wants a job that is more than a year-to-year contract basis, but cannot get it in France. Oh, just FYI, she's an attorney.

Anyway, that's just my understanding. My point was that the USA is not the only country where an immigrant can "live the dream." My secondary point was that I am not willing to go as far as to say all first-world countries are places of such opportunity, either, because to my (limited) knowledge, some first-world countries still have rules barring immigrants from certain jobs -- France being the example I used.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I'd like to know about it.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
Been there still to vague. There basic ideas and platforms but no plans as to how to make it happen. I know for the sake of time they need to be a figure of what they stand for. It would be nice for someone to say " I'm for this and this is how we are going to achieve it.
Edwards elaborated a bit in his speech last night, if you got the chance to see it.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #19
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Errr,TL, any chance of an immigrant standing for President of the USA?

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:12 PM   #20
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I personally never watch either National Convention. At my age, I don't need any help getting to sleep at night. Besides, I find pro-rasslin to be much more entertaining - and often times more honost - than the standard line-up of speakers at either event.

However, I will note that Robert D. Raiford (on the John Boy and Billy show) did watch Barack Obama's speech and was equally impressed with it as Timber is. Coming from the normally-crusty Raiford, that is high praise indeed.