Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 01:20 PM   #1
Sio

Whats happened to the good games? the ones that made you feel something, or even remotly intrested in them, it feels as if gameplay is just been substituted for graphics now, I went back to EQ a few days ago and I barely recognize it, theres no comradeship or even fun, everyones just serious and rude and powe gaming to the high end game, ive tried mnay games recently and not one has grabbed me like EQ did when I first started playing it, or the old UO days, or Final Fantasy 7, no emotion am I getting from playing these games which is slowly makign it a chore to play them, does nay oen have any good reccomendations of a great game that will get something out of me, or indeed me get somethign out of it
Old 10-15-2002, 01:25 PM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
Whats happened to the good games? the ones that made you feel something, or even remotly intrested in them, it feels as if gameplay is just been substituted for graphics now, I went back to EQ a few days ago and I barely recognize it, theres no comradeship or even fun, everyones just serious and rude and powe gaming to the high end game, ive tried mnay games recently and not one has grabbed me like EQ did when I first started playing it, or the old UO days, or Final Fantasy 7, no emotion am I getting from playing these games which is slowly makign it a chore to play them, does nay oen have any good reccomendations of a great game that will get something out of me, or indeed me get somethign out of it
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Brothers
Super Monkey Ball

Play these games and watch as hours of your life slip away without you noticing...

Think quality gaming...think Gamecube
Old 10-16-2002, 11:01 AM   #3
Finn
The Magister

I understand exactly what you mean Sio. Nowadays, games look great with state of the art 3D graphics/sounds etc. but not many have that extra "thing" that makes you feel for the characters. Back in the days of the Ultima series by Origin Systems, games like Ultima 7 really had me hooked. There was this sense of rapport and comradarie between the player and the other NPCs that I have yet to re-experience with the new game titles out there. Even Baldur's Gate 2 can't even come close IMHO.

If you haven't played the game already and if you don't mind the dated graphics(circa early to mid 90's), lack of any 3D engine whatsoever, simple midi sound/music, then I would recommend this game. Its not exactly the greatest game ever created and it may not exactly be your cup of tea but it has the elements that you mentioned in your post. Finding the game would be a little tricky though. It'll most likely be bundled under some "classic games" package in a bargain bin somewhere. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were fabulous, Planescape: Torment has the most moving plot I've seen in a long time, once you get out of the beginning area it is really good. I haven't played many other games that really grabbed me recently though.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:22 PM   #5
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

ever since the first EQ expansion, it turned into a powergamers game with ever more elite items/levels to be gotten, and ever more powerful mobs to kill.

The roleplayers left it for the most part because in a game like this, there isnt a whole lot for them to do. There is a roleplaying server, but that has for the most part powergamers who arent as powergamy as the other servers populations.

Baldurs gate 2 and planescape torment are imo the best roleplaying games EVER
Baldurs gate ToB was more of a powergamers conclusion to the epic saga, i much preferred the old games way. (it seems programmers lack the creativity they used to have)
Old 10-16-2002, 04:32 PM   #6
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

it's hard to make a mmorpg that doesn't eventually lead to massive powergaming. Few people play them within the confines of thier class or race. I played ao and had fun but really couldn't even get into it until you had leveled quite a bit. I played as a martial artist but unless you go with a group of dedicated rpers it's difficult to get people who really roleplay.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:22 AM   #7
Finn
The Magister

I agree, without a decent roleplaying element, theres nothing much left to be done in a MMORPG except leveling up the character and obtaining better weapons and armour or in UO:3D's case, save up enough to buy a house. PvP is just too prevelent especially cases where high level players(power gamers) gang up on unsuspecting newbies. This just turns people away.

One can't even carry a decent conversation with the other Role Players without being harrassed.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:48 AM   #8
Sio

UO in the early days was absolutley amazing! there wa s alot of roleplaying going on and lots of friendliness, now its became a big chat room with macroing.
EQ is good but people are willing to walk all over other people and chet toher people for the sake of an item ot a few exp points, it seems that its onyl 12 year olds who have just learnt to swear who are playing them. Im willing to give EQ a go through but I am not too sure if i'll stay very long, gonna get BG2 expansion at the weekend and start playing that
Old 10-17-2002, 05:14 AM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Finn:
I understand exactly what you mean Sio. Nowadays, games look great with state of the art 3D graphics/sounds etc. but not many have that extra "thing" that makes you feel for the characters. Back in the days of the Ultima series by Origin Systems, games like Ultima 7 really had me hooked. There was this sense of rapport and comradarie between the player and the other NPCs that I have yet to re-experience with the new game titles out there. Even Baldur's Gate 2 can't even come close IMHO.

If you haven't played the game already and if you don't mind the dated graphics(circa early to mid 90's), lack of any 3D engine whatsoever, simple midi sound/music, then I would recommend this game. Its not exactly the greatest game ever created and it may not exactly be your cup of tea but it has the elements that you mentioned in your post. Finding the game would be a little tricky though. It'll most likely be bundled under some "classic games" package in a bargain bin somewhere. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Finn, in one post you've won my eternal respect for your inherant good taste and sophistication I'm a Ultima 7 man for life! heh heh. Seriously, in the decade since it was released I havn't found a game to come close to rivalling it for thematic depth, characterization, maturity and all-round role-playing goodness. Part one (The Black Gate) was better in my opinion, winning a 9.9 out of 10, wheras part two (Serpent Isle) merely scores a measly 9.8 in my books [img]smile.gif[/img] Racial segregation, religious extremism, ancient mysticism, cataclysmic armageddon, the rise of corporate callousness over traditional honour, virtue and chivalry. U7 has it all! And now that U7WinX has been released it is playable under windows! Can I get a hellelujah???

Sio- for recent games worth playing I'd recommend Icewind Dale 2. I'm a fair way into it now and it hasn't disappointed me yet as far as role playing goodness goes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:32 AM   #10
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

I know what you're feeling I got the same reaction to NWN. Vampire: The Masquarade and Deus Ex are my favourite RPGs, dunno if you'd like them though.