Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2003, 02:26 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Talk about being nailed to the financial cross for peace activism.

Story

Quote:
SARASOTA, Fla. — A retired schoolteacher who went to Iraq to serve as a "human shield" against the coalition invasion is facing thousands of dollars in U.S. government fines, which she is refusing to pay.

The U.S. Department of the Treasury said in a March letter to Faith Fippinger that she broke the law by crossing the Iraqi border before the war. Her travel to Iraq violated U.S. sanctions that prohibited American citizens from engaging in "virtually all direct or indirect commercial, financial or trade transactions with Iraq."

She and others from 30 countries spread out through Iraq to prevent the war. She spent about three months there. Only about 20 of nearly 300 "human shields" were Americans, she said.

Fippinger, who returned home May 4, is being fined at least $10,000, but she has refused to pay. She could face up to 12 years in prison.

In her response to the charges, she wrote the government that "if it comes to fines or imprisonment, "please be aware that I will not contribute money to the United States government to continue the buildup of its arsenal of weapons." Since she won't pay, she said, "perhaps the alternative should be considered."

The government also has asked Fippinger, 62, to detail her travels to Iraq and any financial transactions she made. In her response, Fippinger wrote that the only money she spent was on food and emergency supplies.

If Fippinger does not pay, the fine may increase, and the money will be drawn from her retirement paycheck, her Social Security check or any of her assets, officials said.

"She was (in Iraq) in violation of U.S. sanctions," said Taylor Griffin, a Treasury Department spokesman. "That's what happens."
Old 08-11-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
Grendal
Manshoon

Even in America "Free" speach isnt that free is it?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

If anyone knows this woman, send her to me. I'll do it pro bono. F**k the establishment. I support(ed) the war, but it is her right to exercise her free speech -- even by being an idiot and going to Iraq to stand in front of the US War Machine.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
If anyone knows this woman, send her to me. I'll do it pro bono. F**k the establishment. I support(ed) the war, but it is her right to exercise her free speech -- even by being an idiot and going to Iraq to stand in front of the US War Machine.
I don't think you will be the only lawyer that will make the same offer TL. What gets me is that they are fining her for trade violations with no proof yet are asking her to detail them so that they can make charges stick. Maybe this is a new trend. Homeland Security can send every citizen a questionaire asking for details of any crime you may have committed. They could then use this evidence to persecute prosecute you.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:09 AM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

Let me get this straight.
The US government can actually FORBID their citizens to go to another country?
That's like the USSR!
I understand trade sanctions and the like but not being able to go at all?
Are they fining journalists who were stationed in Iraq at that time too?
This reminds me of the "1000 Mark Sperre":
in the early 30ies when the German NSDAP could not get the Austrian fascists to support the "Anschluss" Nazis imposed a 1000 Reichsmark tax/fine on every German citizen who wanted to cross the border to Austria.

So slowly again:

I GET forbidding certain people (e.g. former Nazis) to enter your country.
I GET forbidding certain people (e.g. poeple on trial) to leave your country.
I DO NOT GET forbidding people to enter ANOTHER country.

On what legal grounds? I thought that once you leave the US your action basically do not fall under US jurisdiction.
Next thing US citizens will get speeding tickets for travelling at 100mph on the German "Autobahn" (which allows up to about 160mph) during their holidays.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:32 AM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Are they fining journalists who were stationed in Iraq at that time too?
That's a *very* good point (and grounds for her to appeal on?).

I don't agree with what's being done to this woman - it strikes me of vindictiveness that does nothing either for the Aministrations case for the Iraq war or for its general reputation.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:17 AM   #7
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

quoted from the article:
Quote:
The U.S. Department of the Treasury said in a March letter to Faith Fippinger that she broke the law by crossing the Iraqi border before the war. Her travel to Iraq violated U.S. sanctions that prohibited American citizens from engaging in "virtually all direct or indirect commercial, financial or trade transactions with Iraq."
This is the same thing that the U.S. has with Cuba. AFAIK, Going to, or buying things from Cuba is against the law for U.S. citizens, hence no cuban cigars floating around and cubans fleeing their country in rowboats instead of just getting on a plane like a normal person. If this woman broke the law then she should have to pay the penaly for it , just like everyone else. She shouldnt get a off scott free just because we dont want to see a traitor "peace activist" in jail. The law applies to all of us. Just because you have a pet cause doesnt mean you can just ignore the law.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:04 AM   #8
Skunk
Banned User

Well, what about others who have 'broken the law', like Faceman's journalists.
Should the law only be applied selectively?

The real question here is why she is being singled out when it is clear that there were *many* US citizens in Iraq, for a variety of reasons, virtually all of which are illegal (if the new definition of 'trade' is to apply).
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:38 AM   #9
Faceman
Hathor

Generally
break law -> face the consequences is smart thing

But there are some laws or ACTUALLY some interpretations of law that just do not make sense or seem even dangerous. Forbid a citizen of a free country to visit another country is a serious reduction of his civil rights and reminds me very strongly of the USSR, GDR and the whole Warsaw Pact states during Cold War.

Trade embargos are understandable but the amount of "trade" generated by a single person who just stays, eats and sleeps is ridiculous.
And what about international corporations who have offices in Iraq and still did business with Saddam? Are they guilty under US law? Will their US representatives and outlets face charges? Or did they already pay their equal 10,000 $ fine?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:19 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Americans can get visas to Cuba. My law school took a group there. Lots of Hollywood-ites venture there.