Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #1
Jarlax
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Im thinking of playing with core rules because I found BG1 quite easy and it bothered me a bit. I dont know if BG2 is harder. How do core rules change the game, thanks?
Jarlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Going by cole rules means that your hit point rolls are not always maximum (as is the case in BG I) that spells are not necessarily learned automatically and that characters can die permanently (ie, the people in your party do not just go grey when killed - their portraits completely disappear). These are the only differences I believe
Old 01-09-2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Sir Michael
Manshoon

Also, in normal mode, monsters only do 3/4 of their usual damage. In Core Rules, characters only disappear if "chunked," (final blow was way over remaining HP), or disintegrated. If they just die, their portrait is greyed out and they can be raised or resurrected. Note that characters will be removed from the party and seem to disappear when they are turned to stone...they can be turned back to flesh by spell or scroll, and you can talk to them to get them to rejoin the group.
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Sir Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:50 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

That's the one thing I hate most about the BG series--spells or attacks that are SO deadly they become a near-insurmountable obstacle. Like Disintegration--you cast it on them, so what. You were going to kill them anyway, you just killed them a little faster, that's all. But when THEY cast it on YOU, you've lost a party member and MUST reload.

To clarify, BG1 does NOT use 'Normal,' it uses Core Rules. You can get lousy hitpoint rolls, get party members dis-membered (sorry about the pun) and fail to scribe a scroll, even if your Chance to Learn Spell is 95%. Of course, you can always Reload if you want, and try it again with different results.