Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've a boss who likes to include the words "Can you please process quickly in his emails, and that usually gears me up to get the job done within the day (preferably in 4 hours). But then, when I have squeezed every ounce of brainpower out to send the work to him (and it could be as early as a Tuesday)... he responds only on Saturday or Sunday evenings! So what was all that rushing for, I wonder? (The only reason I can think of is, to get him off my back)

Then, there are the almost endless comments and questions he has. It has been really challenging to "process quickly" something which requires inputs from external parties, who tend to take their time responding to something they do not regard as high-priority.

I suppose I still have not learnt to fully adapt to his working style without getting so uptight about it, but at least, I have now learnt to take his instructions with a pinch of salt and not lose precious sleep over them [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just wanted to know if any of you have had any interesting experiences or good advice to share.

THANK GOODNESS IT'S FRIDAY!!! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Nuts !!!

Tell him that.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
mistral4543

Oh yes, further to the above...

He has a tendency to send emails before clearing his email account. So what happens is, that when he assigns the task to me on a Monday and I respond on Tuesday... he starts asking "What is status of this? on Wednesday I then point out to him on Wednesday that I sent him something on Tuesday... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ... and he finally responds to both mails on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Needless to say, his former staff have gone through his idiosyncracies and rejoiced when there was a major reorg in the company (which saw me being shovelled to his leadership).
Old 07-17-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
mistral4543

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Nuts !!!

Tell him that.
You have no idea how tempted I am to do that [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Oh no! Is he watching me?? [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Nuts !!!

Tell him that.
You have no idea how tempted I am to do that [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Oh no! Is he watching me?? [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Well, the word is very famous. You could even make a good impression on your boss by showing you know historical facts.

Then again, you could also get sacked.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Actually, three things at my work (insurance collections):

• They constantly tell us they trust us, yet are always telling us exactly how they want us to do everything (offer a discount here, call this many times there, etc.). They also monitor us like crazy, and pass tons of new restrictions weekly (new more restrictive dress codes, etc.).
  • They tell us they want us to concentrate on bringing in as much money as possible. Thus, we tend to focus on the higher dollar accounts, at the expense of the lower dollar accounts. It takes longer on the higher dollar accounts (insurance will come up with any excuse not to pay them, and it is always a longer fight to work those accounts). Yet, we are expected to hit a certain number of accounts per day (getting chewed out if you don't get your "quota" in number of accounts worked), and they also come back and criticize us that we have too many lower dollar accounts sitting out there.
  • They talk to us about teamwork and keeping a positive attitude, but they do all kinds of underhanded stuff involving the employees. For example, one of the workers gave her 2 weeks notice today, to take a higher paying position at another facility. They booted her out on the spot (i.e. "no need for a notice"), then within the hour had a meeting telling us the following: that worker decided not to stick around (i.e. she made the choice to leave on her own), not to gossip or believe gossip, and finally that the "grass is not always greener on the other side" (i.e. this is a good job, regardless of what you think).
I actually put up with it because it is a decent paying job in a bad U.S. economy, with solid benefits. I am also looked at as the best worker in the department; I just come in and work my 8 hours as well as I can (i.e. don't talk to anyone, not that I like many of the people there anyway). I may not be the most popular, but they actually come back and kiss my butt a little bit, since they know they will be up the creek without a paddle if I left. They may never say it, but it is kind of cool having that little bit of power among the slaves... [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 07-18-2003, 02:42 AM   #7
Jan

"Nuts !!!

Tell him that."

I wouldn't mind telling my boss alot more than that. He's a retard.