Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2001, 04:41 PM   #11
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I never could fit in with the D&D crowd. That's why I only play computer games now. I always had to DM or GM because nobody else remembered the rules well enough. Every time I tried to play I wound up with a disgruntled player who wanted to play THEIR verson of the fantasy land. You know, the one where sawed off shotguns are effective at returning fire on snipers 100 yards away. The guy was mad when the sniper killed him. All he had to do was run! He could have even used a luck point to avoid death, but he didn't want to play anymore because I was unfair. One guy refused to play a D&D Ravenloff campaign designed for 7-8th level unless I let him use his 21st level multi-classed elven, egyptian, fighter/mage/cleric with his whole load of overpowered goodies. Even though I had designed a whole group of characters that fit the story perfectly and had balanced equipment and skills. *Sigh* He then proceeded to tell me that HE had to be the one rolling when I was checking whether or not they saw secret doors or detected something. Doesn't it defeat the purpose to tell someone that they're rolling to see if they see something they don't know about? He threw a fit every time he was presented with a problem that he wasn't allowed to blast to smithereens. My effort to have everyone role play an actual story line was not appreciated. I wanted to strangle him! Both these guys wern't kids! They were in their twenties for crying out loud! I sold all of the role playing stuff shortly thereafter and stuck with computer games. I've been much happier since!
Old 12-11-2001, 06:10 PM   #12
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I think we all faced players like that, Sir Kenyth.

Tell you what, I'll start a new post where gamers can air their gripes and grumbles at PnP AD&D.

Maybe we can all have a good, cathartic experience from it.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:15 PM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
I think we all faced players like that, Sir Kenyth.

Tell you what, I'll start a new post where gamers can air their gripes and grumbles at PnP AD&D.

Maybe we can all have a good, cathartic experience from it.

Yeah, but every time?!
Old 12-11-2001, 10:49 PM   #14
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Check out my new post concerning Aggravations from PnP.

I would love it if you could copy or move your original post over there. That's what prompted the thread and your story is perfect for that posting.

And - YES - We had to deal with "Nikki" in almost every game we played. We learned the game together, so he was usually involved in every game we played.

It was VERY frustrating....especially for the DM.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:36 PM   #15
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

well, I've been told I look the part of a D&D geek, 21, thick glasses, can tell you exactly how many gray hairs my dwarf has... or am i fanatic... i've been collecting dice since I started gaming, and pick up a new set every time i go to a game store (as long as I don't already have everything they've got), and yes I do take all 4 Crown Royal bags with me when we play.

but I don't have any tat's or piercings... just an overobsessed comuter geek
Old 12-12-2001, 10:52 AM   #16
Elif Godson
Dracolich

People are alway's surprised when I tell them that I play. Usually every Friday. I know what you mean by looking the part and the silence
when you walk into a store on the weekend or a game night. I felt like
I was a cop walking into the middle of some illegal operation or something. Some of those player's and Dm's need to lighten up a bit.
I had a friend who got so obsessed with the game that that was all he
would talk about, it got kind of creepy for awhile until he got a girl friend. Then all was normal again
Old 12-12-2001, 12:47 PM   #17
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

It's truly heart-warming to hear of people like you!
The whole "Role-playing generaton" seem to consist of 19-25 year olds, with funny-looking hats

Well those of us who gave gaming its commercial kickoff (not the origin but its major success as a financially sound concern) are weeeeeeellllllll over 18 [img]smile.gif[/img] try in our 40's [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2001, 01:01 PM   #18
MagiK

Oh! and I dont look look the part either..in that I wear clean clothes and own real shirts not just T-shirts, I bathe regularly, have a nice clean complexion, I have had sex with REAL women...more than once too....and do not weigh in excess of 350lbs.

Old 12-12-2001, 01:27 PM   #19
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Well those of us who gave gaming its commercial kickoff (not the origin but its major success as a financially sound concern) are weeeeeeellllllll over 18 [img]smile.gif[/img] try in our 40's [img]smile.gif[/img]

I know
It's just that I don't see you guys around..