Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 04:51 AM   #21
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Windows XP is the best thing that ever happened to me, one of them anyway. I haven't had a single lock-up in years since I got it, whereas Win 98 used to crash every third hour or so. And I think it's amazing how it completely automatically handles installation of new components and connects you to the internet. Just today my brother came home with his HD and wanted to transfer a few files so he could burn them, just plug the HD in and XP found it immediately, no fuss what so ever. Imagine doing that with Win 98! Same thing with motherboards, memories and processors, XP deals with it so smoothly it aint real. Of course it doesn't always have the best drivers, but it's enough to get you going.

Best damn OS I've ever used, and that includes Linux and MacOS.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:00 AM   #22
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sorry to say it bud, but I use XP and like it quite well. I have no problems with it either. I bought my PC last may with XP already on it. It doesn't sound to me like a OS problem, more like hardware malfunctions. Good luck anyway, hope you get it solved.
And please don't shoot Bill. I am one of the few who are grateful for his strides in manufacturing OS's, being a PC user. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 AM   #23
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I use two machines that have XP Upgraded from 98... both run perfectly. Only two problems we`ve had with these machines are spyware (probably from popups), and *one* game not working, that didn`t work on my ME laptop either.
Plug-and-Play drivers have worked fine for: 2 moniters, 2 keyboards, 2 mouses, a scanner, a printer, 2 sets of speakers, all of the onboard stuff, and a dialup modem. The sattelite modem had to be given different drivers, because it didn`t plug-and-play, but it came with a CD... ok, the sattelite didn`t work at all for the first couple of days (no signal recieved), but that was Telstra`s fault - they gave us the details for the *wrong* sattelite to hook into...
Old 04-15-2003, 05:54 AM   #24
GokuZool
Lord Ao

By the sounds of it, I'm lucky I haven't upgraded.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:15 AM   #25
wellard
Dracolisk

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Sorry to say it bud, but I use XP and like it quite well. I have no problems with it either. I bought my PC last may with XP already on it. It doesn't sound to me like a OS problem, more like hardware malfunctions. Good luck anyway, hope you get it solved.
And please don't shoot Bill. I am one of the few who are grateful for his strides in manufacturing OS's, being a PC user. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
I was wondering WHO to shoot Lord K [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

win ME was working fine so why did I succumb to the latest upgrade pressure Actually I'm sure XP will be fine. My wife loves the different settings option. But what is annoying the hell out of me is the BG2 game. Every time I load it has a catastrophic failure between 17% and 25% loaded on the first disc or a message about the cab file not matching data !!!. Sure the disc has a minor scratch but it used to load ok before the upgrade, with the same scratch. other discs are not loading right Like a Bootleg *shame* version of flight simulator that definitely does not have a scratch. It still burns cd's ok too.

Overall there has been to many small things go wrong all at once. Individually none would point the finger at XP but overall

Will try a full reformat tonight.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 AM   #26
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
Give your head a shake - Linux owns XP.

Can you get the source to XP? Can you customize the kernel of XP? Is XP as stable as Linux? (resounding NO to all of these...)
Old 04-15-2003, 08:13 AM   #27
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
Give your head a shake - Linux owns XP.

Can you get the source to XP? Can you customize the kernel of XP? Is XP as stable as Linux? (resounding NO to all of these...)
[/QUOTE]Don't really care about the source code or customizing options. With zero crashes in nearly two years, XP is stable enough for me [img]smile.gif[/img]