Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

If one's resistance is at 10, does this mean that there is a 10 percent chance that the spell will not affect the character?

[ 02-05-2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Trau ]
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Precisely. Your MR is the % chance that the spell will have no effect on you whatsoever--you won't even have to make a Saving Throw.

Certain spells (such as Time Stop and Imprisonment) completely ignore Magic Resistance, though.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Mordamir
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, they roll 1d100...if the dice rolls 10 or less, you resisted the spell. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 PM   #4
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img] Is this the same for other resistances?
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:23 PM   #5
Decurion
The Magister

I've asked this before but I'm not sure the question was understood. Do resistance percentages stack? I mean, if you have something like the amulet of magic resistance which affords you 5% magic resistance or so (maybe ten, I can't remember, but for the sake of argument...), and you put on the belt of inertial barrier, do you then have 55% magic resistance? Or do you have 50% + 5% of 50%.

thanks, decurion
Decurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 10:34 PM   #6
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Decurion:
I've asked this before but I'm not sure the question was understood. Do resistance percentages stack? I mean, if you have something like the amulet of magic resistance which affords you 5% magic resistance or so (maybe ten, I can't remember, but for the sake of argument...), and you put on the belt of inertial barrier, do you then have 55% magic resistance? Or do you have 50% + 5% of 50%.

thanks, decurion
In most cases resistance percentages stack, but remember the Belt of Inertial Barrier gives you resistance to magical damage, which is treated differently. One exception that I am aware of is Carsomyr, which sets MR to 50%, regardless of what it was before.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Trau:
Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img] Is this the same for other resistances?
Resistances to elements like fire/cold/acid/magic _damage_ are treated differently. A 50% fire resistance doesn't have a 50% chance of no damage, but every time you recieve fire damage, 50% of the damage is resisted, so a fireball that does 20 points of damage will only hit your character for 10 points.

With magic resistance the spell either works or doesn't, the better your resistance, the more chance to block the spell.

Whether resistances stack or not depends on whether the item adds resistance, or SETS resitance to X%. Be careful that some of the item descriptions aren't clear, or are erroneous, so check it by equipping the item and check your characters profile.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote