Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2002, 10:10 PM   #1
hermit09
Dungeon Master

Hey.

I was looking over a couple Ren and Stimpy sites a few minutes ago,(I used to like that show, even if it got a bit too gross at times) and I noticed something funny:

You know that line Minsc says in BG2? "You will not teach my hamster to suck eggs!"

In BG1, Xzar, the insane Zentharim necromancer, has the following line: "I will teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"

I think Minsc´s line is in response to Xzars´. However:

Do any of you remember the song "Happy happy, joy, joy" from the Ren and Stimpy show?

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY
Hello, boys and girls, this is your old pal Stinky Wizzleteats. This is a song
about a whale - no! This is a song about being happy. That's right! It's the
Happy Happy Joy Joy song!
Happy Happy Joy Joy (6x)
Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy
I don't think you're happy enough. That's right! I'll teach you to be happy.
I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs.
Happy Happy Joy Joy (6x)
Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy
If you ain't the granddaddy of all liars. The little critters of nature they
don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny! A fly marrying a bumblebee. I
told you I'd shoot! But you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?
Happy Happy Joy Joy (6x)
Happy Happy Happy Happy (2x)
Happy Happy Joy Joy Joy

So Xzar´s line is a reference to the "happy, happy, joy, joy" song. Anybody else notice that?
Old 06-26-2002, 11:10 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hm...well, "teach your grandmother to suck eggs" has been an old folk saying for many a century, dating back to the medieval serf period in Europe, so I think "happy happy joy joy" used it there. However, the folks at Bioware may have been inspired by the Ren and Stimpy usage of the phrase, so you may be right as well.

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 11:12 PM   #3
robohobodude
The Magister

lol it's interesting..... i was actually wondering about that too
Old 06-27-2002, 08:08 AM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

in the hobbit, during the riddle contest Gollum recalls a time when he taught his grandmother to suck eggs, just one more reference for the phrase.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:14 PM   #5
hermit09
Dungeon Master

"Hm...well, "teach your grandmother to suck eggs" has been an old folk saying for many a century, dating back to the medieval serf period in Europe"

Uh... not in Mexico. But hey, you´re probably right. You learn something new every day. And then again, they might have got it from the Hobbit, like Morgeraut said. Although judging from Xzars´ personality, I feel inclined to say they got it from Ren and Stimpy...
Old 06-29-2002, 05:00 AM   #6
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I still cant understand why the PC would want to teach boo to suck eggs [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 06:33 AM   #7
The Jabberwocky
The Magister

LOL!!! I was thinking, if Minsc responded to Xzar's line in from BG1 in BG2 ... Man, Minsc needs to speed up his reflexes.