Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
God I hate the whole Shoal the Nereid encounter. It forces me to use advance knowledge to be able to do it. I hate the idea that if your character is the "party spokesman" (which he usually is in my parties) the game punishes you for it by killing your character and forcing you to reload. Thus, you have to send someone else to talk to her just to get through the quest. I just find the whole thing to be such a stupid idea.
[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Sorry, just had to get that off of my chest...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
I have to agree. Who sends another nPC to speak to people? I never did, until that encounter.
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

yeh it does suck! If you were doing a solo no-reloads run and it slipped your mind it would also suck too.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yeah it sucks big time. But life does. Live with it.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

What I hate about this encounter is the fact that I'm always too tempted to kill Shoal on sight with the aid of Kivan, Imoen and some fancy arrows between them, since this nets you 5000xp and a level up for nearly everyone in the party. It's much quicker and easier than playing out the scene ordinarily, but it sucks from a roleplaying perspective, so I'm always in two minds about it.
Arledrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
What I hate about this encounter is the fact that I'm always too tempted to kill Shoal on sight with the aid of Kivan, Imoen and some fancy arrows between them, since this nets you 5000xp and a level up for nearly everyone in the party. It's much quicker and easier than playing out the scene ordinarily, but it sucks from a roleplaying perspective, so I'm always in two minds about it.
Actually, this last time through with a chaotic neutral character, I ended up doing both (freeing her, the killing her before she got away). I had knocked her down to near death before she talked again, so a few hits and she was gone. Justification? It felt right to free her (don't like people enslaved), but I owed her big time for killing my friend (even if she did bring him back). In truth, the encounter ticked me off so much I just wasted her out of spite... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #7
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Nerull: That's the way to be!! God, negativity in video games is fun!
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:51 AM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
What I hate about this encounter is the fact that I'm always too tempted to kill Shoal on sight . . . but it sucks from a roleplaying perspective, so I'm always in two minds about it.
i don't know about that - you do exactly the same to the sirines if you sneak up on them and they look pretty similar - actually the whole red circle thing is a bit of a stretch role-playing wise thinking about it (unless your role is an unstoppable monsterphobic killing machine that's easily distracted from what he or she is supposed to be doing)
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Hmm... It's also unrealistic, tole-playing wise, to have sirines walking around all over land and attacking you on sight, without warning or provocation.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote