Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 11:59 AM   #1
dominions
Elminster

Hi all!

I've just been given a couple of books:
Midnight Falcon by David Gemmell & Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkin

One of my friends says that Gemmell's books are awful: EVERYONE gets killed, everything female gets violated.
Is this true? If so I won't bother with Gemmell - don't like that kind of thing.

As for Goodkin - I've read several posts on this forum and they all seem say his books are much cop.

Opinions anyone?

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironwork Gaming Forum
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 04:50 PM   #2
jabidas
Silver Dragon

You think gemell is bad for being a Pervert goodkind is as bad if not worse if you read dammit cant remember the name but the book before soul of the fire you will see the most hideous mysogynist violence in a book and his prose is awful

Gemell makes the mistake of confusing gritty realism and being painfully graphic too often but some of his books are great check out ECHOS OF THE GREAT SONG which is truly excellent

------------------
jabidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 09:08 AM   #3
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

I would definitely pick Goodkind over Gemmell. I personally find Gemmell rather boring...Goodkind spins a much better yarn, IMHO.

I guess I don't see where Jabidas finds Goodkind's Sword of Truth series misogynistic? Were you referring to Blood of the Fold???

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:06 PM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Don't start on soul of the fire. You have to buy Wizards first rule and read them in order.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 04:58 AM   #5
dominions
Elminster

I suppose what I'm asking is: are the books actually worth reading? I've got a few others to be getting on with but I'm not sure whether to just pass these two on to someone else.

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironwork Gaming Forum
Old 06-02-2001, 12:16 PM   #6
demus
Manshoon

Well, I haven't actually read Midnight Falcon, but I have read a number of other books by Gemmell (3 of the Drenai Saga, I cant find the last one, and I have also read Morningstar, for those who know anything about Gemmell's books ), and I found all of them very good reads and easy to get into, but, thats my opinion, and as I don't know what you are into I can't really say wheither or not you should read them.

I don't think I have read any books by Goodkin (but I have heard of him) and his book are supposed to be very good aswell.

After all that, my advice is that you try both of the books, and if you don't like them you could always give them to me (I live not too far away, near London )

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin and Undead Hunter of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by demus (edited 06-02-2001).]
demus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 12:28 PM   #7
dominions
Elminster

Quote:
After all that, my advice is that you try both of the books, and if you don't like them you could always give them to me
Okey Dokey, demus! I'll do that - and if they're absolutely awful I'll send them your way .

See ya

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum

[This message has been edited by dominions (edited 06-02-2001).]
Old 06-02-2001, 05:11 PM   #8
jabidas
Silver Dragon

ok most of gemells stuff is dull but Echos of the great song was excellent. I read a load of the Good kind boooks because I always have to find out how the story ends and Excuse me but SPOILER

you didnt find the bit where he has all those dark sisters raped by an entire ships crew, and that other one who was under the table for god knows how many months giving him a blowjobs a little bit stupid
that and all the other scenes of rape in the books a little against women
ok how about in the newest book the scene with jagang and nicci just a litle perhaps
The 2 charecters i like in the books by the way are nicci and cara Richard and Kahalan make me want to be sick

------------------
Old 06-02-2001, 05:34 PM   #9
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:

The 2 charecters i like in the books by the way are nicci and cara Richard and Kahalan make me want to be sick

Got to agree with this - Goodkind is kinda stodgy sometimes, but the Mord Sith are a great invention.

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 05:58 PM   #10
jabidas
Silver Dragon

ANd he didnt rip off their outfit from that Britney spears video oh no not at all(it was just a video there was no song there was no song britney dosnt sing just a white noise ignore it)

------------------