Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2003, 05:32 AM   #1
Djinn Raffo
Ra

wait a minute i'm Canadian!
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'll be amazed if he isn't the front runner for the Republican nomination in '08.

It will certainly be a history making election because the Democrats will probably see Hillary giving her best shot at their nomination.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:47 AM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Unfortunately, I think Colin Powell will miss any real oppurtunity at the Presidency. I simply think America is still not capable of electing an African-American president.

I think Hilary may someday have a shot at being the first woman in the office. But, I think she's smart enough to let at least one other woman fail first.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

It could be an excellent opportunity for the Republican party to remedy their public relations.

Not only would it show that the Republican party is not a "white" party but unlike Bush Colin Powell is not an unpopular face in Europe.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
Rokenn
Galvatron

Colin Powell is about the only current republican I could see myself voting for, I've always been impressed by him.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

All good points on Powell, guys. He is really a good example of someone who has earned so much respect on merit alone that he is able to cross race, class, party, and national lines w/ respect to the opinions about him.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I've been hoping he'd run for ages! I thought he would have won in 1998, had he chose to run against Clinton. HE was they one that Slick Willy was the most afraid of.

Of course Harry Bontafelle (sp?) would not have voted for him, cause he is an Uncle Tom. Lord only knows what he calls Candella Rice!
Old 02-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #8
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Unfortunately, I think Colin Powell will miss any real oppurtunity at the Presidency. I simply think America is still not capable of electing an African-American president.

I think Hilary may someday have a shot at being the first woman in the office. But, I think she's smart enough to let at least one other woman fail first.
Hmmmm...gotta disagree Timber. The problem with a black american(FYI, I HATE all of those stupid PC terms: African-American, Asian-American, etc...where were you born? America! You're an AMERICAN!...anyway...) being elected as President is, the wrong black Americans run. Jesse Jackson. HAH Al Sharpton. HAHAHAHAHA. If there were a black American candidate running who was qualified, popular, and that the people could really get behind, he or she could easily win.

IMO...Two words: Condoleezza Rice! I would vote for her any day. Colin Powell is a great man, and a political vunderkind...but he's too much the dove for my *personal* taste. Although, if he *did* get the Repub nod, I'd definitely vote for him. I would just vote for a different person in the primaries.

Speaking of other notable women...I wish Libby Dole had managed to get the nod from the Republicans in 2000, I would have voted for her too. I *am* rather happy with Bush...but, I think Elizabeth Dole could have done wonders in the White House during the current situation. And, with Bob there to assist her...Wow, what a combo!

[ 02-03-2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Nachtrafe ]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, Nachtrafe, but I think there are simply too many members of the 50+ crowd in the south that simply would not vote for a black man/woman on the sheer principles of race. I agree with you that these folks are good choices, but I think we're giving too much credit to the majority of Americans if we think them capable of overlooking the race issue.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Wellllll...Maybe. But, I suppose we could just wait another 20 or 30 years, then they'll all be dead. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though...When you consider things strictly on an Electoral Vote basis, the most of the really large Electoral states(CA, NY, MO, IL)...I dont think it's such a stretch to believe that they would be willing to elect a black man(or woman). That's just MO though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Nachtrafe is offline   Reply With Quote