Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
Mower Man
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay so I enjoyed IWD and got som ekiller PCs, now I go to HOW and my party is getting trashed on this undead island at the beginning. Is it just me or is this game not balanced?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Its dissicult to say unless you tell us what party you have and what level it is.... give more details

and...

Welcome to the board [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

As soon as you get to the island you are going to have to buff. If you don't have a cleric that turns undead, or can cast undead ward you will have a hard time. However a mage that has buff spells like haste should get you through the battles, other battles on the island may require tactics that use the landscape. The Island isn't a simple hack and slash. A druid that can turn into a water or earth elemental can handle the drowned dead himself while other members attack from afar. What level is your party at and how much of the original game did you do? HoW is suppose to be much harder than IWD. The game is not unbalanced you are just going to find different tactics to use against the creatures in HoW. It would be easier to help if we know the party, and levels.

[ 11-03-2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:02 AM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Mower Man,

As ZFR said: Welcome!

HoW is HARD! It was meant to present a challenge to the parties, and the players that direct them, who had successfully completed IWD. After your initial reaction of, "How in the world will I ever do this?" passes, you start thinking of ALL the tools and tricks you have at your disposal... and then you need to think up some new ones!. As pritchke intimated, HoW (especially Burial Isle) forces you to THINK. Also, again as pritchke says, you need to buff your party.

(slight Burial Isle spoiler coming)

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Hopefully you have high-level cleric skills represented in your party (hint). In my opinion, the very first encounter on B.I. is by far the toughest to strategize your way out of, until you dive underground. Even underground, I think the toughest battle is not much harder than that first one you get into when you hit the Isle. And I found B.I., in general, to be the toughest area of HoW.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-04-2003, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
Mower Man
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey guys thanks for the reponses so far.

My party:

2 fighters
1 fighter/thief
1 clearic
2 mages

All around level 10.

One thing that annoys me is that there should be previous monsters (lower level) that you can "sweep" through once in a while just to reaffirm that your party is kick-ass.

Is the entire add-on this tuff?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Mower Man,

No, it is not all as hard as the first few fights on Burial Isle: There are much easier parts. However, there is no part of Burial Isle that you will just sweep through (unless your party is much more K.A. then mine was). And the easy parts, in HoW are fewer and farther in between then in IWD.

Save often.

Edit: I just realized that your party is all around level 10. This is NOT, I repeat, NOT K.A. for HoW! Your party should average at least level 12.

How far had you progressed in IWD when you entered HoW? Judging by your party's level, my guess is that you did not complete the first part of Dorn's Deep, or did not complete quests, or something like that.

I did all the fights and completed every quest possible before confronting RBP. Then, just before entering RBP's chamber, went back to Kuldahar and started HoW. My party's experience averaged about the equivalent of single class 13 going into HoW (though everyone except the Bard was dual- or multi-class). Here is, VERY roughly, the experience level of my party going into HoW:

Dual Class: Ranger 10 --> Cleric 12
Dual Class: Cleric 10 --> Fighter 12
Dual Class: Fighter 10 --> Druid 12
Dual Class: Fighter 9 --> Thief 12
Bard 14
MultiClass: Illusionist 10 / Thief 12

I don't know how you can manage some of these fights with a party of single class level 10 characters. You will certainly qualify for bragging rights in my book if you pull it off! My advice is to complete more of IWD before taking on HoW (unless you are willing to endure the pain in HoW, and want your party to be REALLY K.A. when you get back to IWD!).

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-04-2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 11-04-2003, 10:11 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

yup, Burial Island is the most difficult part of HoW, after that things will become easier a bit..

I used turn undead and web/entangle and once the turned monsters are trapped i would cast druidic area spells on them. Since you dont have a druid you can try mage area spells though some of them (eg Cloudkill) dont affect them. when using ranged weapons, slings are generally best since many undead are immune to piercing damage.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
Mower Man
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmm, I have yet to see Turn Undead do much generally, and it does nothing on this Isle. Entagling spells seem to work though.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Mower Man:
Hmm, I have yet to see Turn Undead do much generally, and it does nothing on this Isle. Entagling spells seem to work though.
Here is a trick with "Undead ward" and at level 10 you should have 2 slots for this spell. To me, this is the best spell to use on the island. Cast it and place your priest in the center of the ward and have her turn undead. Remember if she takes other actions other than walking she will stop turning undead. Have one of your guys lure the undead towards the ward. The ward actually boost your priest turn undead ability so even the tough drowned dead shoud be destroyed as thay touch the ward (for the ones that survive have your fighters keep them off your priest.). Positioning for this spell is important as it does not last for ever and most undead are slow with the exception of barrow wights. Usually I cast it just out of sight of the undead before luring them in.

[ 11-04-2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

(Slight Burial Isle spoiler after Mower Man's quote)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mower Man:
Hmm, I have yet to see Turn Undead do much generally, and it does nothing on this Isle.
That could very easily be because your Cleric is not high enough level. I never used it before B.I either; but found my level 12 Cleric's "Turn Undead" skill to be THE most valuable skill in the party for some of these fights, including the first one on B.I. and any other fight that included more than one Drowned Dead. If your 3 level-10 melee artists are facing off with 9 B.I. wights ---> bad news. If your Cleric forces 3 of them to turn tail and run, and your mage can catch another 2 with an entangle, well life all of a sudden looks... obtainable.

[ 11-04-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]