Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 11:03 PM   #11
turbovee
Elminster

Slacker, chin up dude. Believe me I have had some horrible periods in my time, but it is what makes us stronger and wiser. the only thing you can do is take this as a learning tool. My best wishes of luck to you in the future my friend.

------------------

The sexiest elf mage in the land, under the loyal service of Moni, Sazerac and the Storm Queen
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Deagurth
Old 05-15-2001, 11:20 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Slackerboy,

Well, what can I say? I'm damned sorry you're going through this mess. If it's any consolation, such messes are rarely permanent...as long as you have your health, you're okay, man. Things WILL get better.

Along Cloudy's suggestions...you have any friends around that could come over and help you out with the cleaning? The bit with the cats really sucks...it's bad enough when they're your own, but when they're someone else's and they leave them there, well that really bites.

Also: it won't help you now, but later when you've pulled yourself together a bit, check with your bank and see if they offer "overdraft protection." It can really help in emergency situations such as yours.

Don't holler 'till you're hit...that is, if you still have a job, don't fret about losing it. Worry will get you nowhere. Be poised if something should happen, but you have enough real things to concern yourself with right now without adding a possibility to the plate.

Maybe check with some used furniture places after your next paycheck and see if you can come up with a secondhand bed that still functions well...or check to see if anyone you know is moving and wants to get rid of their bed. (I did that years ago when I was in college...got a bed for free off someone who was moving. It lasted me 12 years. ) This is not the time to be proud...whatever works, get it!

My heart's out to you. I hope everything settles down for you again soon, and that you'll be back on top again.

Old 05-15-2001, 11:27 PM   #13
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Slacker, friend and bro...

Sorry to hear what's going on...

and, yes, troubles are bastards, they tend to gang up on us. As has already been mentioned, these things are temporary.

One thing I can say with certainty is that you are going to get through this. It's easy to see your intelligence, insight, and sense-of-humor in your posts. All of these things will do well for you in this time of trouble.

Speaking from experience, prior AND present, you will find ways. There have already been some good suggestions posted, so I won't bore you with mine.

When you get past this, we'll laugh and share ramen-noodle recipes (I know a bunch) and laugh about the past and dream about the future.

Keep posting, and sharing, with us all.

Your BrotherDawg

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
Old 05-16-2001, 01:05 AM   #14
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Geez... That is not good at all.
Can't say much, but I read what you said, because I was interested, and I hope that means something to you.
After reading that, I shall endeaver not to complain about my life for a week!

Even if there is not much to smile about, try and keep positive, it might just help a bit.

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 05-16-2001, 01:13 AM   #15
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

thanks guys.

now that i've dumped all the bad stuff. i should post the positive side.
just to even it out.

yeah it sucks to have your girlfriend leave. but, its for the best. the relationship had been going south for awhile. we will both be happier now.

she took the bed, but at least i had the sleeper sofa, so iwasnt totaly screwed.
and i have already put a deposit on a new matress set. i do still have a steady income so far (your right Sazerac).

i'm borrowing my Mom's car, she's gonna be in the hospital for a few days. she had surgery. she's fine . but i'll beable to go look for a car tomorrow. the bank should probably lend me the money even though the loan hasnt been paid yet. i have documentation to show that it will be paid by the insurance company (who will be getting a very friendly call tomorrow.

i'm gonna get my brothers vacum cleaner. he moved in with my parents again so he doesnt need it. (i need to remember to call my parents when i need help, or even when i dont. idont call them enough)

i got to looking at the pipe. i think i can probably fix it my self for about $3-$4.

as far as my job goes. i feal fairly confident that my job is safe, but you never know. but if it does happen. i believe the severance package will include job placement assistance. so it should end up fine either way. but i do like my job.
(bourban- we'll find out over the next couple of days wont we )

well, thanks to all of you, your comments really make me feel better. i'll be sure to keep you informed.

------------------

Lord of the Screen Shot
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin

[This message has been edited by slackerboy (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 02:23 AM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Good going, Slackerboy! Keep focusing on the good, and the bad generally takes care of itself. We're all pulling for you.

Just as an example, last week I got wind that there was a lot of shakeup going through our company (IT/career skills school) and that corporate was moving in, going to reshape a lot of positions, blah, blah, blah...anyway, rumors were flying all over the place, my supervisor (lady network administrator who I like a LOT because she's such a straight shooter; a reserve army sergeant) is looking at getting another position, and I was going haywire with worry. Then I talked it over with my wife and she suggested that I start looking too, but not to let it get to me. Well, lo and behold, this week we have a meeting, the corporate structure is NOT moving in on us, a couple of upper-level admin positions are getting redefined, and everything's going to be fine. Shows how much of a mountain one can make out of a molehill. Grapevines are great, as long as they don't turn into hysteria.

There's a motto I've learned to live by: "Why worry? It'll probably never happen." It's true...most of the things we worry about never manifest.

I'm really glad to hear you got a plan of action. Rely on your friends for strength and support, too...that's why they're friends.

Old 05-16-2001, 02:31 AM   #17
Rikard

Focus on the good but don't forget the bad
if you keep the downsides surpressed it will copme out on a moment when things look to be bad
It's better to tell them
even if nobody listens
it needs to be said

------------------

Wah is stupid 8D

Old 05-16-2001, 03:15 AM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

A howl to you friend!

I know what you are going through! Been in a similiar position!

I´m very sad to hear you being at the bad end of things. i hope it will turn out to the better real soon for you!

And well, don´t feel like you getting us down friend! As someone else said, what are friends for!? We are here for you, mostly we can only listen and encourage you to go on. Know that many wished we could do more..

If things feels to bad, try a howl, might sound silly, but it sure feels better after ..

Good luck friend!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-16-2001, 05:27 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Slackerboy, you strike me as being a very positive person who can always look at the upside yet learn from the downside. I have all the confidence that you will take this all in your stride and find a way to get things to work out for you in the end. Your second post was proof of that.

Good luck, mate.

------------------
Old 05-16-2001, 07:57 AM   #20
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

If all else fails look take out your pipe and get yourself some herbal medication.

------------------
Welcome to hell.