Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Is it me or is there a drought of good RPGs?

Vampire the Masquerade was good but the bugs were too annoying to play through twice. KOTOR II looks good. But what else is there?

I should point out that I can't play MMORPGs right now, or I'd probably try Warcraft.

Are role-playing games experiencing/heading for another crap period? It's funny because when Bioware was working on the Neverwinter Nights XPs they constantly posted that "the industry is moving away from longer games, toward shorter games with more 're-playability'". But I don't think I've replayed any games so damned much as BGII and Torment.

Sigh.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

KOTOR 2 wasn't really all that good. The good ones are now in the past. Try Arcanum, the original KOTOR, or try console RPGs, which, if you are like me, really aren't RPG's, more of action/adventure games.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

As with anything, RPGs will go in cycles. Right now there isn't a lot of good available RPGs though companies like BioWare are working on a few new ones. IMO, NWN is the best option out there because 1) there are some tremendous community created modules and 2) it really shines in online play.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Riftmaker
Elminster

Shorter games are just retarded. Eventually you just get tired of the whole engine in and of itself that you want to kill it.

My suggestion is to go play IWD II.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

IWDII was alright. My girlfriend went nuts on it and she usually likes stuff like the Sims.

NWN was ok too, but the engine kind of annoyed me. Played some of the modules but not too many.

In general I'm just afraid we've had our Renaissance and are moving into the plastic age. Or maybe I'm just getting old...
Old 02-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

If you have not played it before I suggest you go retro and play Wizards and Warriors. I have played it many times and despite its age it is still a great game. You could go and check the W&W Forum here at Ironworks where I usually hang out.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Sacred.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Riftmaker
Elminster

Sacred is more of a strategy than RP game.

If you haven't played any of the Wizardry series, you must go. Now.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Kotor 2 was nice. You can see they cut almost 50% of the game out, anf if they had implemented everything we might still be venerating it in 10 years, but what did get in the game is nice enough, if not perfect.

Personally, I think I liked the story of Kotor 2 as much as that of the first one, if not more.

If they fix the influence system so that your npcs behave like they should depending on their aligment I'll be very happy.