Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Cloudy's Cafe, a conversation zone, July 11, 2008

Hullo everyone. How does we all?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I have a stray cat in the house atm. He got bitten by something, am assuming a big dog cause there are Tons of them in the neighborhood. His front right let is broken I'm pretty sure, and his left back foot looks crunched.

Poor thing has already been one of those stray cats you just look at and think, "Man if you took that cat to the vet, imagine all the things they would find. He's a literal roadmap of abuse and neglect." Now I've caved and brought him inside. I just couldn't watch him disappear for a few days, only to hobble down the entire sidewalk to get to food on my front porch, hoping he didn't run into any kids, or abusive punks, or dogs (which are everywhere). At least he is safe now inside.

Called the closest vet in the area. They said they didn't do emergency stuff like possible broken bones. Then they said that if we try to take him somewhere else, there is a very high probability they will keep him, and since we don't know what he was bit from, they will kill him and do a rabies test.

So he stays in the house for awhile. I'm 90% sure he was bit by a dog and not something rabid, although we do have racoons around. Only time will tell i guess, I'm watching his behavior like a hawk.

Poor fella. I never thought I'd ever have much to do with Hawg, but here he is, and the longer he's stayed in the house the more I get attached to the old guy.

I hope I can take care of him so he lives. That way, in a month or so, I can maybe take him to a vet and they can rule out the rabies thing because it's been too much time. Hard to say what they will want to do with his legs. I worry the bones are healing crooked, although they don't look too bad.

I dunno, somebody needs to care about this poor cat, as nobody has ever before it is so apparent. I gladly take that responsibility. I think he is a good cat, just defensive because people have messed with him for so many years.

I have high hopes too. Not to just heal his legs, but his earmites as well.

Cat Rescue 911 in Progress!

Reality Show Recaps

Last edited by Ladyzekke; 07-12-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #13
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

I don't know whether to be glad for the cat or scared for you until that month's over. You just take good care on both issues.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Did you try calling some of the other vets just to see what they would say, LadyZ?

First of all, I find it somewhat disturbing that the closest vet said they don't do emergency stuff like broken bones. Was that because this was a stray or is that just general policy? I know if I owned a cat that got a broken leg and the closest vet said they didn't handle stuff like that, it would be the last time I ever called that vet.

I'm wondering if his/her warning not to call other vets is more to prevent you from discovering his slothful business practice? At the very least, it can't hurt to make a couple of phone calls to other vets to see if you get the same response.

I understand the concern about the rabies, but you seem to feel the chances of it are slim. On the other hand, the chances of his bones healing improperly are very high. So again, it couldn't hurt to at least call a couple of other vets and get their opinions.

Sounds to me like the first vet just doesn't want to be bothered and doesn't want you finding that out by checking with the competition.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unglaublich Verwustung View Post
I don't know whether to be glad for the cat or scared for you until that month's over. You just take good care on both issues.
Thanks. I think the cat, "Hawgs," is rabies free though. Most animals with rabies eventually stop eating and drinking, and so far so good!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Did you try calling some of the other vets just to see what they would say, LadyZ?

First of all, I find it somewhat disturbing that the closest vet said they don't do emergency stuff like broken bones. Was that because this was a stray or is that just general policy? I know if I owned a cat that got a broken leg and the closest vet said they didn't handle stuff like that, it would be the last time I ever called that vet.

I'm wondering if his/her warning not to call other vets is more to prevent you from discovering his slothful business practice? At the very least, it can't hurt to make a couple of phone calls to other vets to see if you get the same response.

I understand the concern about the rabies, but you seem to feel the chances of it are slim. On the other hand, the chances of his bones healing improperly are very high. So again, it couldn't hurt to at least call a couple of other vets and get their opinions.

Sounds to me like the first vet just doesn't want to be bothered and doesn't want you finding that out by checking with the competition.
They just said they didn't have emergency facilities. They usually send emergencies to this other place down the street, which are also consequently the ones who will kill Hawgs to do a rabies test.

Unfortunately rabies is a big issue in our area every single year. Raccoons are always the main culprit too. Knowing if there is a rabid animal in a neighborhood is of high importance, so yes, that takes way more precedent than some stray cat that looks like he's seen better days anyway. And I can understand that, public safety and all. And I'm not hindering that right now because Hawgs is contained inside. If he exhibits rabies-like symptoms, then I'll call animal control. But I, again, do not think he has rabies. I think he wandered into one of many yards that have BIG dogs and did his usual arm swipe and got his arm bit for it.

Cerek, I did call one other vet, even though I hate their location, it is a nightmare getting out of there. They did say the same thing about rabies. But again I'd not want to use them for a vet anyway because of their location. So. When I think of yet another vet that maybe I can take him too, I don't want to ruin it right now. In other words, I don't want to call some vet, and maybe they have caller ID, and they report me or something for having a possible rabid animal, bla bla. One of our neighbors has already called animal control on Hawgs for just hanging out in his yard. This neighbor hates cats, birds, trees, you name it, and calls police on people, and animal control, frequently.

So I'm just gonna keep him for a bit. And you know, he got hurt a few weeks ago. It was only last week we managed to finally see him, and get him to come inside the house. So a lot of the healing process has begun, and thanks to a friend, he's also getting some kitty antibiotics.

Looking a bit better today. Brighter in the eyes. Appetite still very well LOL. Sigh. I did NOT want another cat. Feeding strays outdoors is one thing, but did NOT want another cat inside. Nevertheless some stray who is kind of retarded in the head because of who knows what. But here we are eh? I can just see it now. In the end I'll get him to a vet, and he'll get fixed however. I'll spend lots of money. He'll finally get fixed. And I won't have the heart to let him outside again and risk him wandering away to never be seen again. So...Yep I have a cat again.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Wendy, my friend... they're attracted to your warm heart and caring nature.. they know and it's like a beacon to them all... and God Bless you for being who you are! It'll take a few days for the antibiotics to help him if they're going to, but if he's eating and getting his meds in, with some luck you should see a bit of improvement in the next few days! Hawgs is a lucky kitty!

LOL, I said I wouldn't take any more in after my Shu kitty died... and I have 5 now... LOLOL.. I think we're marked and weak when it comes to taking in the cats, dear sis! But it's a good thing, in my book, hard as it is to lose them, at least I know we're helping a few along the way to have a nicer life.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Theo is barely 8 weeks old and acts like he's been here for years.. the littley fuzzball has the run of the house, is completely litter trained and hasn't had one accident in over a week. Unlike his sibling, Ursula who had to be kept in one room or under surveillance as she had about a dozen accidents over a few weeks. She needed extra little litter boxes in each room but not Theo! He's on the accelerated track for freedom of the house... We didn't let his slightly older siblings have full run of the place for a month or more after they got here.

He meows when he wants something, it's great- he wants to be put down to go use the box, he mews, he wants to go eat, he mews and toddles off to his dry food bowl, he wants to play, he mews and jumps one of his siblings... He wants to see what you're doing at the sink and he mews at your feet... he's so funny! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theo sleeps2.jpg (100.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*slithers down the stairs to the back of the room*

Evening, all. What a day... 330 mile trip down past Indianapolis, and halfway through, my phone dies. I learned a new phrase tonight... "Access Powered Logo Screen of Death". It can happen to Palm phones, and it means I need a new phone

Unfortunately, I'm down here until Thursday... so I may not be able to call anyone until Friday. Some folks will appreciate that... others may not

*grabs the jar of endless M&Ms*

I'll be sitting here for a while... contemplating...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Sad Re: Cloudy's Cafe, a conversation zone, July 11, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
I have a stray cat in the house atm. He got bitten by something, am assuming a big dog cause there are Tons of them in the neighborhood. His front right let is broken I'm pretty sure, and his left back foot looks crunched.

Poor thing has already been one of those stray cats you just look at and think, "Man if you took that cat to the vet, imagine all the things they would find. He's a literal roadmap of abuse and neglect." Now I've caved and brought him inside. I just couldn't watch him disappear for a few days, only to hobble down the entire sidewalk to get to food on my front porch, hoping he didn't run into any kids, or abusive punks, or dogs (which are everywhere). At least he is safe now inside.

Called the closest vet in the area. They said they didn't do emergency stuff like possible broken bones. Then they said that if we try to take him somewhere else, there is a very high probability they will keep him, and since we don't know what he was bit from, they will kill him and do a rabies test.

So he stays in the house for awhile. I'm 90% sure he was bit by a dog and not something rabid, although we do have racoons around. Only time will tell i guess, I'm watching his behavior like a hawk.

Poor fella. I never thought I'd ever have much to do with Hawg, but here he is, and the longer he's stayed in the house the more I get attached to the old guy.

I hope I can take care of him so he lives. That way, in a month or so, I can maybe take him to a vet and they can rule out the rabies thing because it's been too much time. Hard to say what they will want to do with his legs. I worry the bones are healing crooked, although they don't look too bad.

I dunno, somebody needs to care about this poor cat, as nobody has ever before it is so apparent. I gladly take that responsibility. I think he is a good cat, just defensive because people have messed with him for so many years.

I have high hopes too. Not to just heal his legs, but his earmites as well.

Cat Rescue 911 in Progress!

Poor thing!

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote