Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Anyone here playing this ? I heard a lot of talk about it so i decided to join up and make an account, but for some reason the server wasn't very trustworthy when i did, so i haven't gotten any further than making some rearrangements in my characters outfit, so i'm not comfortable with how everything works yet. I heard a lot of goofy stuff from my brother though, things that go down in some of the clubs in SL, so i thought i'd go and see or myself.

If you have an account, who are you and what's your favourite spot to hang out ?

For those among us who haven't got a clue what i'm talking about, here's a link.... http://www.secondlife.com/
Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, Second Life is basically a 3D chat room with crappy graphics where you can pay for virtual penises or property with real money.

Mostly it's inhabited by furries and their various perversions.

Check out Something Awful's "Second Life Safari" feature if you want all the disgusting details.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

I saw some screenshots and they stunk so bad I couldn't imagine why ANYONE would bother with the game.

Big pyramid scheme if you ask me.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah, it's a 3d chat but you can use real money to buy a virtual lot and you can use script to animate this, so basically all the weird messed up people with creepy fetishes hang up there. Furries, pedophilia etc. Thye're all there.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Yeah, my bro already told me there's a lot of freaks running around, but you don't necessarily have to get involved with those, there's plenty of clubs where people are banned the minute they start acting weird or freaky. My brother is trying to become a deejay in a club, i don't see anything freaky in such a thing. It's indeed a virtual chatroom, so just like in the chatrooms we are used to, there's all sorts of pervs hanging out looking for a target, but like i said, it's easy to ignore them. The clue is not to take anything what goes on inthere too serious, unfortunately not everyone realizes that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And the graphics may be crappy at the moment, but they are working really hard to make improvements, i think this is going to be really big.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

There's also the fact that the whole thing is almost completely security free, people routinely bring down entire sectors just for kicks by using self-replicating devices.

Oh, and let's not forget the shoddy administration. For starters, there's the fact that they lie about their subscription numbers, they report every single person who's ever signed up as how many active they have, while the actual number is maybe 10% that.

The idea may not be too bad, really, but the fact is that the engine is lousy, the security is bad, the administrators need to be replaced, the whole thing is ugly and it's already been swarmed by far too many freaks.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Sounds like you have plenty of experience. I'm just starting with this, stop discouriging me.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

You do know virtual beer won't get you drunk, right?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Neither does real beer for that matter. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

So online forums like Ironworks are one thing... they're focused at folks who have interest in a fairly esoteric area, one that's not going to have a lot of local people with the same interest available.

Generic "Chat" forums like an "online bar" however... they make no sense to me. I have not been a big barfly for a decade or so (when I was last in the "market" so to speak), but I'm fairly certain that my odds of hooking up would always be much better at a REAL bar as opposed to a virtual one. So if I were (Dog FORBID!) single again for some reason, I do not envision myself spending much time in "Second Life" spending REAL money cruising for VIRTUAL babes... when I could be spending that time in "First Life" spending real money... meeting REAL women.

I'm a total Computer Nerd and even I just don't get it.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote