Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2003, 07:43 AM   #1
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

I'm starting a new Half Elf Ranger character to try out the SOU Arcane Archer class.

what stats are advised?
I want to be able to cast spells to some extent so my wisdom is gonig to be high, yet i want to be excellent at archery, thus my dexterity is going to be high, and then i also want to be able to withstand some melee fighting....so...

Should i get Zen ARchery? meaning that i can use Wisdom to guide my arrows rather than dexterity?
Any other help or ideas?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If you're going to use the ranger as the base build for an arcane archer, here are some things to remember.

1) you MUST be able to cast ARCANE spells. That means a level of wizard or bard. I definitely recommend wizard (favoured class of elves so no xp penalty). That means you need an intelligence of 11 minimum, boost this to 12 for the extra skill point.

2) If you take all 10 arcane archer levels, plus the one level of wizard, you can only take 9 levels of ranger. That means ONE first level spell without bonuses. ONE! Don't burn a lot of points in wisdom. A wisdom of 12 seems sufficient - that will give you a bonus first level spell.

3) Max out your dex! Boost this to 18 at the start.

4) Take the weapon finesse feat. It lets you use your dex instead of strength for attacks. [img]smile.gif[/img] You're going to be wearing light armor, so strength is less critical.

I would recommend this build:

Strength = 8 + 4 points = 12
Dexterity = 8 + 10 points = 16 + elf bonus 2 = 18
Constitution = 8 + 6 points = 14 - elf penalty = 12 (an extra hp per level and +1 to fortitude saves)
Intelligence = 8 + 4 points = 12 ( an extra skill point every level plus one bonus first level spell)
Wisdom = 8 + 4 points = 12 (bonus first level spell; +1 to will saves)
Charisma = 8 + 2 points = 10 (no charisma penalty for animal empathy)

I would put 4 of the stat points for levelling into dex. [img]smile.gif[/img] Put the last one where you think it will do the most good. Charisma is one option.

Then for feats take these:
level 1 = point blank shot
level 3 = rapid shot
level 6 = weapon focus: longbow
level 9 = weapon finesse OR improved critical: longbow

Then add these at higher levels:

level 12 = weapon finesse or improved critical: longbow
level 15 = weapon focus: rapier
level 18 = imrpoved critical: rapier

You will get trackless step, dual wield, favoured enemy, improved two weapon fighting and an animal companion for free as a ranger.

For skills, I would focus on set traps for starters. The rest you can choose depending on what you want your character to look like.

You can build an identical character using a fighter as a base - you get more feats but less skill points for the character.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #3
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Thanks...that was all i needed...
Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Actually...one question...what is arcane? HAS TO BE A WIZARD OR BARD! WHAT A WASTE!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer

Actually it could be a Sorceror as well, which might work with the ranger given that both use charisma to a certain degree.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 07-18-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Its says that Weapon Finesse is used automatically when using only a selected number of weapons...which does not include the longbow...

Argh...is this correct?

If so then i'm trying to use the longbow most, so....it would be pointless for that feat..
Old 07-19-2003, 05:56 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer

You always get your dex bonuses to hit with the longbow, but the point of the weapon finesse feat was to get the bonuses for the rapier and have some melee capability. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you want to stick solely with the bow, then you can always drop weapon finesse, weapon focus rapier and improved critical rapier and replace those three feats with three others. Remember that some monsters may be immune to piercing type damage, so you want a fall back. [img]smile.gif[/img] I like rapiers because of the improved critical hit range. [img]smile.gif[/img] The downside is that rapiers are also piercing weapons. In retrospect, Scimitars would be a better alternative as they have the same critical hit range, do the same damage as rapiers but do slashing damage instead of piercing. Clubs or light maces would be other possibilities as they are light weight and do bludgeoning damaging - but their critical hit range isn't as good.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Okay, a problem...

i Have reached the requirements of the Arcane Archer:

Arcane casting,
Point Blank Feat
Focus Longbow
Half-Elf

But I still can't choose the Arcane Archer Class...i am level 3/4, 2/3 in fighter and 1 in wizard. Do i need have more levels to become an Arcane Archer?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:03 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

in order to be Arcane Archer yoh must be an ELF or a HALF ELF nothing else will work!!
first thing you really need to start your character at level 1 mage which nwill give you the ability to cast level 1 arcane spells, then the next 9 levels as a ranger and make sure you have for start feat:

all Feats below must be by the time you are or before 9th level Ranger!!!

#1 Point blank shot
#2 Rapid shot
#3 weaopn focus=Longbow
#4 weapon finess=longbow or improved critical=longbow
#5 dexterity has to be above 19
#6 start your character as level one Mage with stats listed below!!!

Strength = 12
Dexterity = 16 + elf bonus 2 = 18
Constitution = 14 - elf penalty = 12 (an extra hp per level and +1 to fortitude saves)
Intelligence = 12 ( an extra skill point every level plus one bonus first level spell)
Wisdom = 12 (bonus first level spell; +1 to will saves)
Charisma = 10 (no charisma penalty for animal empathy)

After the start, every time you get the chance to raise your stats put all points into DEXTERITY!!!!!!!!!

My Arcane Archer has a dexterity of 28 to 31 now with armor and rings added (base is 21)

Now you have a character that is= mage 1/Ranger 9, and as long as you followed the stats and feats above you will be able to click on Arcane Archer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to make Arcane Archer work, follow list below!!! :
remember to place all stats in Dexterity from now on the closer to 30 dexterity is the more powerful he is. will need med armor with dex 8 when you find it

Feats: at second level of Arcane Archer(or 12th level actual)you will start adding feats again (feats are added every three levels after this)

#1 Level 12=weapon finesse:Longbow or Improved Critical:Longbow (which ever you didn't use above on #4)
#2 level 15=Weapon Focus:rapier
#3 level 18=improved critical:rapier

Finally you can add 1 point to carisma or constitution if you want

If you followed the instructions above you will have a force to recon with.
Remember this You are not a tank you're an Arcane Archer so when the bad guys get too close run like hell. You will be able to take anything out at a distance and small numbers of mid to high level characters with your Rapier but your main power is your LongBow so get the best and most powerful Longbow you can find.
also I found that if you dont use mage or Bard at the first level your chance of getting Arcane Archer befor 15th level is very low.

[ 07-20-2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: TheCrimsomBlade ]
Old 07-20-2003, 04:20 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowolf03:
Okay, a problem...

i Have reached the requirements of the Arcane Archer:

Arcane casting,
Point Blank Feat
Focus Longbow
Half-Elf

But I still can't choose the Arcane Archer Class...i am level 3/4, 2/3 in fighter and 1 in wizard. Do i need have more levels to become an Arcane Archer?
Your unmodified Base attack bonus needs to be 6 IIRC. (cant find my manual) I think level 6 fighter/level 1 wizard will do it . Look on your character sheet under Base attack bonus or BAB for short.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote