Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2002, 01:02 AM   #41
DeSoya
Manshoon

Yo!
Just a thought on armors here:
There isn't enough of a difference between light and medium armors to make it worth it. Check it out for yourselves. The best medium armor is a breastplate which cashes in at a +5 AC. Officially woo. Compared to the chain shirt, all the medium armors are lame unless magic. And heck.... If you're whipping out the magic you might as well just get heavy armor made out of mithral. It counts as medium armor. Half plate is useless as well. Even if you can afford it (obviously not at the start of the game) avoid it at all costs (sorry... not pun intended).
Another thing to notice is that if you are a barbarian wearing medium armor your speed bonus is added on after movment penalties are taken into affect. So your dwarven barbarian should still move 25 ft per round while wearing chain (or dwarven plate mail... drool. Dwarven plate. yum).
I would add to what Wolfgir said and go so far as to recommend you would be druids to just stay away from hide armor and rely on quick feet and good friends (fighters=meat shields).

DeSoya
Old 05-07-2002, 03:32 AM   #42
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

DeSoya.
Breasplates are one of the best medium armours there is. Low weight, and have a pretty high Dex modifier. It allows movement, easy to upgrade to an expansive metal.. Which I donīt think will be taht easy afterall.. Remember the Drizzt books? "A kings ransom on a common guard.."

Druids do suffer from the Hide armour since it has very low dex. Choosing your armour is importatn due to class. A fighter has to look for both dex and and how to maximise ac. An elven fighter with high dex gets a better AC with a Breastplate then if he wears a Fullplate! So they are useful the medium armours indeed.

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #43
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

OKay, here are my final stats

Viconia
STR- 14
DEX- 10
CON- 12
INT- 11
WIS- 16(!)
CHA- 13 (To be increased to 14 at Level 4)
Feat: Armor Proficiency (light)

Attalus (He decided to retain the name)
STR- 14
DEX- 13
CON- 14
INT- 10
WIS- 11
CHA- 15
Feats: Toughness, Great Fortitude,Armor Proficiency (Light)
Right?

[ 05-07-2002, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Galadria ]
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:47 PM   #44
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
OKay, here are my final stats

Viconia
STR- 14
DEX- 10
CON- 12
INT- 11
WIS- 16(!)
CHA- 13 (To be increased to 14 at Level 4)
Feat: Armor Proficiency (light)

Attalus (He decided to retain the name)
STR- 14
DEX- 13
CON- 14
INT- 10
WIS- 11
CHA- 15
Feats: Toughness, Great Fortitude,Armor Proficiency (Light)
Right?
You donīt have to choose the armour proficiencies, you get that with the class, unless you play two wizards.

Viconia was a cleric right? Then she can use all armours without problem. SHe should go for the best available since she wonīt suffer from the low dex modifiers.
I have forgotten what Attalus was supposed to be, but sounds like a fighter class there, so you wonīt need to soend the feat (if that is the case on armour there eother)

Old 05-08-2002, 01:46 PM   #45
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Wolfie, Attalus is a Paladin. What feats would you suggest instead of the armor ones?
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 05-08-2002, 05:54 PM   #46
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Wolfie, Attalus is a Paladin. What feats would you suggest instead of the armor ones?
As a human Paladin Attalus would get 2 feats at 1st level...depending on how you play him I would choose weapon focus, improved initiative, extra turning, and/or power attack. I wouldn't waste a feat on toughness, 3 hp's in the longrun on a fighter type is not very noticeable.
For the cleric maybe either extra turning or a martial weapon proficiency if you really want to customize her.

-not Wolfie, but I hope it helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S. How do you plan on playing a drow? They're not in NWN, well officially anyway.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:13 PM   #47
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

All help appreciated, Madriver. I'm just gonna load Vickey's portrait into the game (hopefully, it will be there, but if not, I have it so that I can Custom it) and make her a generic Elf. From then on, it's Roleplay. BTW, have you seen the portrait/wallpaper of Almareth de Tylmarande? I guess that she is going to be a Paladin NPC in NWN, especially since they quote her as saying, "Duty is everything, the highest joy and the deepest sorrow." I can tell that I'm gonna have to watch Attalus around her.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:30 PM   #48
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Galadria,

I'm sending you ANOTHER pic for IWD2 that I KNOW attalus will love. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 03:15 PM   #49
DeSoya
Manshoon

Galadira,
If I were you I'd dump the feats you chose for Attalus. The reasons are this: You have a d10 hit die so with your current con you'll start out with 12 HP at first level. The great fortitude might be handy if you have a vindictive DM but on the whole a Paladin's saves are already some of the best in the game. At first level you'll have a +6 fort save anyway (+2 base save, +2 con bonus, +2 cha bonus). Add another two to this just seems like overkill to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Since Attalus has a 14 dex you have some option as per the feats you can give him. My suggestions would be to get pair of feats that feed into each other. Power attack and Cleave are a proven standard. Dodge and mobility would be useful if you see him running past alot of monsters to attack mages or something. Looking into the future you could pick up mounted combat and weapon focus (longsword) so you could eventually pick up the Cavalier prestige class. Adding some flair is always nice so Attalus could wield a Bastard sword. That would nessitate an exotic weapon proficiency in bastard sword (so you could wield it one handed) and then weapon focus is always handy.

Wolfgir,
I would disagree with the breastplate being good armor. Certainly it is the best medium armor but that doesn't mean much (at least to me [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I will admit that once I actually sat down and did the comparison the breasplate was better than I thought previously. The movement penalty isn't worth it in my mind. The chain shirt is only 1 AC bonus less and its overall specs are much better than the poor, beknighted breastplate (Dex bonus is only one higher though, as I look at it for a third time). So... My tone dripping with derisive dismissal and hauntin overtones of haughty condecension I say that medium armor is not worth the money. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

DeSoya
Old 05-11-2002, 06:02 AM   #50
WOLFGIR

-DeSoya, I donīt argue with you over the chainshirt. Looking at the stats, itīs truelly one of the best armours in the game actually. I donīt know why they even bothered with adding chainmail or scalemail actually. The logic progression would be chainshirt/hide(becuase of the poor druids)/breastplate. And then onwards.

Also compaire the Splint mail with the banded mail. Nobody would ever think of getting a splint mail really. The naded mail is so much better...

I really womder what they thought of making thoose armours really. My idea was that if you want a bit better AC and are willing to loose some of your movement and donīt have the high dex, the breastplate is an option. You might say that breastplate is the best mediumatmour, but also the only medium armour worth itīs name!

The scalemail for example is only if you are low on money.

--Galadria
I would take weaponfocus (prefered weapon) and cleave.